Sky InsuranceBadger5
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3

    EGR problem, power goes on and off

    Hi, I'm new here and been having a problem with my 2006 A4 2.0 TDI with BRE engine with only 32k kms.

    About a month ago, I experienced a sudden loss of power in my engine and saw that my EGR light is on.
    It feels like the turbo does not engage as the engine is slow to rev and seems like on safety mode.

    Brought car to my indy shop and connected it to the computer and revealed this problem:

    (1027) P0403 exhaust gas recirculating flow malfunction

    Had the EGR cleaned to no avail. But the car now sometimes has the power back, on and off.

    Been reading forums to decide on whether I should take it to Audi but seems like most diagnosis i've read is wrong and parts needed to be changed but did not address the problem.

    Anyone out there had this problem and was able to fix? Help!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pie eating land
    Posts
    1,355

    My Social Networking

    Follow ruffrida On Twitter Visit ruffrida's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and been having a problem with my 2006 A4 2.0 TDI with BRE engine with only 32k kms.

    About a month ago, I experienced a sudden loss of power in my engine and saw that my EGR light is on.
    It feels like the turbo does not engage as the engine is slow to rev and seems like on safety mode.

    Brought car to my indy shop and connected it to the computer and revealed this problem:

    (1027) P0403 exhaust gas recirculating flow malfunction

    Had the EGR cleaned to no avail. But the car now sometimes has the power back, on and off.

    Been reading forums to decide on whether I should take it to Audi but seems like most diagnosis i've read is wrong and parts needed to be changed but did not address the problem.

    Anyone out there had this problem and was able to fix? Help!

    Im not to sure but it could be the MAF, or a block in your exhaust.

    Strange !

    Have you got Vag-Com?
    B6 1.9tdi Quattro Avant Sport:
    My Build Thread = http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-c...so-begins.html

    Coming soon: -35mm Springs, Colour coded FOG grills, Trip stalk upgrade.
    Wish List; FMIC, BV43 turbo, Bigger Remap, Fat Clutch,Full Stainless, S4 Brakes, 5m mspacers - front, 10mm spacers rear, MFSW.

  4. #3
    Wrath's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    1,185
    It could be the MAF as the MAF and EGR are linked. Equally, is the EGR mechanism working, could you move the mechanism with your finger?
    Nathan

    Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

    Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

  5. #4
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffrida View Post
    Im not to sure but it could be the MAF, or a block in your exhaust.

    Strange !

    Have you got Vag-Com?

    Sorry I'm also a noob, what is the MAF? I don't have vag-com but my Indy shop has. Thanks!

  6. #5
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    3
    Where can I find the MAF? Can I easily reach it? Thanks!

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quad View Post
    Where can I find the MAF? Can I easily reach it? Thanks!
    I have just fixed what sounds like the exact same problem on my 2006 A4 tdi sline.

    I was driving a long then all of a sudden i lost all boost. I turned the car off and back on then it all worked (for a little while).

    The EGR valve was the fault code that come up on mine! However I spoke to a few "audi specialist garages" and they said it is most likely the turbo veins getting stuck or the Air Mass Meter...

    Try unplug the air mass meter - if that makes the car work as expected, its not the turbo! or see how freely the turbo actuator moves... if it moves with out any sticking spots it would likely mean it is Ok.

    That doesnt mean it is the air mass meter though (as I found out) after I bought a new one.

    Get one of your mates to turn the car on and off while your ear is on the EGR valve - it should make some noise as it moves but should STOP. Mine made lots of noise and when i took the hoses off from it I could see that it was not finding the right place to sit...

    I hope this helps!

  8. #7
    tr3m5's Avatar
    Audi Newbie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    34
    After dicking with my engine for a few months (BRE) I can wholeheartedly recommend getting the EGR mapped out and then blank it off. I also had a mild remap (+35hp/50Nm) at the same time.

    The car pulls much better, engine is much smoother (used to hesitate a little at WOT going through the revs) and doesn't smoke at all, the mpg has gone from around 42-43 average to 45-46. Cost around £250 for the re-map, EGR blanks and new gaskets.

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3m5 View Post
    After dicking with my engine for a few months (BRE) I can wholeheartedly recommend getting the EGR mapped out and then blank it off. I also had a mild remap (+35hp/50Nm) at the same time.

    The car pulls much better, engine is much smoother (used to hesitate a little at WOT going through the revs) and doesn't smoke at all, the mpg has gone from around 42-43 average to 45-46. Cost around £250 for the re-map, EGR blanks and new gaskets.
    can you advise where have you done it? and also, does it have any knock on effect on b...y DPF (e.g. does it stay on or it was removed during remap)? Ta...

  10. #9
    tr3m5's Avatar
    Audi Newbie

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by c3nturi0n View Post
    can you advise where have you done it? and also, does it have any knock on effect on b...y DPF (e.g. does it stay on or it was removed during remap)? Ta...
    The EGR delete and remap were done by Motech in Northampton, I blanked the EGR off myself using VAG parts from Audi.

    No knock in effects, I don't have a DPF but it won't have a negative effect, in fact it will be better as you get far less particulates without the EGR so your DPF shouldn't block up nearly as often if at all.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Symphony HU Goes on and off?
    By Ian W in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15th September 2010, 20:35
  2. Boost shutting on and off under slow acceleration??
    By Craigybaby37_A3quattro in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th February 2007, 06:54
  3. coupe 2ltr 16v lask of power between 2000 and 3000 rpm
    By imported_jaydee in forum Classic Audi Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th February 2005, 20:28
  4. pause in power between 3rd and 4th
    By philinman in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th December 2004, 13:39
  5. 2000 S4 problem power windows/locks/sunroof
    By imported_Townshend2372 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th October 2004, 08:02

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO