AUDI A4 Pulley noise problem

rumsey0808

Reaction score
I have a 2005 aUDI A4 3.0 cab and i have noticed over a long period of time a noise coming from the front belt.
I went to have it replaced today but the garage said they didnt have the right tensioner or something so couldnt do the job but he did state he thinks it sounds more of a bearings noise than the belt.

i have done a short video so you can hear the noise -

Audi a4 bearing noise - YouTube

before i take this to a main dealer and get royally shafted any help would be good as i have done some searching and this does seem a common question however the answers are always different.

Can't hear the noise on that clip, sorry :(

Seems to me possible culprits could include alternator pulley or the alternator itself. Once the belt is off it should be easy enough to check.

HTH

Just so you know if it's a 3.0TDI it has a fixed alternator pulley not a clutched one. I had a similar issue on mine where I would get belt squeal on full lock. Changed belt and tensioner which only helped slightly. Had the PAS pump changed in the end and been good ever since, baring in mind it was under warranty so can't give you any prices unfortunately.

HTH, Azeem.

Just so you know if it's a 3.0TDI it has a fixed alternator pulley not a clutched one. I had a similar issue on mine where I would get belt squeal on full lock. Changed belt and tensioner which only helped slightly. Had the PAS pump changed in the end and been good ever since, baring in mind it was under warranty so can't give you any prices unfortunately.

HTH, Azeem.

no mate its the 3.0 v6 petrol not diesel