leaking roof

fkr

Reaction score
hi all looking for help. just got a 5 yr old a4 cabriolet. hadit week and the roof has leaked . has anyone else had this problem?what can i do ?

hello fkr i had the same problem i was parked on a slope in a heavy downpour and my roof leaked on the front drivers side at the top of the a pillar theres a rubber seal down the a pillar with a hole forming a drain channel to the base of the pillar i just slowly and carefully poked a long piece of stiff wire down the hole to clear a blockage.i then cleaned and reproofed the whole roof using a cabriolet cleaner by autoglym no problems since hope this helps

hello fkr i had the same problem i was parked on a slope in a heavy downpour and my roof leaked on the front drivers side at the top of the a pillar theres a rubber seal down the a pillar with a hole forming a drain channel to the base of the pillar i just slowly and carefully poked a long piece of stiff wire down the hole to clear a blockage.i then cleaned and reproofed the whole roof using a cabriolet cleaner by autoglym no problems since hope this helps

Thanks, going to take it back today and ask them to do the above, hopefully this sorts it for me too

Cleaning and sealing is a must is water doesn't bead on the roof. I used autoglym the first time I did it, did the job but I've been told 303 cleaner/sealer is a much better product, so I'd recommend that.

If you actually read the A4 cab handbook it says some water ingress is normal...

I have a 2008 A4 Cabriolet which also suffers from this occasional leaking problem. It's on the driver's side and the water just catches the door side of the seat. Seems to be whenever the rain comes down at a certain angle! I tried revitalising the rubber seal a bit, which I think was a good thing to do, but which didn't seem to stop the problem. I also tried pushing a thin piece of wire down the driver side drain hole, but I wasn't sure where it was meant to come out, so I don't know that this cleared anything.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Cheers

Dev DSC 0033

Never had a problem with mine apart from green moss which is no longer a problem,i used the milton on mine then a good scrub with autoglym roof
cleaner,then fabsil the whole roof,fabsil is the way to go autoglym roof sealer doesn`t come close to making it water proof.

I'm with cabby Chris on this one, never had mine leak but just cleaned and sealed my roof with fabsil and it beads nicely now.

Cheers. What's this Fabsil stuff you mention? I've got Meguiar's for mine, but I'm not sure it's much cop really. It's tough to get the moss out. Thanks

Go to boots or tesco`s its called milton sterising fluid its in a blue bottle,put it in a spray type bottle and do it 50/50 with water if your moss is really
stubborn go a bit more on the fluid.

I had a go with the milton's as well, eventually found it in the baby isle. If you used a 50/50 mix I think I watered it down too much though, instructions on the bottle were a bit vague about cabby roofs?
After jet washing the roof I had a brain wave, I'll put the miltons into the pressure washer's detergent bottle, save a bit of elbow grease.
After turning the garage upside down looking for the bottle I eventually remembered that it was my old pressure washer (skipped many moons ago) that had it. Doh!

Personally i wouldn`t and didn`t use a power washer on a cab roof,but thats your choice,so how did the roof come out

Been power washing it for years, last couple have been quite vigorous, it's the only way I've found to get it really clean. Just don't point the jet into any of the joints with the windows and rear deck and it'll be fine. (I know the handbook says it's a no no but quite a few of us do it anyway, no disasters that I'm aware of)

Sorry mate i didnt ask anything about power washing a roof all i said that it was your choice if you want to power wash a roof thats up to you

Last edited:
Done my roof this morning. Hose, brush, moss deck treatment and sealent.

Left drying in the shade.

Will by some Milton and Fabsil for next time.

There was a post about green roofs. Members have been using anti moss decking treatment. I used it last year and was good. Just used what I had left but will give Milton a try next time along with fabsil

I'd imagine that the decking cleaner would have similar constituents to Milton, albeit, in differing concentrations. Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) (found in Milton strilising fluid) is effective at 'killing' lichen, mold and moss along with spores that may reinhabit the top fabric. The organisms that grow on and within the weave of the top fabric are basically the same ones that make their home on decking and patios.

Haartz Corporation manufacture the Sonnenland A5 top fabric from which the A4 tops are manufactured from (some aftermarket tops use alternative/equivilant fabrics) Thought the following link on cleaning might be of interest in terms of cleaning & care:

http://www.haartz.com/cleaning-guide/cloth-top-cleaning