Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PetrolDave

Thread: Fuel Gauge NEVER Reading Full

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel

Fuel Gauge NEVER Reading Full

I've been having this problem since I bought the car and all this time I just thought nothing of it until last night. I filled the car up to the point I spilt fuel out accidentally. So I kind of gathered it was full at that point. Got back into the car and the gauge was reading this:

So I drive around for a bit and noticed that going down certain gradients or parking on my drive (facing down) it would show this:

Which is what I believe to be the correct reading. I'm finding it extremely annoying that it can't tell me when my tank is full even though I know it is. It appears to also be affecting my MTE readings by up to 20 miles depending on where the gauge sits.

Also another thing to note is that when filling up, the pump will always click off when filling unless I rotate the nozzle about 60-90' clockwise. Could it be some sort of ventilation or overflow has become blocked in the tank somewhere causing the gauge to read incorrectly or is this the norm for all the quattro owners on here?

Thanks in advance, Az.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

2. # ADS
    ADS

Tiptronic

Status
    Personally never had any regular problems with the fuel cutting out when filling up, but the petrol tank could well be different in the cab... from memory I think it's either: Saloon/Avant = 70 litres, Cab = 63 litres OR 2WD = 70 litres, Quattro = 63 litres.

OLd fuel gauges used to be as simple as a ball floating on top of the fuel, hence parking on a hill or going round a roundabout would give dodgy readings, not sure if today's designs are any more advanced than that? You'd like to think so given the amount of tech in cars!

You could remove the fuel sensors and check for anythink blocking them etc? They're usually (generally speaking) under the rear seat bench, should just unscrew.

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I may well try that if I get the chance. I was thinking it was more of a calibration issue than actual mechanical when it came to the sensor reading.

I believe the 2WD = 70L and the Quattros = 63L

~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

2nd Gear

Status
    I have a B6 but I'd imagine its the same equipment and my guage never shows properly full either

Neutral

Status
    Mine is very slow to totally fill and therefore the gauge is only at full for a very short time , my previous cars B5 & B6 had a air bleed button within the filler neck that you could press with the filler nozzle and therefore fill to total capacity but the B7 doesn't appear to have this ?

I think both the temp & fuel gauges can be calibrated from vagcom ?

6th Gear

Status
    You can very easily calibrate the gauge to read correctly when full using VCDS, see Audi A4 (8E) Instrument Cluster (8EC/8ED/8HE) - Ross-Tech Wiki

Simply brim the tank, and then save 65535 into adaptation channel 33 of the instruments at address 17 and it will work out the correct calibration factor.
    A4_MaJiK likes this.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Tiptronic

Status
    Just remembered that there is a setting in VCDS to set your fuel tank, either 63 or 70. If it thinks your 63 litre has a 70 litre capacity that could explain why it never displays FULL.

Where abouts in leicester are you?? I'm not too far away and could check your config if you haven't got the kit

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Just remembered that there is a setting in VCDS to set your fuel tank, either 63 or 70. If it thinks your 63 litre has a 70 litre capacity that could explain why it never displays FULL.

Where abouts in leicester are you?? I'm not too far away and could check your config if you haven't got the kit
    Im in the LE3 postcode. I can understand what you're saying, but why would the setting be incorrect in the first place? Perhaps we could try what Dave suggested as plan B? Really do appreciate the offer btw. I'll PM you my contact number and perhaps we can arrange something when you're down here or I don't mind coming to you either.

Azeem.