Head unit help required

tr3m5

Audi Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

My recently acquired '06 Avant came with a Symphony double DIN CD/Tape player which worked fine but had a 'dead' line on the screen. A mate of mine had a Concert II Double DIN which I believe is from a later A4.

I went to fit it but it appears to have the quad lock connection and a strange double aerial connector as opposed to the ISO wiring and conventional aerial that the car has.

I've searched the forums and found plenty around going quadlock to ISO for aftermarket HU conversions but not the other way.

Can anyone offer any advice? Obviously I'd rather not have to re-wire.

Thanks

Cheers Dave,

Looks like what I'm after, shame it's across the pond though, is quote steep with postage. I found this place:

Buy Car Audio Quad Lock MOST Radio Connector parts

So I may just rewire it with quadlock connectors and get the dual Fakra convertor for the aerial and comms.

...And to think when I bought this car I said to myself I wouldn't fiddle with it! :)

Steep, are you serious?

Your other issue is the radio antenna system will be different so may experience degraded signal reception.

Steep, are you serious?

Your other issue is the radio antenna system will be different so may experience degraded signal reception.

Yes unfortunately I'm trying to do this on a budget and it looks like I need £20's worth of Aerial adaptor, an ipod interface (>£50) and CD changer so a £50 radio upgrade to allow me to play Mp3 discs soon turns to £200.

The aerial thing seems to be a bit of a minefield, my original HU has a DIN radio aerial and a small (believe top be a Fakra?) aerial which i presume is for bluetooth?

The new HU has a twin Fakra(?) aerial connector only. I've found an adaptor which looks like it is the correct item, but i'm not 100% sure:

Celsus ICE - car audio accessories

I'm thinking the most cost effective and tidiest way might be to just cut the ISO's and re-wire to quadlock spec (will post a guide if i end up doing this).
It's been a nightmare finding info on this as it seems that people tend to go the other way (i.e convert from quadlock loom to ISO aftermarket HU). After a number of hours on the net I'm pretty sure can get the quadlock connector parts for under £20 and I like the idea of a direct fit.

I'm going to look at the wiring this weekend and make sure it's relatvely straight forward before I buy the bits. Any confirmation on the aerial situation would be much appreciated though.

Cheers
Paul

Paul, I install these things all the time, take my advice, if you do intend on fitting the newer head unit, buy the adapter set, it will save you a shed load of time & hassle.

In all honesty, I would throw your money at an rns-e as that is compatible with antenna system & gives you allot more for your money, so much easier overall really is, sd card slots for mp3, drive for cd's, sat nav, allot better phone integration.

Fakra is the diversity radio antenna, nowt to do with BT & its not the connecions you need to worry about, its the design of the antenna system, newer radios after late 06 had different radio antenna systems so not completely compatible with older & vice versa, so radio may be degraded.

Paul, I install these things all the time, take my advice, if you do intend on fitting the newer head unit, buy the adapter set, it will save you a shed load of time & hassle.

In all honesty, I would throw your money at an rns-e as that is compatible with antenna system & gives you allot more for your money, so much easier overall really is, sd card slots for mp3, drive for cd's, sat nav, allot better phone integration.

Fakra is the diversity radio antenna, nowt to do with BT & its not the connecions you need to worry about, its the design of the antenna system, newer radios after late 06 had different radio antenna systems so not completely compatible with older & vice versa, so radio may be degraded.
As ever, sound advice and well worth taking note of.

The two different diversity systems (frequency and phase) means that if you fit a radio that needs the other system you will be down to a single antenna only - and if you often listen to stations that are far away then you may find you cannot receive them any longer.