Chris NottSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Cruise Control Problem, just not having any luck with this car at al

Ok, Yesterday everything fine do a lot of motorway miles and use the CC quite often. It was fine yesterday but when I came to use it today nothing,yada zilch! checked that it wasn't in the off postion and then after getting home took the car out on the motorway again, still nothing dead as a dodo.
    So question is, does this just need recoding or is their something more sinister a foot, that is going to cost me?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Could well be something which the cruise control system uses, like a brake pedal switch or clutch pedal switch perhaps? Get the car scanned using VCDS and it may well give you a clue as to where your problem is. Does the cruise light come up on the dash or not?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    Could well be something which the cruise control system uses, like a brake pedal switch or clutch pedal switch perhaps? Get the car scanned using VCDS and it may well give you a clue as to where your problem is. Does the cruise light come up on the dash or not?

Thanks for the reply No no light at all which is what gave it away in the first place as soon as I press the stalk to set the speed the light normaly appears but this time not a sausage..... dont have a good feeling about this...

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    its prob gona be the
    clutch or brake switch

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    its prob gona be the
    clutch or brake switch

Ok, that means a lot to me :-( what is it, and how much am I looking at to get it fixed....?

5th Gear

Status
    I bought a new clutch switch the other week and it was around 15 quid. Remove three bolts in the panel underneath the steering wheel, one each side of the panel and one on the side (remove the fuse box panel). Above the clutch is a white switch, around 10cm long. Disconnect the cable, twist the switch and pull out. Get the new switch, push the clutch down, hold the new switch ready in position, bring the clutch back up, twist the switch till is locks in position and then reconnect the cable.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

3rd Gear

Status

Re: Cruise Control Problem, just not having any luck with this car at al

If u have VCDS u can easily see if there is signal on the clutch/brake switch. Also allows you to check if the button on cruise control stalk is receiving signal.....

5th Gear

Status
    Strangely enough VCDS didn't show any issues with mine.
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

North East Forum Moderator

Status

Cruise Control Problem, just not having any luck with this car at al

Will most likely be the Clutch Switch.

Though as Wrath said, Ive had clutch switches work as they should through VCDS and then upon replacing it the CC works as it should..

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jb0o View Post
    Will most likely be the Clutch Switch.

Though as Wrath said, Ive had clutch switches work as they should through VCDS and then upon replacing it the CC works as it should..
    +1

My CC had stopped working, but VCDS showed no fault codes - changed the clutch switch (took less than 15 minutes) and all is OK now.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

2nd Gear

Status
    I have similar problem with a retrofit cruise. Not knowing when the green light should come on is it when you turn cruise on or when you set the speed?
    S3 - Sprint Blue BE [MY11] My Build Thread
    Options - Satnav, Bluetooth, MFSW, Privacy Glass, Nappa Leather
    Mods - Bluefin Stage 1, DV+, Revo Race CIA, Cruise, TPMS, Bilstein B8s, Eibach Pro Kit, H&M Spacers, Exclusive Leather Trims
    Future - Downpipe sports CAT, HPFP, Stage 2+, ALK, ARB, 2nd Mortgage

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Quote Originally Posted by mechanic69 View Post
    I have similar problem with a retrofit cruise. Not knowing when the green light should come on is it when you turn cruise on or when you set the speed?
    As soon as you activate it, ie press the button at your desired speed.
    Last edited by RMH1A4cab; 15th September 2012 at 10:28.

F
    ULL VCDS HEX-USB-CAN Interface available in the staffordshire area pm me.

4th Gear

Status
    Mine failed to work. Audi said it needed a new clutch pedal switch as it was not working properly thus making the car think the clutch was continuously engaged. That will stop the CC working. However, I did not have it fixed as audi wanted £15 for the part and £135 labour LMAO. Ill leave it not working...
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Buy the switch and Fix it yourself its easy to do.

F

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RMH1A4cab View Post
    +1

Did mine 2 weeks ago - took 5 minutes to get the trim off, 1 minute to do the clutch switch replacement, and 5 minutes to put the trim back on.

£135 for less than 15 minutes labour is a total rip-off.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic69 View Post
    Cruise stalk in off position - symbol off
    Cruise stalk in on position but cruise inactive - symbol off
    Cruise stalk in on position and cruise in use - symbol on

The green symbol on the DIS comes on when you set the speed, it's on to show you that the speed is being controlled.

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Cruise stalk in off position - symbol off
    Cruise stalk in on position but cruise inactive - symbol off
    Cruise stalk in on position and cruise in use - symbol on

The green symbol on the DIS comes on when you set the speed, it's on to show you that the speed is being controlled.
    That's what I meant (amended my post to be more clear) forgotten about the forward/back /on/off as I never turn it completely off.

