Fuel Gauge NEVER Reading Full

Reaction score
I've been having this problem since I bought the car and all this time I just thought nothing of it until last night. I filled the car up to the point I spilt fuel out accidentally. So I kind of gathered it was full at that point. Got back into the car and the gauge was reading this:

null_zps5e9c92a6.jpg

So I drive around for a bit and noticed that going down certain gradients or parking on my drive (facing down) it would show this:

null_zps3bea23b1.jpg

Which is what I believe to be the correct reading. I'm finding it extremely annoying that it can't tell me when my tank is full even though I know it is. It appears to also be affecting my MTE readings by up to 20 miles depending on where the gauge sits.

Also another thing to note is that when filling up, the pump will always click off when filling unless I rotate the nozzle about 60-90' clockwise. Could it be some sort of ventilation or overflow has become blocked in the tank somewhere causing the gauge to read incorrectly or is this the norm for all the quattro owners on here?

Thanks in advance, Az.

Personally never had any regular problems with the fuel cutting out when filling up, but the petrol tank could well be different in the cab... from memory I think it's either: Saloon/Avant = 70 litres, Cab = 63 litres OR 2WD = 70 litres, Quattro = 63 litres.

OLd fuel gauges used to be as simple as a ball floating on top of the fuel, hence parking on a hill or going round a roundabout would give dodgy readings, not sure if today's designs are any more advanced than that? You'd like to think so given the amount of tech in cars!

You could remove the fuel sensors and check for anythink blocking them etc? They're usually (generally speaking) under the rear seat bench, should just unscrew.

I may well try that if I get the chance. I was thinking it was more of a calibration issue than actual mechanical when it came to the sensor reading.

I believe the 2WD = 70L and the Quattros = 63L

Mine is very slow to totally fill and therefore the gauge is only at full for a very short time , my previous cars B5 & B6 had a air bleed button within the filler neck that you could press with the filler nozzle and therefore fill to total capacity but the B7 doesn't appear to have this ?

I think both the temp & fuel gauges can be calibrated from vagcom ?

Just remembered that there is a setting in VCDS to set your fuel tank, either 63 or 70. If it thinks your 63 litre has a 70 litre capacity that could explain why it never displays FULL.

Where abouts in leicester are you?? I'm not too far away and could check your config if you haven't got the kit

Just remembered that there is a setting in VCDS to set your fuel tank, either 63 or 70. If it thinks your 63 litre has a 70 litre capacity that could explain why it never displays FULL.

Where abouts in leicester are you?? I'm not too far away and could check your config if you haven't got the kit

Im in the LE3 postcode. I can understand what you're saying, but why would the setting be incorrect in the first place? Perhaps we could try what Dave suggested as plan B? Really do appreciate the offer btw. I'll PM you my contact number and perhaps we can arrange something when you're down here or I don't mind coming to you either.

Azeem.

I know bringing this up from the dead but did you ever sort this. 1 thing that bugs me is never being full. I tried to alter the coding for the gauge but it either reads completly brimmed whole time or the reading ive had since owning car.

There is a calibration function in vcds somewhere, you can brim the tank and then re calibrate to say full

Think its quite common. Ive got a quattro always seem to get int about the same amount and mpg is always pretty much the same.

Always have to fill it on half speed on the pump and the last 4 or so liters or slow speed on the pump and have the nozzle half way in-stops it cutting out.

Mine never gets to the full line but it'll still take £70 worth.