Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MTEC Brake Discs finally fitted

5th Gear

Status

MTEC Brake Discs finally fitted

After a long day, mainly because two bolts just wouldn't shift on the driverside rear, finally got my MTEC discs fitted and I'm very impressed so far. I am pleased I got the correct sizes as discs are difficult to measure while the wheels are still on but a bit of googling found the size codes that I matched with the label in the spare wheel well.

A few pics for yer:

Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    She looks great, how are the brakes?

4th Gear

Status
    In going to order some tomorrow. Did you go for black, silver or uncoated?? How long did they take to deliver?
    3.0 Tdi Q A4 Avant S-Line Dolphin Grey
    RNS-E retrofitted

3rd Gear

Status
    When i ordered mine i think they were about 4 days. And come i two packages due to weight . Assume yours will be the same size as mine Rowdyboy MASSIVE. I also fitted braided hoses at the same time.
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini7 View Post
    When i ordered mine i think they were about 4 days. And come i two packages due to weight . Assume yours will be the same size as mine Rowdyboy MASSIVE. I also fitted braided hoses at the same time.
    Yes, bloody MASSIVE.
    Which ones did you go for, drilled etc??
    Where did you get the braided hoses from?
    RNS-E retrofitted

2nd Gear

Status
    Had mine on for a couple of months with Black Diamond predetor pads, awesome stopping power, however recently noticed a little juddering so will keep an eye on things and see how it goes

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    So what is the correct diameter brake disc for a 3.0TDi? I have seen so many sizes quoted on websites as allegedly being the right fitment for my car.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Went for the dimpled and grooved ones with the mintex pads and (hose solutions) HEL hoses off ebay although i think goodridge do the hoses aswel. Actually ordered my discs off ebay from Audi A4 Avant 3.2 FSi Quat 05-07 Front Brake Discs Black Dimpled Grooved+Pads | eBay and assume theyre the MTEC ones. However i paid £220 for front and back????? It appears MTEC also deal on ebay now and it asks you to e-mail youre car deals after purchase to make sure you get the correct ones so they should sort you out.

Mine have been on since Feb and seem fine. Damn sharp when upto temperature
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

2nd Gear

Status
    Not sure if the 3.0 is the same as 2.7 but front 321,mm rear 280,mm on mine

Tiptronic

Status
    Fitted some of these the other week also, seem good so far but haven't tested their effectiveness as they're still bedding in for now 321mm & 280mm sound about right for the 3.0tdi. I just searched on their website and found my model and they fitted no problem.

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_A4 View Post
    She looks great, how are the brakes?
    I'm taking it easy for the first 200 miles but they are great, no squealing, stops nicely. Can't wait to test the brake fade. The delivery took 2 days and they did email to double-check the disc sizes. Mine were 280mm front and 245mm rear. Went for drilled and grooved silver, didn't feel the need to go for their black edition.

If you do some googling you can find the trim codes for the front and back. From memory mine were 1LB and 1KD and these are printed on the sticker in the spare wheel well.

If I'd had time I would've repainted my calipers but the bolt issue was a pain.

Next month is new springs. More money!
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Fitted some of these the other week also, seem good so far but haven't tested their effectiveness as they're still bedding in for now 321mm & 280mm sound about right for the 3.0tdi. I just searched on their website and found my model and they fitted no problem.
    Yeah the 3.0 TDI Quattro is 321mm front and 280mm Rear.

They do packages with Mintex pads which are pretty damn good!

DONT USE REDSTUFF PADS WITH THESE DISCS, i used a full set of redstuff with new drilled and grooved and the pads destroyed the discs within a few months.

Mintex pads are briiliant and less abrasive

Maritus Blue Audi A4 3.0 V6 S-Line TDi 275bhp, 585nm Torque

4th Gear

Status
    To the guys who've fitted Mtech discs, did your fronts come with a hole for the locating screw??? My rears did but the fronts didn't, it made them a pain to fit.
    Also, I seem to be getting vibration under braking.
    RNS-E retrofitted

1st Gear

Status
    That's interesting, mine have just arrived for the second time, my fault as I ordered the wrong size first time round. As yours mine fronts don't have a locating bolt! Not sure i'm too happy about that! Also I ordered the black finish which they forgot and I'm not paying another £14 to send this set back. All in all I am not sure how impressed I am with the whole MTEC experience.

Phil

5th Gear

Status
    No they didn't but I didn't find it a problem.
    Nathan

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    @ Carl & Rowdyboy.
    I had Mtec discs and Mintex pads fitted to my Sierra Cosworth and after about 1000 miles I also started to suffer juddering while driving through Holland and had to wait until I got back to have a look. The inside of both fronts had a raised area about the diameter of a golf ball. Mine were also drilled and grooved. May be worth having a look at yours if they have started to judder, if its like mine, it will only get worse.
    Breaking from 140 I couldn't hold onto the steering wheel it was juddering so bad.

The rears, however, are still fine.

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmo View Post
    DONT USE REDSTUFF PADS WITH THESE DISCS, i used a full set of redstuff with new drilled and grooved and the pads destroyed the discs within a few months.
    i think I'm right in saying EBC recently had a problem with a batch of red stuff as I had a rear pad disintegrate on me with oem spec discs.

