HELP - using 1ltr oil every 600miles!!!!

snoopy

Reaction score
My oil consumption has gone through the roof over the past 6 months, using 1ltr every 600 to 800 miles.

Car is a 2.0 TFSI SE SLine Q, 2007. Do 50% M-Way 50% A and B roads. I do boot it now and again but mostly stick to med revs. Car runs like a dream, no loss of power, sounds as good as it always has. Done 72K and i've owned it from new. Petrol consumption is about 31mpg.

I've read lots of posts about piston ring issues, crankcase pressure valves and software updates - is there a defo answer to this?

that dose seem a bit much at 600 miles
audi will say its normal 1ltr to 1k miles tho

Have you changed anything in recent months...oil type? It does appear very high compared to other forum members. I am newbie with the same engine ( 180,000kms ) and I have owned my car since May and done around 4000 km's with no sign of any oil use yet.Not what you want to hear I am sure, and it must be getting you concerned. I understand that they have a rep' for drinking oil but nothing like the qunatities you have described. Like bez101's comments I understood a 1/2 - 1lt per thousand miles plus.

Good Luck
A

Check your coolant. I know it sounds daft but the oil cooler on mine is water cooled when it went it leaked oil into the coolant.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/154721-2-0-tfsi-oil-burn.html

its a well documented issue and no clear cut answer... some cars do and some cars dont... my car started doing this at 63k miles
it varies depending on the driving style and conditions... this month i have only burned around 200ml...
ive now started burning it at high speeds... so a boot of 120+ and ive lost 400ml or so..

ive learned to live with it as im out of warranty.. regular oil changes are helping me stay on top of this too.. im now changing oil every 4k instead of 6k and back down to around 200ml a month most months... it was worse before!

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Castrol seems to vanish quicker than Mobil 1. I've tried the VW branded stuff and halfords own brand and they all last about 600 to 800 miles a ltr.

I'll check the coolant though (sidibear) to see if it's contaminated.

I'll have to live with the oil problem as the car is out of warantee and i dare not image how much it would cost to investigate let alone fix. I should have been more forcefull with Audi when the car was newer, it used a ltr every 3k to 4k when new and it's gone steadily worse ever since.

yeh.. agreed you should have been but onwards and upwards.. many swear by the castrol but ive noticed it is worse on long journeys/fast runs.. and the valvoline held up for me.. people ask why that is.. but thats what ive found.. its good youve tried different oils.. may be trying a few more may help you decide which one will do okay for you.

the problem is most often the pistion seals and/or valve seals/valve stem seals... unless you have ruled out any oil leaks/damaged pcv etc. its sooooo annoying to say the least.. ive used more oil on one car in one year than i used in my other car over a number of years but oh well.. let us know how you get on.

try some thicker oil than is recommended? try a 10w40?
im guessing the stem seals that these use arnt of the quality they used to be.

Hate it when threads fall and no one replies but yes you can use 5w40 instead. Im now using fuchs pro s (formerly known as silkolene) and its ester based. Ester based oils are a bit more expensive but better at dealing with fuel contamination. Its all part of the oil burn issue... Comes with the oil burn. Change it every 3-5k miles and bingo. Ester based oiks are better for our engines than basic non-advanced synthetics like castrol. Dont get me wrong, castrol does the job but the detergent package is not strong as it should be for an engine like the audi. Try it and see how you get on.

Non-synthetic vs. synthetic motor oil | Toledo Newspaper

PAO vs Esters

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate it when threads fall and no one replies but yes you can use 5w40 instead. Im now using fuchs pro s (formerly known as silkolene) and its ester based. Ester based oils are a bit more expensive but better at dealing with fuel contamination. Its all part of the oil burn issue... Comes with the oil burn. Change it every 3-5k miles and bingo. Ester based oiks are better for our engines than basic non-advanced synthetics like castrol. Dont get me wrong, castrol does the job but the detergent package is not strong as it should be for an engine like the audi. Try it and see how you get on.

Non-synthetic vs. synthetic motor oil | Toledo Newspaper

PAO vs Esters

Thanks for that, i'll give it a try. Where do you buy your oil from?