Vibration when idling

matt a4s line

Reaction score
Hi There Have a slight problem with my 2005 a4 2.0 tdi pd, The problem is vibration when at idle, the car drives faultless and pulls great but when stationary say at a set of traffic lights i can feel vibrations from the engine through my seat. Heres what I have done so far

Injector cleaner
Full service
Remap to 175bhp
Egr valve clean.
New clutch and flywheel 10k ago
Full engine rebuild to the new gear driven balance shafts 20k ago
Timing belt done with proper lockers

I have heard this can be a trait of these engines? however I think mine is slightly worse than most people suggest worn camshafts, injectors, not enough fuel at idle etc.....Any Ideas where to next? anyone had the same issues and found a solution?

Cheers matthew

Rock the engine on its mounts when turned off. It may be your engine mounts are worn. I had this issue on my old Golf. Although you could hear it knocking when moving off too.

would be nice to find out as well as mine does the same,audi said its got cracked inlet manifold check it nothing wrong with it and they wanted £970 to if one.

got the same thing happening to mine
took it in for a service last thurs
the guy put it on the computer to reset the service and done a few checks
he said that number 3 glow plug was off slightly and drawing a bit to much power
he said that it could be this thats causing the vibration on tick over
will let you know when he does it for me

would be nice to find out as well as mine does the same,audi said its got cracked inlet manifold check it nothing wrong with it and they wanted £970 to if one.

Is this on the 3.0TDI engine, I'm getting some vibrations on mine but nothing too concerning. I just thought it was present due to the size of the engine itself.

might be worth getting it scanned with VCDS to see if there is a misfire happening on idle

This is part and parcel of this engine. Mine does exactly the same when cold with white smoke. Pulls like a train and 48mpg 170 tdi.

Mine used to have a really lumpy tickover. Anyway I changed the vacuum unit on the inlet manifold because I was getting limp mode with underboost issues etc. Whilst apart I spent ages cleaning all the crud from the flaps on the inlet manifold and the egr ( egr not too bad though as only 18 months old ). Now runs perfectly - no lumpy tickover - could be the vac unit ( which did have a hole in the diaphragm when inspected ) or most likely just the cleaning.

2.0 tdi 170

Mines is the same (2.0 tdi 170).As said above part and parcel of the engine!!! According to audi!!!!