Question for those in the know - A4 remaps

Av4nt

Reaction score
I am thinking of remapping my A4. could you advise of a few decent places that can do decent remaps please?

Are revo generally the best about as this seems to be the choice of most.
as its a stage 1, Am I right in thnking that I wouldnt need to upgrade anything on the car like you would to carry on to stage 2?

and for a stock turbo, would a remap put added pressure or wear on it? My car is on 124k and still running on stok turbo.. with this in mind is it wise to remap with that turbo or does it not make a difference.

Thanks

If you car is well maintained, i.e. regularly serviced and looked after when problem arise a remap should have no effect on it's reliability. If however the added power of a remap makes you change your driving style (more right foot) that is what will cause more wear etc, as it would without a remap.

Engines are built well within a tollerance and to meet EU standards amongst other things from the factory, a remap's main source of power gain is adding about 0.15bar to the turbo boost, then adjusting fuel ratios and timings etc to compensate and make the most of the engine.

If you have existing problems with the car, a remap will only make them more noticable, not cause them. Go for the remap! Where are you based?? R-Tech in Hinckley are excellent from personal experience, but it depends where you are...

What engine is your car? Petrol or Diesel? Power?

Diesel engines do not rely so much on boost increases as do petrol cars. Diesel turbos are also much less tolerant to boost increases compared to petrol engines in terms of durability. Let us know your exact spec and we can advise. Stage 1 and 2 are essentially marketing terms and don't mean a great deal. A completely standard car can be remapped, we adjust the map to match and and all specifications.

Thanks, Rick

Mine is a Diesel 2.0 TDI. And stock 140bhp. B7 2005.5

I did have a speedhawk xxl chip on it, which made it boost a shed load but I removed it for fear of prematurely killing the turbo.
That being said I put it on to save fuel as opposed to being right foot heavy.

Im in norwich, but I travel to manchester alot so i guess that opens up flexibility in where I could go.

It may be worth noting that when I got the car I did have some problems with it. Im pretty sure the prev owner did not take it for servicing as often as it should have been.
since I have had it its had a top engine rebuild and a new cam belt and kit (due to snapped cam tensioner bolt)
new EGR valve unit and a re wire of a part of the electrical system due to a fault.
I have had a cat back quad tip exhaust fitted recently also.

I'm from Manchester with exactly the same car as you. I'm going for a remap at awesome gti not far from the Trafford centre shopping centre.
Heard great things about them as a company and have all singing and dancing equipment there, plus it's always has a few cars there to ogle.

Well we are in Stockport so very close to you also. Our maps are written in house and fully customised to your car if you want something a little more special than a generic stage 1 map :) I would also highly recommend having the EGR valve disabled for long term reliability and drive ability.

Thanks, Rick

Rick, when you map out the EGR valve do you blank it off? Rason for asking is (i'm not sure on this yet) but my EGR valve might be playing up. Therefore if you just map it out it might still cause problems?

Hello Jas,

yes we blank it out. However, you can get away with not blanking it depending on what is wrong with it. If it is stuck shut (which is the most common) then the map is all you need. However if it is stuck open it needs blanking.

Thanks, Rick

Hi Rick, I get intermittant lumpy running from cold until the engine is warm. I think mine might be stuck (or sticking) shut?

Rick, are you able to Pm me with some more info and a rough quote for a standard stage 1 remap?
Ive also had a new EGR valve unit fitted within the last couple ofm months. Cheers