Badger5Monster Motorsport
    5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Craig Cull's Youtube Channel

UNEVEN TYRE WEAR... FRONTS ONLY...ANY SUGGESTIONS??

When i bought my A4 Special Edition it came with tyres that where wearing on the outside edge of the front 2 tyres. i figured this was down to previous owner under inflating the tyres. i then put some different wheels on with new tyres. 10 month (ish) down the line im getting the same result. i check my tyre pressures weekly and ive had the 4 wheel allignment checked. it doesnt pull, theres no knocks from worn bushes etc.... is this just a heavy car issue?? or am i looking in the wrong place? any help would be great.

Also any upgrade suggestions that could eliminate this would be great. its a shame to change tyres that are only low on the edge.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Wear on the outside edge only suggests the camber or toe-in isn't set correctly.

HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Wear on the outside edge only suggests the camber or toe-in isn't set correctly.

HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR
    thanks for your reply dave, i thought the same, but after the allignment check all seems to be well, and these guys a spot on coz they do all our accident damged cars that weve repaired. thats why im a tad confused, plus i dont have to fight with the steering etc??

5th Gear

Status
    what equipment did they align it with?
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    what equipment did they align it with?
    couldnt tel ya mate, they did it while i was working. ill find out.

5th Gear

Status
    The other thing to watch for is certain tyres do not suit certain cars. You'd think there'd be no reason for it, why should any tyres not be good on any car. However on my SEAT Leon Cupra, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres wore excessively on the inside. I would have said this was tracking but the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with a Cupra R and there's discussion here: Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 wear problems - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

Falken 452s were fine. So if nothing changes, maybe try some different tyres?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    However on my SEAT Leon Cupra, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres wore excessively on the inside. I would have said this was tracking but the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with a Cupra R and there's discussion here: Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 wear problems - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum
    Funny, I was just looking out for any comments on this as I've noticed the same issue with my eagle F1's on my avant!

Neutral

Status
    Are you sure its on OEM springs / suspension? i'm in a similar situation, frequent hunter 4 wheel laser alignment and same tyres all round fitted at the same time and i'm getting ware on the inside of the fronts, which is due to aftermarket lower h&r springs that don't meet the exact oem measurements. also if you have fitted larger wheels you'll need to change the tyre pressure from what is says in the handbook to the new wheel size pressure.
    2005 2.0T DTM quattro 281bhp,
    Carbon Fibre, MFSW, BOSE, Bluetooth, Parking Aids, Nav Plus, Recaro Leather & Alcantara, S4 Mirrors, RS4 pedals, H&R springs, RS4 ARB, Spacers, Debadged, Auto Lights/Mirror/Wipers, Silent Forge DV & Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta Tyres. Awful Mileage and some TTS Roadsport stickers!

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Yes mate everything suspension wise are oem parts.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

And I'm also using the correct tyre pressure for 19s. I've had cars in the past that have had this problem after putting it on lowering springs but nothing that has this problem as standard like the A4

Reverse Gear

Status
    didnt read through all the previous comments but are the wheels OEM wheels? if not the offset might not be right for the car

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

No the wheels aren't oem, but were fitted by Motorsport wheels from new, these were listed as correct. The previous dtm style wheels which were also oem (18") were wearing exactly the same way. I'm abit confused as to why it's happening

6th Gear

Status
    Is the chassis straight? I'm wondering if it had an accident before you bought it, and the chassis is twisted?
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

It's straight as a die mate, Ive had 13 yrs in crash repair as a painter and had it all checked out before I bought it. It's also 90% factory paint work with a 60 yr old bloke as the 1st owner. Think I mite call I'm bk to check the alignment again.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Im having the exact same problem with my 57plate sline mate, the car was from a company director, no damage to the car ever, no mods all standard including sline 18" alloys. I bought it 15 months ago and replaced the tyres with dunlop maxx tt tyres in december and ive dont at a guess 10k on them since then. The tyres seem to wear alot more excessively on the front tyres outer side.

I think they may need changing already. I put it down to excessive speeds going around roundabouts as theres 14 of the buggers each way from home to work all dual carriageways.

ive had my car laser alligned as dexel tyres, not sure what machine they use, and it all came back within the correct limits.

b4rrett

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

It's something I can't understand, unless it's down to weight? Therz only ever me an the wife in the car, we probably only weigh 20 stone between us lol! Dunno what to do really :/