2006 a4 sline 2.0tdi auto has intermittant very rough start once upto temperature

white.akita

Reaction score
hi all, i recently bought a 2006 / 06 a4 sline 2.0tdi auto and 3 times upon starting it has sounded like a bag of spanners very very rough and then stalls 1 second after turning the key back.
everytime it has done it it has been upto temp then restarted around 10 min after being turned off , as if it is temp related.
so far i have not been able to replicate it and has not done it for over a week.
there are no fault codes logged when i have scanned it with vcds.
the car runs and drives perfectly.
any ideas anyone ?

It's your starter motor, the bendix gear is sticking. Had the exact same problem in my A4 2.0TDi Auto. When I fitted a new start motor I also fitted the starter motor heat sheild from an old B5 A4 and I never had the problem again. Also try Andrew Page in Darlington for a new starter motor, it's just the genuine Audi/VW unit with a bosch sticker over the audi badge & part number cost was around £80, but you will need give them your old unit back.

The Hi Torque geared starter for my cossie was only £80, but to get an original one rebuilt is £50 :confused: