A4 Cab CVT

Double Doom

Reaction score
Hello all,

Aplogies for the blatant newbie question!

Looking to buy an A4 cab - Should I avoid the CVT box? I'm thinking the basic 1.8T with a manual box would be best?

Will avoid Sport and S-Line as I like a nice sweet ride. Are there any particular pearls of wisdom that I should know about with the car.

Where do the hoods start to go and all of that stuff?

Any help gratefully received! :sm4:

Many thanks

Jackson

I own a 2.0T S Line with the CVT gearbox, I would say it's a bit of a gamble as there smooth a silk when there running good but if they go wrong like mine (ECU with to pot which seem to be a common problem) it's going to cost an arm and leg to replace. I'd say stick to the manuals if you can find one with good mileage, also if your the remapping type you wont have the issues with limiting torque.

Thanks for the reply...

How did the ECU fault manifest itself if you don't mind me asking?

I think the 1.8 or 2.0 turbo with a manual box will be best -

Thanks for your help

CJ

Thanks for the reply...

How did the ECU fault manifest itself if you don't mind me asking?

I think the 1.8 or 2.0 turbo with a manual box will be best -

Thanks for your help

CJ

i think you should use the search tab and find out all you need to know

Where do the hoods start to go and all of that stuff?

they drop in the boot

Problem started with what seemed to be a sudden drop in 'gears', doing 80 it thought that 1st gear would be better, red lined and the gear lights started flashing pulled over turned the engine off and on started no problem, did it every other week then happened more often soon the gear lights all the time (there's loads of vids on youtube mulitronic problems). Got it checked mainly because I was tired of buying new under pants everytime I had a motor was run. It is a big issue with all multitronic something to do with the position of the ECU, the 2007 will have the 7 plate clutch as does mine so there wont be an issue the that like some others. I say stick to the manuals unless your lazy like me. If it's a FWD it's Multi' (CVT - transmission) a 'Q' is going to be TIPTRONIC. (displacement better).

Am also a newbie, but for what it's worth we've had our A4 1.8t B7 CVT cab from new. (2006)
REVO map to stage I 10,000 miles ago and stage II 1,500 miles ago.
Not really driven in anger and as such no hint of problems with the box.
Read a lot about CVT problems before modifying and remain convinced that later 7 clutch plate system is fine and a vast improvement over the previous system.
Very smooth and comfy drive with instant oomph on demand.

Brilliant

Good advice - I'll go for the later cars - or maybe a Q with the tip box.

Really helpful,

I'll post a link to the car I choose!

Thanks again

Doom