F

2nd Gear

Status
    cheers
    S3 - Sprint Blue BE [MY11] My Build Thread
    Options - Satnav, Bluetooth, MFSW, Privacy Glass, Nappa Leather
    Mods - Bluefin Stage 1, DV+, Revo Race CIA, Cruise, TPMS, Bilstein B8s, Eibach Pro Kit, H&M Spacers, Exclusive Leather Trims
    Future - Downpipe sports CAT, HPFP, Stage 2+, ALK, ARB, 2nd Mortgage

Neutral

Status

Thanks for the update peeps - Could you or anyone supply a link or instructions on how to fix this.. already sorted me B/T thanks to this forum so Im game for anything at the mo....

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Not got a link to hand, the cover underneath the steering column it held on by three bolts, 2 are underneath either side of the steering wheel, the third is behind the fuse cover, (open the drivers door its at the end of the dash)
    The cover will drop you have to pull it gently towards you from the drivers seat as it clipped in where it's splits from the top half, be careful of the obd connector it will still be attached, I get this cover of in less than 2 minutes now as I've done it so many times its is very easy . Once this is out the way the clutch switch is easy visible and easy to change.
    Last edited by RMH1A4cab; 17th September 2012 at 15:01.

F

5th Gear

Status
    Just to add, once the cover is off, get your head in the footwell and you will see a white switch with a rectangular plug in it where the clutch pedal sits at the top. This is the cruise control switch. Unplug the connector, twist and pull out.
    Nathan

2nd Gear

Status
    Does anyone know if pressing the set button will alter a value when you log channel 066 with VCDS?

My cruise isn;t working, but clutch switch, brake switch and the on/off part of the cruise switch are working. Only thing that didn;t seem to do anything was the SET button but I'm not sure if its supposed to or not

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vroomtshh View Post
    Does anyone know if pressing the set button will alter a value when you log channel 066 with VCDS?

My cruise isn;t working, but clutch switch, brake switch and the on/off part of the cruise switch are working. Only thing that didn;t seem to do anything was the SET button but I'm not sure if its supposed to or not

Thanks for the information both of you. Thing is I forgot to ask DOH! What is the part number and roughly how much should I be paying? (I am lucky in that there is a main parts shop near me..

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Yes the values should change in measuring blocks when pressing the clutch, this indicates the switch is working, check the brake switch aswell.

Clutch switch part number 7H0927189 about £15 from dealer ( someone on here payed £14 last November)
    Last edited by RMH1A4cab; 17th September 2012 at 17:56.

F

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes the values should change in measuring blocks when pressing the clutch, this indicates the switch is working, check the brake switch aswell.

Clutch switch part number 7H0927189 about £15 from dealer ( someone on here payed £14 last November)

Yes I have, but does the SET switch alter the value

I'm in Cruise control

Status

Are you doing this whilst not moving as cruise control will not work anyway so nothing will be measured, not sure if the values change when you are moving and the cruise button is pressed.

F

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    hi mate, not sure if you sorted this yet as it is 3 weeks on?
    Using VCDS, go to steering module 16, measuring block 004, and then if you press the SET button, it should read. You should also be able to check the resume, speed up and speed down.
    Car does not need to be on, only ignition, all this is doing is checking the cruise stalk is functioning correctly.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    hi mate, not sure if you sorted this yet as it is 3 weeks on?
    Using VCDS, go to steering module 16, measuring block 004, and then if you press the SET button, it should read. You should also be able to check the resume, speed up and speed down.
    Car does not need to be on, only ignition, all this is doing is checking the cruise stalk is functioning correctly.
    cheers. I found that eventually and all is good. Still haven't fixed my cruise tho

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    cheers. I found that eventually and all is good. Still haven't fixed my cruise tho
    Have you changed your clutch switch mate. As already stated, although seems fine in VCDS, it can cure the problem. For the sake of £15, no harm can be done trying.

It is well documented around the net that the B6/B7 are prone to faulty clutch switches, which Audi recognised this and therefor have a revised part number.

5 min job to do. No mechanical experience needed.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Have you changed your clutch switch mate. As already stated, although seems fine in VCDS, it can cure the problem. For the sake of £15, no harm can be done trying.

It is well documented around the net that the B6/B7 are prone to faulty clutch switches, which Audi recognised this and therefor have a revised part number.

5 min job to do. No mechanical experience needed.
    Yes, and the brake switch, and the cruise control stalk, even though VCDS suggested they were all working

5th Gear

Status
    Just a suggestion, the first time I swapped the clutch switch it didn't work and then found out if I kept pressing the set button and kept my foot slightly on the clutch it would work. If I lifted my foot of the switch it didn't. I found out if you don't install it right then it won't work.
    Nathan

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    You could also bypass the clutch switch completely... cut the two wires and join them together, ignoring the clutch switch. Also means that you'll be allowed to change gear without knocking the Cruise off with the clutch.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

2nd Gear

Status
    The clutch switch isn't my problem unfortunately. I believe it's a speed sensor but I've given up trying to fix it for a while. I never use cruise anyway