JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Wheel offset question

I know this may sound stupid to those who know but, which way does the offset work? my wheels are et35 which has been fine until i fitted new pads, then they hit the carriers! I have now fitted 5mm spacers so I assume I now have et40?? I ask this because my wheels fill the arches right to the edge and if i change the wheels to et45 as standard it seems they would almost be proud of the arch.

Thanks, Phil

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    The thing with offset is, it's kind of the opposite of what you expect it to be. The lower the ET number, the further out the wheels and tyres sit. So, ET45 wheels sit 10mm further in than ET35 wheels. If you are using 5mm spacers with ET35 wheels, your effective offset is ET30, not ET40.

Slightly counter-intuitive, but that's how it is.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

loves quattro

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks, but that now means I definitely don't want to put on std offset wheels! what is the minimum I can go before I hit the caliper again please.
    Phil

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMill63 View Post
    Thanks, but that now means I definitely don't want to put on std offset wheels! what is the minimum I can go before I hit the caliper again please.
    Phil
    That all depends on the wheel design......oh, and you want to be pushing the wheels out to fill the arches, not have em as close to the calipers as you can

1st Gear

Status
    I like the older RS4/TT wheel, I think its AVUS? based on that wheel can I use the 20mm offset RS wheels????

Thanks.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMill63 View Post
    I like the older RS4/TT wheel, I think its AVUS? based on that wheel can I use the 20mm offset RS wheels????

Thanks.
    I've no idea. Probably, I guess, but they're sure going to stick out a lot.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    Okay so I've lowered my car 35mm and I'm on factory alloys at the moment (that will change). I was wondering what offset the factory wheels have.. Any Ideas?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzcuzz View Post
    Okay so I've lowered my car 35mm and I'm on factory alloys at the moment (that will change). I was wondering what offset the factory wheels have.. Any Ideas?
    Have a look at your spare wheel. The offset will be stamped on the inside of one of the spokes.

Neutral

Status
    I would but I've got a space saver. =/

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzzcuzz View Post
    I would but I've got a space saver. =/
    It's a pain, but at least you can jack it up and pop one of the wheels proper off.