Audi A4 Avant 3.2 versus 3.0TDI

XRNik

Reaction score
Hello people,

Currently I have an Audi A4 B6 Avant 3.0 Quattro Sport which I am thinking of changing next year to a newer B7 version.

Couple of questions for anyone that can help and offer guidance.

The 3.2 petrol Avant seems quite a rare car in B7 guise, did Audi not sell many ? Also does this engine have a cam belt or chain ?

Any other guidance, pitfalls etc on these cars, anything in particular to lookout for. Also what specs do they come in.

As an alternative I've thought about the 3.0 TDI as these seem more common, again any guidance with these would help. Also does this engine have a cam belt or chain ?

Sorry about all the questions but when I bought my current A4 I found everyone really helpful in guiding me to the right car !!

Basically any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nik

Go For the 3.0 TDI 233ps you wont be dissapointed,

Plenty of torque and grip:)

3.0TDi has chain-driven cams. The only question mark with this engine is the inlet manifold swirl flap motor assembly. It wears over time, and throws an engine management light error code. Audi only advocate complete replacement of the assembly (costing around £700 per side), but for £225, Fontain in Iver will do a modification that will fix it in most cases.

Aside from that, like V6 Quatt said, it's a great engine.

I'm biased, but I'd go for the 3.0tdi like the guys said. MPG is better, plus the torque is phenomenal! If it's still not quick enough a good remap will see you close to 300bhp with more torque than an RS4...

RE swirl flaps, I've heard it can be a problem with the 3.0tdi, but also that many people can have the fault and not notice due to it's minimal impact on engine performance... someone please correct me here if I'm wrong!

Don't know anything about the 3.2 so can't really comment, only vouch for the pleasure the 3.0tdi is to drive every day (including sundays on non-commuter routes!)

RE swirl flaps, I've heard it can be a problem with the 3.0tdi, but also that many people can have the fault and not notice due to it's minimal impact on engine performance... someone please correct me here if I'm wrong!

You're not wrong, in that the engine still runs at, say, 98%, but the problem is that an engine management light on is an MOT failure.

Never really thought about MOT failure being an issue? The amount of error codes that get thrown about by the ECU (generally speaking) is a fair few. Don't suppose you know if the error code has to be persistent for it to cause the engine management light to come on? i.e. IF (touch wood) mine go, could I just clear the error code on the morning of the MOT and hope it doesn't come on again until after the MOT??

Never really thought about MOT failure being an issue? The amount of error codes that get thrown about by the ECU (generally speaking) is a fair few. Don't suppose you know if the error code has to be persistent for it to cause the engine management light to come on? i.e. IF (touch wood) mine go, could I just clear the error code on the morning of the MOT and hope it doesn't come on again until after the MOT??

I guess that might depend on how well you know your MOT tester...

Guys,

Thanks for your help with this, much appreciated.

From looking on the second hand car market I reckon I would struggle to find a 3.2 Avant, this engine seems popular for the cabriolet.

I suppose the mpg alone makes the 3.0 TDI a better option alone but with the added benefit of a bit of go that'll do for me !!

What do you guys think engine noise wise, the 3.0 V6 I've got at the moment sounds great even just tooling around town. I know the Audi diesel isn't a clattery one anyway but I do like a car to sound right.

Well it is a diesel, however, the same as my old 2.5tdi (B6 A4), it only sounds like a diesel at idle speed. Even at idle it's not anywhere near as bad as the 2.0tdi, which is quite tractor-like. If you take it to 1200rpm+ then it sounds like a 'breathy' V6, is the way I would describe it. Not especially loud, but to me it sounds comparable to a petrol engine at anything over 1500rpm, which is surprising.

I've got a convertible so I hear the engine more than most, and although it doesn't sound like a petrol when you're waiting at the lights it comes into it's own as soon as you're moving. If you get a 3.0tdi, I would be incredibly surprised, (gobsmacked infact) if you didn't think you'd made the right decision afterwards.

