A4 2.0T Coming off long service intervals...what oil type!

Molnboman

Reaction score
Hej

I am coming off the long service interval scheduling and want to move to regular oil and filter changes. My local garage are insisting that I can use a fully synthetic oil ( eg Castrol ) instead of the recommended VW/Audi Longservice "arm and a leg" stuff which they recommend. Is this correct?

Am sure this topic is up here somwehere, can someone please confirm or deny and send me a link to where I can obtain the info.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers
A

5 Litres of the VW/Audi longlife is nearly 100 quid up here!....shocking!

Last edited:
What a rip off. We sell it at £5 plus vat. Mine is set to time as distance and I use 5w30 still

507 long life spec is less than £30 for 5 liters, audi use the 507 long life even on time/distance servicing now

Just make sure your garage uses VW spec oil 505 spec for petrol, 507 for diesels

Although audi recommend 5w30 you might want to consider 5w40, it is certainly considered better for the 1.8T engine in an S3, better for the turbo as it is not so thin. Something like Quantum platinum 5w40 costs about £25.

If you want to stick with your original spec oil for just over £100 you could have enough oil for 5 oil changes...

FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL 5W/30 25 LTR AUDI 507 SPEC | eBay

Buy yourself a filter and you'll be doing it yourself before you know it!

Thanks for all the replies....am pretty sure they are talking about Castrol Magnetec 5w40....they are convinced that this suitable for Petrol 2.0t's!....I looked on the Castrol website and they are recommeding:

Time and distance srrvices:

BestEDGE Pro. LongLife III 5W-30(a)
BetterMagnatec Pro. OE 5W-40

and variable ( long life services 30k km's

BestEDGE Pro. LongLife III 5W-30(a)
BetterEdge Longlife II 0W-30

What do you think?

Cheers
A

I considered the castrol from Asda seemed best price i found and a damn sight cheaper than some i came across. Apart from when Opieoils has sale on. Also depends on what mileage you do in a day? i went for the thicker as its only about 5 miles to work for me and the long life thin stuff seems to degrade quite quickly on short trips