Chris NottEM Tuning
    5th Gear

Status

Water Meth Injection

Gents,

Seen this abit on the audizine forum, just wondering if anyone knows any more or has had this fitted to a TDI?

I have no idea or further info on the subject tbh

Is it any good/bad, is the gainnoticeable ect?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Tiptronic

Status
    Water Meth injection?? Having just googled this putting water into the engine doesn't sound like a good idea... is this tried and tested by anyone?? Difficult mod??

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

4th Gear

Status

Water Meth Injection

S3Alex has this on his S3! Sounds so wrong doesn't it but it's all good apparently!

I would love to know more about the workings of it!
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

6th Gear

Status
    Over in the 8L section, Welly, Westy, Prawn all run it on petrol cars . Badger 5 also runs it as well. When it works, it seems to be great.

5th Gear

Status
    Well i was confused at start then people are sayin how good it is ect

6th Gear

Status
    I got one too,cooler intake temps, higher octane in fuel so its like running on 103 fuel. Helps with timing aswell. I think its definitely worth it. Check out prawns thread. He shows the before and after results of it aswell
    Word!!!

My A3/Martys Golf would smash that, and this guys £7000 GT9743 supercharged love machine.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    I got one too,cooler intake temps, higher octane in fuel so its like running on 103 fuel. Helps with timing aswell. I think its definitely worth it. Check out prawns thread. He shows the before and after results of it aswell
    Anyone running this on a TDI?

Tiptronic

Status
    I'm slightly concerned by the "When it works..." part?

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    I'm slightly concerned by the "When it works..." part?
    ahhhhh it be alrite lol

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by D2NY G View Post
    ahhhhh it be alrite lol
    It depends how you use it.

If you use it as an aid to the engine, it's not really an issue, unless you get problems like westy and your fmic pipes fill with water/meth..
    If you get it mapped in so the engine relies on it and then it goes wrong, well thats not such a nice thought.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    It depends how you use it.

If you use it as an aid to the engine, it's not really an issue, unless you get problems like westy and your fmic pipes fill with water/meth..
    If you get it mapped in so the engine relies on it and then it goes wrong, well thats not such a nice thought.
    So it can be turned on and off so to speak?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by D2NY G View Post
    So it can be turned on and off so to speak?
    I don't think their is a need to.

If you get the car mapped how you want it, then add the wmi (or fit wmi, but dont get it taken into account during mapping) then if it fails, the engine is still within safe timing limits etc..
    If you get it included as part of the mapping then if it goes wrong, the engine is lacking the added cooling etc that wmi brings, which is obviously a lot more risky.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reesy View Post
    I don't think their is a need to.

If you get the car mapped how you want it, then add the wmi (or fit wmi, but dont get it taken into account during mapping) then if it fails, the engine is still within safe timing limits etc..
    If you get it included as part of the mapping then if it goes wrong, the engine is lacking the added cooling etc that wmi brings, which is obviously a lot more risky.
    Right I get you, might have a trip down to stattler were I had my map done and see what he says

Neutral

Status
    I've heard of a tdi kit somewhere, I think it was from a company in america.......

quick google shows I'm right! - Snow Performance : MPG-MAX™ VW TDi
    A4 Avant tdi S-line

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Snow Performance : FAQ diesel

Water/Methanol Injection Systems for Diesel Engines - Water/Meth Kits - Wideband O2 UEGO, Water/Methanol, Stand Alone Engine Management, Piggyback F/IC, Tru Boost Controller, Gauges, Automotive Performance Electronics

Never used WMI on a diesel yet but have fitted plently on petrol cars... work well, you get consistant IAT's and in the case of petrol engines you 'can' add more timing... but of course with lower IATs then the ECU is happier anyway so non of the pull you would normally get when stuff gets hot...

Had a 380hp S3 on the dyno and was seeing less than 20deg IAT's under boost with jan/feb ambient temps... was running mid 30's without

Have used Devils Own kits and AEM kits on customer cars... Bill @ Badger5 uses Snow Performance on his 550hp Ibiza race car...

DO controllers are a bit flakey and service can be slow with them.... AEM kits have good controllers but seem to have a few issues with the check valves in thier nozzles but they have good service and Westy (in 8L) has had very good service from them as they are working to sort these issues out..

AEM kits imo seem the better choice...

This is worth a read too...
    WMI is it safe?

Max water/meth ratio is 50/50 realistically else it eats seals and is still flammable... (invisible flame)... Bill has done some quick tests to find a less flammable mix seeing as most installations need you to fit the tank in the boot of the car... the videos are in the link above..

I think Bill has run 70/30 water/meth with no noteable drop in IAT performance but obviously the more dilute the mix the less of an octane booster it is so less potential for running more timing...

Nozzle installation is a consideration and I have seen some pretty crap installs where nozzle isn't sat right and the fan of the spray has hit the sides of the 'boss' and will not atomise correctly... this will lessen its effectiveness of course..

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 17th August 2012 at 08:09.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Cheers gents,

Some good things to have a read on i guess, will end up taking a trip to by local vw/audi tuner see what he has to say

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I remember S3 Big Andy & his attempt at this on his mofo S3 8P that just had mental mods/power before S3Alex came along, didnt go to well from what I heard hence he's not seen about anymore with the S3, cant recall if the engine went or not, think it was more of a dick swinging thing then, but now its been taken seriously & people are using the kits properly with considerations for safety/engine/power levels etc, be interested to see a tdi running it.

How often do you need to refill it though is the thing that would bother me, cant stand filling up with fuel let alone this aswell lol.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK