3.0 Tdi EGR Delete

bdub

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone any experience of EGR blanking on the 3.0tdi. As far as I can see the EGR provides Nox reduction at the expense of worse fuel economy, a less responsive engine and loads of sooty greasy crap in the intake.

I did a quick blank off of mine today ( using thin shim inbetween the TB and EGR pipe) and it ran better, smoother and better MPG.

Only downside was MIL light was on and VCDS showed EGR insufficient flow..... no surprise there then!

Does anyone know what the long term effect of blocking it off would be? would it damage the cooler / change over valve / EGR valve?

anyone any experience of this?

These systems should be properly deleted using software not only blanked as the fuelling map requires correcting in order to compensate for no more EGR gasses. Alot more complicated than that but tried to keep it simple LOL. Get it mapped out and you won't have a MIL light either.

I've had it mapped out, not blanked, just closed all the time. Had it done in conjunction with a DPF removal and remap so couldn't tell you how much difference that alone had on the car but overall it's much improved. Takes slightly longer to get up to temp on cold mornings as the air is all fresh and not recirculated, but that's the only downside. EGR valves are a waste of time and cause nothing but trouble in modern cars, they require cleaning and if they go wrong are expensive. It's a no-brainer to have it mapped out.

Especially with the 3.0tdi as the inlet manifold flaps has been blamed on the contamination from recicrulated air from the EGR valve in the past, although this is not confirmed.

I've had it mapped out, not blanked, just closed all the time. Had it done in conjunction with a DPF removal and remap so couldn't tell you how much difference that alone had on the car but overall it's much improved. Takes slightly longer to get up to temp on cold mornings as the air is all fresh and not recirculated, but that's the only downside. EGR valves are a waste of time and cause nothing but trouble in modern cars, they require cleaning and if they go wrong are expensive. It's a no-brainer to have it mapped out.

Especially with the 3.0tdi as the inlet manifold flaps has been blamed on the contamination from recicrulated air from the EGR valve in the past, although this is not confirmed.

Do you know if it's possible to have just the EGR mapped out without getting the DPF removed? I'm not a fan of black smoke you see.

I had mine blanked off, then mapped out as well.

Runs much better reduced a bit of lag slightly as well

Yeah you can have the EGR mapped out on it's own with nothing else. They just atler the specific bit of code within the ECU related to the EGR and adjust the fuel timings etc to compensate for it always being closed. Usually be a standard cost from someone capable of doing it, £150 isn't unheard of, but if you combine it with a remap they usually give a discount as they're already changing the ECU software... You could have a remap and EGR delete and leave the DPF.

Depending on your milage, and how you drive it (lots of short journeys will result in a short life expectancy for the DPF) it might be worth getting the DPF done before it needs replacing (circa £1.5k - £2k). The downward pointing tailpipe mean there's minimal smoke output and if the software is adjusted corrected the additional smoke should be minimal.

I do about 70% motorway and 30% town driving so I can't really see the DPF being an issue. I'm also thinking about getting exhausts changed to unleash a bit more grunt (noise) from the V6 which would be straight tailpipes. I do get smoke at the minute but I believe that's only because the EGR valve is still active.

Not too sure on remap as of yet as I've heard the manual clutches (be it that they're the same as the RS4) doesn't take too kindly to the additional torque and people have had vibrations and noises etc.

You should be at no special risk of your DPF getting clogged then. Might be something to bear in mind IF it ever does replacing... removal is much cheaper and you will never have the problem again.

I have also heard that the manual box has trouble dealing with the torque, but after a stage 1 remap (if done correctly), you get about 260bhp and more torque than the RS4... Fortunately I have the auto box so it's not been a problem for me.

If your current clutch is in good nick and you don't intend to boot-it every time you set off the clutch should fare pretty well, but if you have an aggressive driving style it will almost certainly shorten it's life...

Reactions: DieselJake
Also I'm thinking of doing the same as you in terms of exhaust... going to see a local garage/fabricator to see what he's got on offer in terms of tailpipes

Just so you know the 3.0TDI already produces more torque than the RS4 as standard hence why they use the RS4 clutch on the manual. Take a look at the figures below off Parkers website.

RS4 - 430 Nm 317 lb-ft
3.0 TDI -
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]450 Nm 332 lb-ft[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I may just have the power/torque curve smoothed out if it doesn't cost too much and have a maximum torque limit of 450Nm to preserve the life of the clutch. I'm generally a smooth driver anyway but I do enjoy the occasional launch every now and again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let us know how you get on with the exhaust fitting (on another thread) with some pics and prices too if you don't mind. I did read somewhere on the forum about a place in Birmingham called Torque Flow I think who apparently do a good job. I'm sure I had a browse through their website too at one point which has pictures on it of previous jobs they've done.[/FONT]

Removing a DPF does not mean lots of black smoke! Yes, you may get a small puff occasionally but it certainly shouldn't be smoking as a rule.

EGR needs to be mapped out, and leads to smoother running. If you are concerned about the clutch, then the map can be such that peak torque isn't raised, but you have a much wider spread of torque and hence more peak power :)

Rick

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
Removing a DPF does not mean lots of black smoke! Yes, you may get a small puff occasionally but it certainly shouldn't be smoking as a rule.

EGR needs to be mapped out, and leads to smoother running. If you are concerned about the clutch, then the map can be such that peak torque isn't raised, but you have a much wider spread of torque and hence more peak power :)

Rick

I know diesels tend to run alot less smoke when the EGR is deleted but surely the same setup with a DPF would mean NO smoke as opposed to less smoke if that makes sense?

How much do you cars charge (approximately) for these services?

If people here saw how much smoke my car produces with factory the exhaust and all "restrictions" still in tact ...

Hi, sorry to dig an old post up. Recently had my car mapped and the guy who did it told me it would be worth getting the EGR blanked. So plan to do so this weekend whilst deleting the DPF.

Sounds easy enough but when looking for a couple of blanking plates which will fit, eBay gives unspecific results when searching and google images doesn't do any favours.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Ideally want the EGR mapping out the same time as DPF this weekend as it'll save me some dorra

Cheers

PS its a A5 3.0tdi

I'm interested in loosing the egr as well but I'm still not clear on whether or not a blanking plate is needed if it's been mapped out. Can anyone confirm?