Newbie with buying advice please

Jase25

Reaction score
Evening all, I am looking to buy a 06 reg a4 tdi sline, 74k

What are the common faults the engine suffers? Etc

Am used to looking after my cars at no expense spared so take a keen interest when coming to buying

Thanx and hello
biggrin.gif

No one no the common faults then or just commenting on that it needs a sticky?

Thanx mate...

To claify am luking into a4 06 sline 140bhp manual 74k

Any advice wud be great...

I currently have a 55reg 140bhp 2.0TDi manuel just coming up to 100K and (touch wood) no problems here, just make sure it has service history and keep it up yourself and you should be good, whats it worth?

Wel the guy wants 7k seems genuine guy car Luks smart as on pics...

Whats engine like? Have they got dpf??? Also dmf?

Don't think the 140 have dpf s and engine is going strong, 7k is a good price, I paid that for mine 7months again with 90k on the clock so sounds about right really, if it looks and sounds good and you like it, why not

Ye av never had a Audi , but I read google and sed sumat bout oil pump seizes??

You'll always here the sob stories from those that have had problems, but not here about those that don't, simply because you wouldn't rave about having no problems lol

Yer I guess mate... Just nice to hear what to luk for and what I cud prevent really,

Like blank swirl flaps off, and get rid of egr valve

You should see what happens on Audizine....

Nah, not really, why go on there to listen to everyone's problems so I can go every day wondering when my car will blow up, no, I'll just be like the other 98% of people in the uk that owns an Audi that just drives is and takes care of it :)

Am really tempted!!! When do Cambelt n pumps need changing on these and is it duel mass flywheel? Is there anything that can prevent the problem ppl seem to have regarding the oil pump

TBH, I have a 140 but really wish I'd gone for the 170. Sometimes the 140 just seems a bit gutless and I'd expect that the 170 gets better mileage around town if your foots not made of lead.

Yer am used to 2.0i 300bhp car.. So power drop wil be less but family matters take priority..

do u no of any common faults mate? How do u find them?

Main common fault I was told to look out for was excessive vibration at idle (flywheel).
As said if it has the history then it should be good to you. Though I bought from a garage/dealer purposely so that I could get a decent warranty to cover any issues in the first year.

Ye I no what you mean mate. Av had flywheels go on me before so no the symptoms.. Does the 140bhp engine have dpf?

I have an 06 2.0 TDI 140bhp (BRE engine) and reckon its the best of the bunch.. the oil pump issues are with the earlier engine (BRD?).. it does'nt have a DPF and doesn't suffer the injectors issues that the 170bhp does. Right now Revo have a 20% sale on remaps so mapping a 140 to 185 is only going to cost about £300..

I've done over 70,000 in 2 years in mine, its now at 150,000 miles on original turbo and original clutch/flywheel and going strong. In 70,000 miles all I've had to do is have it serviced, replaced brake discs/pads and tyres.. (this weekend I installed cruise and DIS for a total cost of £60)

All in all a brilliant, reliable car, best I've ever owned. I was going to replace it in July, but decided to keep it as I can't think of anything better for the money.

Thanx alot for the reply :)

So the 06 reg am luking into 2.0i sline 140 doesnt have dpf and suffer the issues with oil pump?...

And that good for remap I paid 550 for good map on my old car

ah maybe you coded it yourself?

Yeah, bought the stalks off ebay (£20 and £29 each).. then because mine is a B7 with MFSW it was really easy, just plug in the two stalks, modify the lower cowl (if you look at the inside of a stock cowl you can see the tooling witness line for the cutout for the cruise stalk, I just dremel'd to that witness line and its fits pefectly) then coded with Vag Com (only needed to code engine and instruments, took 5 minutes and cost £10)

Sweet!.. Are u mapped by revo? What things do these engines suffer with? ( supossenly)

Yeah, bought the stalks off ebay (£20 and £29 each).. then because mine is a B7 with MFSW it was really easy, just plug in the two stalks, modify the lower cowl (if you look at the inside of a stock cowl you can see the tooling witness line for the cutout for the cruise stalk, I just dremel'd to that witness line and its fits pefectly) then coded with Vag Com (only needed to code engine and instruments, took 5 minutes and cost £10)

wow

did you follow any guide?

mine is also a b7 with mfsw but I don't have any equipment and been quotes around £130 to fit in cruise

how much is the vag com? I'm wondering if I should buy this and DIY - what use is the vagcom in general then?

what is everyones real world fuel economy like? just genuine driving it! (sorry if this has been discussed a million times before)
i seem to be getting 40-42 in my 140 tdi cab (06) -which i'm loving by the way after my last car averaged 9mpg!
Was thinking of a remap also and a dpf delete but didnt realise they dont have a dpf?! (bit of noob myself to this motor too)
£300 sounds good for a remap, but not if the car drops into the 30s mpg! Mine seems to be a little laggy and the the power/torque comes in fairly quickly and is over fairly quickly too ha ha! assume this is standard 140tdi characteristics!
What's real world normal drive fuel economy like after a remap? does it improve?

Last edited:
Is the remap gonna be likely bring on clutch failure on a car with over 70,000 miles? the increase must add a fair bit of torque

Remap is guna put stress on all components.. Could expose parts lol...
risk u take...

lol true...

I'd probably advise throwing some cash at the brakes too.

I don't really get why the brakes aren't all the same throughout. Still the same big old heavy box that all get to big speeds, just the slower ones take longer to get there

I was running 300bhp 350lbs torque in old car lol

Its all a ££££ game when I get my Audi it's goin on lowering springs as having hid and that's it...

Am goin from petrol power to sensible now expecting 2nd child so needs must.. Want some thing reliable hence wanting to no about these engines as preventions lol am handy with cars done all work my self so wanna know exactly what am letting my self in for

wow

did you follow any guide?

mine is also a b7 with mfsw but I don't have any equipment and been quotes around £130 to fit in cruise

Yeah I had a printout of the tyresmoke guide that I found through this site. Trouble is that its written for a B6 without MFSW so a lot of the guide is irrelevent as it tells you to replace the SCM and then how to recode for the new SCM, non of which you need to do on a B7 with MFSW. The guide was good for the actual mechanical change though..
The coding was very easy with Vag Com as the software has pop up windows that explain what numbers to change for what options!

The only issue I'm left with (like anyone who retrofits DIS to a pre 2007 B7) is that the DIS keeps telling me that my washer bottle is empty. This is because the sensor simply isn't fitted.
One of the little pop up windows pointed out that in 2007 cars you can code out the washer bottle sensor! Audi obviously realised this was a problem..

Where are you based? there's lots of people who can do the coding if you can do the mechanical..

what is everyones real world fuel economy like? just genuine driving it! (sorry if this has been discussed a million times before)
i seem to be getting 40-42 in my 140 tdi cab (06)

Because I didn't have DIS until this weekend I've always used Spitmonitor.de to monitor my fuel costs.. my average MPG over the last 2 years is 43...

Any one got link to scanner for Audi 06 upwards

Wel saves goin garages dont it, I had op con for my old car was a god send

So the bre engine don't suffer the oil pump problem due to gear driven

Any other faults?