Cleaning Products - What I got vs What I need

psd99

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

[h=2]A woman is like a bee treat her well and she will make honey, treat her badly and she will go wild :)[/h](I believe the same applies to a car)

I'd like to take care of new Audi A4 2.0T FSI S Line by cleaning her right inside and out:

IMG_3115swads.jpg

2231232323.jpg

IMG_31173333.jpg

* I don't really wish to go overboard on cleaning products, so all to a budget.
* I will clean her most likely twice a month
* I've got the basics like sponges, buckets and a hose pipe
* The car at the moment is in good condition, the paintwork is amazing - tells me someone cleaned the car well.

But this is all I have so far in terms of cleaning agents:

13162eb8.jpg

and

13fea822.jpg

I can't believe how much other stuff I got in the garage, but nothing to clean cars with.

So I had a think about what I need roughly, I was thinking:

1. Shampoo for the car
2. Microfiber cloth
3. Some sort of polish or wax for after washing the car
4. Wheel Sealant (been reading about this, can make life easier later on)
5. Maybe leather cleaning agent but not sure on this.

So what do you guys think? Can anyone recommend me products for the 4-5 items I require?
Thoughts and feelings welcome :)
Thanks.

1st job bin the sponge this will only cause you more work ,use either a lambswool mitt or a microfibre wash pad,also dry the car using a microfibre towel rather than a leather.

as for budget cleaning autoglym resin polish is good at hiding swirls and giving a good gloss ,top this off with collinite 476s (around£15) a belting wax for the money and lasts months between waxing.

leather cleaning you are hard pushed to beat gliptone liquid leather cleaner (i find the spray cleaner better than the bottled) and liquid leather conditioner.

as for my wheels i use rimwax but you could just used collinite to seal them after a good clean

Thanks I will get lambswool mitt to wash the car with - I don't think I will get anything for the rimms except maybe a sealer

In terms of wax and polish If I wanted to choose one out of the two which one should I get?

Hmmmm.......

This is a question very similar to 'what tyres should I get?' as all you'll get is a big list of here's how I do it....where as with tyres you get here's what I have.

I would recommend that you take some time to read some care care tips here: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle - Updated!! Although I swear by meguiars products you can use similar methods with anyone's products.

Best advice I can give is to follow the tips, and try out different products until you find ones that work for you :)

polish and wax are two totally different products ,polish is a preperation for the wax ,wax is the sealer and gloss but does not clean the car (remove water marks left after drying car) ,wax will protect your paint from the elements but car paint needs to be sportless before being applied ,polish will clean ( remove water marks left after drying DO NOT polish a dirty car)and shine the paint but has no long lasting protection ,if you are only doing it every couple of months as stated you will need to

1 wash car
2 polish car
3 wax car

thanks gents

I shall get both a wax product and a polish then in that case I will read through the 5 step as well

Do any of you get your car washed by other people? Normally about 10 quid a pop or so
If money is tight I might do this for a while before I buy the cleaning products I can afford

thanks gents

I shall get both a wax product and a polish then in that case I will read through the 5 step as well

Do any of you get your car washed by other people? Normally about 10 quid a pop or so
If money is tight I might do this for a while before I buy the cleaning products I can afford

dont go to the hand car wash people they use drying blades and chamois leathers which will damage your paintwork spend the £5-£10 on cleaning products and do it yourself .

1st job bin the sponge this will only cause you more work ,use either a lambswool mitt or a microfibre wash pad

More importantly, you are far more likely to scratch your car using a sponge rather than a mitt.

[gasp of astonishment]This is number 1 cardinal sin in my book, never get some wacko to wash your car. They'll probably use washing up liquid that'll remove the wax off the car and they use sponges and...and...[sobs]...a drying blade...oh I can't take it any more, the thought of my Audi being washed on a garage forecourt....[sniffle] :D

Reactions: D2NY G
Halfords do 3 for 2 on all cleaning products just make sure you buy 3 equally expensive items and get 1 free and only buy 3 item at the one time it might seem a pain but worth the hassle to save £10-20

first start dont use hand car wash's!!