On top of this, you can get 35mpg on a mixed run, and even if you have a relatively heavy right foot you can get 29 or so... All things considered, best engine you could choose (imo) :rockwoot:

I guess I will have to find a local dealer with one in stock and give one a go

Yeh I 3rd that,

Six speed Tiptronic is the one to go for pre 2006 onwards 233ps. As mine Even in normal drive mode it flies...In sports mode its lethal and revs to the line. Tick over is relativley quiet and when opened up it growls and does turns heads. In the past I had a A4 2.5 Quattro Sport B6 and that was a bit noisier on tick over. But the power of the 3.0 TDI Quattro is quicker and suprising, the car has a lot of power low down mid range and high end and you have to respect it as it just wants to go go go. It has a high level of torque.

you wont be dissapointed, it still makes me smile everytime.

Second that. The 3.0TDi and six-speed tiptronic auto box are a perfect combination.

Definitely get the 3.0TDI. I'm over the moon with mine. Mine is a manual as I enjoy driving so much and the auto is too irresponsible for my liking. The only disadvantage is that the clutch can't handle a remap but other than that I get better fuel economy than an auto equivalent.

TDI defo, having owned both the 3.2 lacks power, is not greatly tunable and going to the filling station every 2 days gets boring. I must say personally I would go for the Manual (which i have). I found the auto very tiresome and compared to other VW/Audi autos I have owned, very poor in its setup. The manual is great with one drawback, it is very low geared in first (for towing according to Audi) meaning you need to get out of it almost instantly as it runs out in a second. But for round town, i find 4th does most things (mine is chipped)!
Re sound if you get the full milltek cat back and the secondary cat bypass you can not tell a sound diff between that and the rs4 version, (there are vids on milltek site to prove this)!#
Mine is on standard and orig clutch, has a stage 2 revo and 115K miles (chip for 10K). No clutch probs, yet!
/2p

Definitely get the 3.0TDI. I'm over the moon with mine. Mine is a manual as I enjoy driving so much and the auto is too irresponsible for my liking. The only disadvantage is that the clutch can't handle a remap but other than that I get better fuel economy than an auto equivalent.

"Too irresponsible"? What, you mean it stays out all night getting drunk.

Reactions: .Jas.
TDI defo, having owned both the 3.2 lacks power, is not greatly tunable and going to the filling station every 2 days gets boring. I must say personally I would go for the Manual (which i have). I found the auto very tiresome and compared to other VW/Audi autos I have owned, very poor in its setup. The manual is great with one drawback, it is very low geared in first (for towing according to Audi) meaning you need to get out of it almost instantly as it runs out in a second. But for round town, i find 4th does most things (mine is chipped)!
Re sound if you get the full milltek cat back and the secondary cat bypass you can not tell a sound diff between that and the rs4 version, (there are vids on milltek site to prove this)!#
Mine is on standard and orig clutch, has a stage 2 revo and 115K miles (chip for 10K). No clutch probs, yet!
/2p

How much power are you running then? I've been told you get vibrations etc. because of the clutch/flywheel when getting these (manuals) remapped.

Also, not to go too off topic or anything, but what exactly is the exhaust setup on these engines. I've got the following in my head based on everything I've read (I'm probably wrong):
  1. Turbo
  2. Primary Cat
  3. DPF
  4. Secondary Cat
  5. Silencer
  6. Rear Silencers (tailpipes)

Another thing to add into the mix. My commute is reasonably short, about 10-12 miles round trip a day. Some people I work with have mentioned that diesels aren't great for short journeys. Any thoughts ?

Also the particulate filters, do they last well on the Audi's as I assume these are expensive to replace.

My commute is 11 miles each way, and I've had no issues with the DPF as yet. That said, I regularly get onto the motorway for an hour or more.

Wouldn't that just mean more smoke when you're driving about?

It would be part of mapping it out usually involves tweaking the map so that it produces less smoke so it's barely noticeable as far as I'm led to believe. :) Win win basically!

It would be part of mapping it out usually involves tweaking the map so that it produces less smoke so it's barely noticeable as far as I'm led to believe. :) Win win basically!

Surely a stock map with a DPF would produce less smoke than a mapped out DPF removal?