LED Bulbs Help !

Oddie

Reaction score
Evening All.

I know LED bulbs can be a bit of a touchy subject on here but i am hoping somebody can help me out. I bought some LED number plate light bulbs for my car about a year ago and upon installation i noticed that the LED bulbs were flicking, pretty much like a constant pulsing. I haven't got DIS in my car so it never complained about a bulb being out or gave me any errors but clearly they wasn't right.

I then realised that the LED's i had bought were a touch too small, so i ordered some different ones which were the correct size and they worked a treat. They have been fine for nearly a year now.

I bought myself a reverse camera that fits into one of the number plate light slots. The camera has a built in LED bulb next to the camera. Fitted the camera today and when i turned the lights on, both LED's flashed 3 times and then went off. No errors or warnings they just went off.

I then tried one of the older, smaller LED's and this time both LED's stay on but i get the pulsing effect from both LED's.

I then fitted one of the standard halogen bulbs to the other number plate bulb and this works perfectly, the LED one on the camera side stays on perfect and doesn't flicker, and the halogen one works fine as well.

So in summary one LED causes both sides to flash 3 times and power off, the other LED causes a constant pulsing effect and the halogen bulb works perfectly but ofcourse stands out like as sore thumb next to the LED one.

Any ideas what is causing this ?

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

hi oddie,

it could be that the bulbs LED bulbs you have is a non canbus bulb?

Try getting to audi and buy the OEM LED and install that.

i can give you a part number if you let me know which side the none camera lamp it.

Thanks

Evening All.

I know LED bulbs can be a bit of a touchy subject on here but i am hoping somebody can help me out. I bought some LED number plate light bulbs for my car about a year ago and upon installation i noticed that the LED bulbs were flicking, pretty much like a constant pulsing. I haven't got DIS in my car so it never complained about a bulb being out or gave me any errors but clearly they wasn't right.

I then realised that the LED's i had bought were a touch too small, so i ordered some different ones which were the correct size and they worked a treat. They have been fine for nearly a year now.

I bought myself a reverse camera that fits into one of the number plate light slots. The camera has a built in LED bulb next to the camera. Fitted the camera today and when i turned the lights on, both LED's flashed 3 times and then went off. No errors or warnings they just went off.

I then tried one of the older, smaller LED's and this time both LED's stay on but i get the pulsing effect from both LED's.

I then fitted one of the standard halogen bulbs to the other number plate bulb and this works perfectly, the LED one on the camera side stays on perfect and doesn't flicker, and the halogen one works fine as well.

So in summary one LED causes both sides to flash 3 times and power off, the other LED causes a constant pulsing effect and the halogen bulb works perfectly but ofcourse stands out like as sore thumb next to the LED one.

Any ideas what is causing this ?

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

hi oddie
i know this may sound silly but did you try the bulbs in both ways :idea: you never know
good luck

Funny you should say that, I didn't try changing the bulb around but I just assumed it would only work one way. I will give it a go in the morning, not holding out much hope though. T8ups, could you supply me with a bulb that will work ? Also, could you get me that part number for the oem LED, i need the one for the drivers side, the camera is in the passenger side

Funny you should say that, I didn't try changing the bulb around but I just assumed it would only work one way. I will give it a go in the morning, not holding out much hope though. T8ups, could you supply me with a bulb that will work ? Also, could you get me that part number for the oem LED, i need the one for the drivers side, the camera is in the passenger side

Just ordered the OEM LED unit from Audi, ready for collection tomorrow. £9.96 plus VAT for anyone who is interested. Hopefully it will work !

Well, just collected the LED unit and installed it.... no joy however. It just does the same thing as it did with the LED bulb in that side, flashes 3 times and then both sides go off. It must be something to do with the LED on the camera unit. Not sure why a halogen one being in the other side makes them both work though ?

Looks like i will just have to have one LED and one halogen :(