Buy the following and this is the procedure -

Snowfoam - use lance and pressure washer (not critical but will help lift dirt and promote safe washing, plus its fun!)
Rinse
Wash using lambswool or mitt using 2 bucket method - one for shampoo, one clean water to rinse between each mitt panel
Rinse
IronX - Decontaminate and remove fallout - only need to use once but is well worth doing
Wash - Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild (PH Neutral) or chemical guys Glossworkz is great. Auto Finesse do a good wash too!
Rinse
Clay car - use medium or soft clay to start with a lube (or shampoo mixture again)
Wash
Rinse
Dry - use big fluffy drying towels
Polish - if by hand try Prima Amiga or SRP, but prima i prefer.
LSP - Last stage protection so a wax or sealant. Your choice is endless but some suggestions could be a Dodo Juice wax, chemical guys 50/50. Zymol Royale. Sealant try chemical guys blacklight.

Then finish off with a wipe down of zaino, v2 or redmist.

Ease of use/lazy finish would be carpro reload wipe in and buff in one move, good beading and good protecion.

Wheels, use a long brush and iron x or autobrite wheel cleaner, a lot reccomend bilbery wheel cleaner which is good but a tad over rated. use once wheels are v clean.

Chem guys new look trim for plastics, engine and rubbers, Metal polish for exhaust, Glass cleaner, inerior stuff ..... list of extras goes on and on!

Good luck and have fun watching your wallet empty!

first start dont use hand car wash's!!

Buy the following and this is the procedure -

Snowfoam - use lance and pressure washer (not critical but will help lift dirt and promote safe washing, plus its fun!)
Rinse
Wash using lambswool or mitt using 2 bucket method - one for shampoo, one clean water to rinse between each mitt panel
Rinse
IronX - Decontaminate and remove fallout - only need to use once but is well worth doing
Wash - Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild (PH Neutral) or chemical guys Glossworkz is great. Auto Finesse do a good wash too!
Rinse
Clay car - use medium or soft clay to start with a lube (or shampoo mixture again)
Wash
Rinse
Dry - use big fluffy drying towels
Polish - if by hand try Prima Amiga or SRP, but prima i prefer.
LSP - Last stage protection so a wax or sealant. Your choice is endless but some suggestions could be a Dodo Juice wax, chemical guys 50/50. Zymol Royale. Sealant try chemical guys blacklight.

Then finish off with a wipe down of zaino, v2 or redmist.

Ease of use/lazy finish would be carpro reload wipe in and buff in one move, good beading and good protecion.

Wheels, use a long brush and iron x or autobrite wheel cleaner, a lot reccomend bilbery wheel cleaner which is good but a tad over rated. use once wheels are v clean.

Chem guys new look trim for plastics, engine and rubbers, Metal polish for exhaust, Glass cleaner, inerior stuff ..... list of extras goes on and on!

Good luck and have fun watching your wallet empty!

thats not on a budget ?

try signing up to detailing world mate absolutely loads of stuff on there to help with this sort of situation, frienly forum too :-D

Guys - What about one of those rotary brush car washes behind your local petrol station that blow dry your car at the end? :sorry:

Join us....

Detailing

A world for detailers...

:)

But as others have said, step 1, bin the sponge.

I realise you are on a budget and I can only say I have bought these over time but... my current weapons of choice (these change, I like to try new stuff):

- Chemical Guys No Touch Snow Foam
- Autobrite HD foam lance
- Dodo Juice Basics of Bling shampoo
- Tesco microfibre noodle wash mitt (yes really)
- Carpro Trix
- Meguiars Quik Clay Kit
- Dodo Juice Lime Prime
- Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro
- Lots of microfibre cloths

P1040078.jpg

Wow what a shine

I think all this washing the car business has gone to my head lol
30 to 50 quid should be enough to cover me on the budget

Thanks for the help all
i will stay away from the 5 quid car washes and the petrol station automatic ones

nice one

but beware:nyah:

this detailing stuff gets vary addictive and costly i get no end of jibes and digs off the neighbours over cleaning my car :moa:

this is just part of my collection

IMG_0314.jpg

Toast and coffee to keep you going haha couldn't get the kettle in the pic!!

Can i borrow some of that guys? Lol just need a little bit......

