Smelly air vents after a service

psd99

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my car serviced and they changed some filters on the car.

Since the service, I noticed that through the air vent there is a kind of horrible moist smell coming through.
It is only noticeable when I have econ turned on and aircon is generally fine.

I know there are many threads like this - but I rang the guy who serviced my car and he apologized for not letting me know about the smell but says I need to get it treated - his cost was £50 + vat

does that sound reasonable?
anything I can do myself?

You get stale water in the ducting system and its this what smells. They will clean the ducting system out with an air bomb. You can do it yourself but you need to leave the windows open to vent it for a it afterwards. And then for about the next week afterwards when you drive it you will get a residue on the inside of your windows that looks like someone has rubbed their hair up the window, comes off easy enough, its just annoying.

does 50 quid plus vat sound reasonable?

if they do it via the airbomb method will my windows still get residue on the inside of the windows for 7 days?

You get stale water in the ducting system and its this what smells. They will clean the ducting system out with an air bomb. You can do it yourself but you need to leave the windows open to vent it for a it afterwards. And then for about the next week afterwards when you drive it you will get a residue on the inside of your windows that looks like someone has rubbed their hair up the window, comes off easy enough, its just annoying.

If I did this myself is it quite difficult to do? what guide can I get online?

Got limited knowledge on cars u see.

You can get a Comma air-con cleaning aerosol "bomb" from Halford for about £13. Follow the instructions to the letter and you should be fine. This reminds me, I should probably do mine.

does 50 quid plus vat sound reasonable?
if they do it via the airbomb method will my windows still get residue on the inside of the windows for 7 days?

Yes, £50 is reasonable and yes you will still get the residue, it may clear quicker in your car, mine is only occasionally used. Once you have done it, open all the windows and vents and go for a drive, it may well clear it all out the vents. Mine was done in winter, so all the windows were shut when I used the car.

mine had a odd smell other week, not changed anything tho like filters ect, just dint have heaters on a few days and now its fine, weird lol

thanks gents,

I must stress that the smell does not occur when air conditioning is turned on. I will recheck but I believe
the problem is when I use ECON only.

If I also press the button to bring air in from outside + econ I don't have a problem - the smell only from econ itself since my car got serviced.

Will the halford comma aircon be useful here?

thanks gents,

I must stress that the smell does not occur when air conditioning is turned on. I will recheck but I believe
the problem is when I use ECON only.

If I also press the button to bring air in from outside + econ I don't have a problem - the smell only from econ itself since my car got serviced.

Will the halford comma aircon be useful here?

It should be. Most air con smells are the result of bacteria in the system, and the Comma bomb is an anti-bacterial cleaner.

The smell has died down far less than it was before

the only thing i did was take out the filter and out it back in thanks everyone