Led fog light error Help needed

jaceyq

Reaction score
Hi I recently bought some front Led fog lights from eBay . Install them correctly and shines brightly . Problem comes when I am
Ready to drive off , error on the dash comes on . How do I rectify this problem . Do I need to do a Vagcom
, VCDS or I need a resistors . Let me know .

resistors
or error free leds

Where do I get error free led fogs . If u find me one show me the link . And are resistor hard to install or how do I do it ..

Out of interest, why have you changed your regular foglight bulbs to LEDs? Every website I've ever looked at says that LED bulbs give out less light than halogens (for example, click here and scroll down).

Reactions: jaceyq
Ok cool , so will these bulb on this website work . Are they error free and Whiter than normal ones. Let me
Know .

Ok cool , so will these bulb on this website work . Are they error free and Whiter than normal ones. Let me
Know .

I have no idea whether they will work with your car. I sent you the link so that you would read the warning saying that LED foglight bulbs don't work as well as the original halogens.

Fog lights are generally to be seen, not to see, it's very rare they light up the road to any useful extent. But yes they are nowhere as bright as halogens. People tend to use them because they are a relatively cheap way of getting their fogs to match their white HIDs (no ballasts, low heat & long life, plus totally white light).

If you want LED fog lights just wire in some resistors, it's a 10 minute job (on top of changing the bulb while the wires are exposed) with a soldering iron...

Last edited:
These appear to be error free but can't guarantee anything. I've also been thinking about getting this done but was contemplating whether to go for the LED ones in the link above or 55W halogen ones off eBay which obviously will give a much better output of light but not too sure about the colour.

LEDs with almost certainly be whiter, but in order to get a white light from a halogen bulb they filter out the yellow part of the spectrum (so they appear whiter), which means overall the light output is reduced. Probably still be brighter than an LED bulb though.

Having said that they're getting brighter all the time (LEDs) and laser headlights are going to be standard on the next generation of premium cars...

The trick would be to get some that were certified road-legal, which would have to have enough light output. Not that there is any benchmark for fog-lights are they're not part of an MOT...

When someone does eventually make a 10w (or similar) LED H7 headlight bulb for main/dipped beams, 90% of people on this forum will have them no doubt

@ aem bull dog when u put them on let me know if they are error free . But to be honest I feel I may go proper xexon bulbs with mini ballast . But let me know how u get along and pics ..

I was thinking about HIDs but as I have coming home lights enabled, not sure to how they'd cope with being turned on suddenly?

Ok Cool . Let me know how u get on with those fogs and post pics up cheers

CREE fog lights fitted and they look quite good, but still get error on dash even though they're supposedly error free? :noway: Might just go for a pair of these halogens instead now LOL

I'm gonna try get some pics up some time but cus they're all on my phone I'm not too sure how to go about getting them up on here unless I can upload to PhotoBucket with an iPhone? :wacko:

Right, after some research I've decided I'll be going for these. They are Philips Diamond Vision and I know they have reduced light output when compared to standard bulbs because of the filter but they supposedly match the xenons alot better than other halogens.

I thought LED lights couldn't be used in fogs for some reason? i've seen on some sellers that they put a disclaimer on many of the bulbs saying they aren't road legal, i'm going to buy the whitest bulb i can get but tbh my halogens fogs are ok and i hardly use them only in winter when it is actually foggy.

Got some pictures of the CREE's I ordered off eBay. As you can see they're not really fog lights any more as the beam is just projected straight out rather than off the reflector but do look pretty cool. Will be swapping them over for Philips Diamond Visions soon as I'm fed up with the bulb error warnings and heard the colour match is really good with the xenons.

42528567.jpg

64679cd1.jpg