Which wax shall i get then

I use megs #16 currently but collinite 476 is supposed to be really good for the price aswell so I'll probably try that next, hope this helps

Hey all,

I thought I should show you all the present condition of the car. I thought the exterior was very good, but it is actually quite dirty. I believe the person who had the car before has waxed/polished regulary as the dirt is coming off easily.

The alloys are very dirty, but the worse is the interior. I knew the interior was not great when I got the car though.

Here are the detailed pics that I have taken so far let me know what you gents think:

IMG_3283.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3289.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

Wow that is a lot of pictures, but as you can see okay on the outside not so great inside - the steering wheel is a let down the previous owners were probably a bunch of schmuks! lol

Have you got a pressure washer? If so I'd try that on the wheels first and wash with a strongish shampoo mix. If that doesn't work you'll need a dedicated wheel cleaner. There are loads to choose from, the two I have are Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (you usually dilute this) and Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels. The Wonder Wheels you'll be able to buy in Halfords or Tesco. Don't buy any of the other Wonder Wheels products if you don't see it as they are very acidic. It's this one you want...

WWH500 Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels 500ml - Robert Dyas -
Halfords | Wonder Wheels Hot Wheels Cleaner 500ml

Also, it's hard to tell from the photos but are your exhaust tips meant to be chrome? If so you've got a bit of work to do there. :) You'll probably need some of this:

Halfords | Autosol Metal Polish 75g

I've not had to do much interior cleaning on mine. Just basic hoovering and a wipe over the surfaces with a damp cloth and some Armor All Interior Wipes. Hopefully someone else can suggest some bits for that.

If the wheels are really bad try and get some ironx it's amazing, don't use it all the time though, they sell it on elitecarcare.co.uk

hey gents

I was thinking the same thing for the exhausts but actually they are ment to be black lol
I'd love it if they were chrome though :)

Cleaning is an addiction and you will slowly build up your supplies, I've just spent another £55 today on wheels cleaner, pollish, pre wax, a new grit plate for my bucket, pads, and some more clay bar (200g), money I could have spent on my girlfriend and youngan, but no it's gone on my car for AITP :)

Lol ok
money well spent none the less

be glad the car had mats or it looks like you would be replacing the carpet!
Lol

Yer true that but i need to wash all those mats as they are full of dust and mud

Also need to replace the drivers one as it had got a hole inside it
Looks like someone was smoking and burnt a hole in there

You can clean the steering wheel, handbrake and gear knob with lemon juice, hot water and a toothbrush. Works wonders on the Alcantara - mine was similarly dirty when I got it. I am swapping my steering wheel for a leather one though (thanks eBay) because it needs cleaning all the time!

keeping your leather clean and protected is very important if you dont it will dry out and crack in time and speed up the wear process.

you do require a good leather cleaner, make sure its amonia free tho or it will kill your leather and strip the surface colour.

Also you want a good leather conditioner / protection cream there a few makes out there some smell of leather these can cause issues as they go off quickly and smell rotten and go yellow due to the oil based essence that goes in them to make them smell of leather, the oil base can cause damage to the leather so just be careful which ones you buy if it smells stronly of leather i would avoid, if its not that strong they have not used that much oil in it and so its safer for the leather. or better still one that has no smell of leather.

Richard

keeping your leather clean and protected is very important if you dont it will dry out and crack in time and speed up the wear process.

you do require a good leather cleaner, make sure its amonia free tho or it will kill your leather and strip the surface colour.

Also you want a good leather conditioner / protection cream there a few makes out there some smell of leather these can cause issues as they go off quickly and smell rotten and go yellow due to the oil based essence that goes in them to make them smell of leather, the oil base can cause damage to the leather so just be careful which ones you buy if it smells stronly of leather i would avoid, if its not that strong they have not used that much oil in it and so its safer for the leather. or better still one that has no smell of leather.

Richard

Hi Richard,

thats useful to know. can you PM me a good one to try out, my car is tan (cream) leather VW passat, its dirty & grimy from sweat and little kids eating sweets & icecream lol.

Can you recommend one to start me off. cheers fella

Reactions: leather repair uk
I've got my products spent more than I thought I would you are right this is an addiciton

but for once in my life I'm quite excited about washing my car this is a form of art

I'll try get pictures up of the products I got including claybar kit hahaha thanks everyone

For once i wish it was cloudy! Lol and on the cool side