Good luck with these Nathan, I have to say my experience of any combination of groved or drilled discs has not been good...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post

i think I'm right in saying EBC recently had a problem with a batch of red stuff as I had a rear pad disintegrate on me with oem spec discs.

Good luck with these Nathan, I have to say my experience of any combination of groved or drilled discs has not been good...
    I ummed and ahhd for a while and thought what the hell. At least I'm using Mintex. Nothing wrong so far and no brake fade, done nearly 500 miles on them so far.
    Nathan

4th Gear

Status
    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I have my wheels off on a regular basis, so it's massive problem. I just like to have them sitting nice and square before I put the wheels on. How they are now, there's the potential for them to be slightly out, hence the judder. Tbh honest, I've not had them on that long and may need to give them more of a chance but I'm not overly impressed. I got the full set with Mintex pads, they don't seem as good as the OEM setup I took off. I've experienced fade and the "bite" everyone talks about seems pretty hit and miss. Maybe I was expecting too much.
    RNS-E retrofitted

2nd Gear

Status
    Sidibear, did you contact Mtec?, if so did they replace them, the juddering is about the same for now but if it gets worse I'll be asking for replacements

loves quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I ummed and ahhd for a while and thought what the hell. At least I'm using Mintex.
    Bloody Boy Racer

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    Bloody Boy Racer

It's difficult not to drive an Audi like a typical Audi driver
    Nathan

Looking for Zombies !!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by carl-1968 View Post
    Sidibear, did you contact Mtec?, if so did they replace them, the juddering is about the same for now but if it gets worse I'll be asking for replacements
    Unfortunately, despite it only being few hundred miles it was just over a year after buying them as the car was off the road having a big engine transplant (2.0 Pinto to 2.9 V6 24V).

JSD 2.59
    Synergy-Solutions

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I ordered a set of MTECs with Mintex pads yesterday; I've gone for drilled and grooved. Couldn't see the point of the black coating option when the website says it wears off after a few miles.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Tiptronic

Status
    The coating only wears off on the surface areas which touches the disc pads... the primary reason is to prevent surface rust/corrosion on the disc (other than where it is regularly removed by use of the brakes by the pads)

Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Just spoke to MTEC on the phone. My discs and pads are being shipped today. It's a shame my garage can't fit them til next week, though. Am looking forward to being able to stop properly at last!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Just spoke to MTEC on the phone. My discs and pads are being shipped today. It's a shame my garage can't fit them til next week, though. Am looking forward to being able to stop properly at last!
    I'd consider cancelling that order, I got horrendous judder from motorway speeds after about a week and it's not gone away despite doing what they suggested. I've had them off 4-5 times now. I let them bed in properly aswell.
    Ill be getting some different discs very soon. I've never had problems like this before. I suspect they aren't up to the job with it being such a heavy car.
    Very disappointed.
    RNS-E retrofitted

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Sorry to hear that, Rowdyboy. Mine are on their way now, so I'll press on and hope that your experience was a one-off.

5th Gear

Status
    Mine are still fine if that's any help.
    Nathan

3rd Gear

Status

MTEC Brake Discs finally fitted

Mine are fine as well, fitted them in February. Tend to be heavy on the brakes aswel. Plus loads of bendy road around here and Sunday drivers

3rd Gear

Status
    Retract my comment, just looked through my old paypal receipts and found i purchased these
    Audi A4 Avant 3.2 Fsi 05-07 Front Rear Brake Discs Black Dimpled Grooved+Pads | eBay
    However when i got them in January the receipt was for £235 so a fair price hike. I assumed theyre were rebranded Mtecs but maybe not????

1st Gear

Status
    I'm considering Mtec for the front. Should I or shouldn't I ?
    Cheers
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wyliss View Post
    I'm considering Mtec for the front. Should I or shouldn't I ?
    Cheers
    Very happy with mine.

Tiptronic

Status
    I'm pleased with mine also. They stood up pretty well at ADI too!

They're slightly sharper etc than stock and they look good, but if you want a proper brake upgrade MTEC won't cut it in terms of stopping power...

1st Gear

Status
    Whats the general concensus on type of disc? Grooved etc etc etc?
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

Tiptronic

Status
    I went for Grooved & Dimpled. Drilled can crack if heated and cooled rapidly so not a good idea unless you're going to spend a lot of money on a set of discs. Any combination of grooved/dimpled depending on personal preference.

Grooved make a 'vvvvvvvvvvv' sound when you brake at speed (if you're next to a solid central reservation or something) and are supposed held disperse water as well as heat, not 100% sure what the dimples do that's different to the groves other than they make less sound...

I heard that MTEC discs are just standard (OEM?) discs taken to their factory, your chosen pattern etched into them, coated and shipped as MTEC... not sure if this is true or not?

5th Gear

Status
    Nah, not true. The Audi discs have a hole for a holding screw, the MTEC's don't. I have drilled and grooved and are wearing well.
    Nathan

Tiptronic

Status
    I was always sceptical about that theory... cheers Wrath

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Nah, not true. The Audi discs have a hole for a holding screw, the MTEC's don't. I have drilled and grooved and are wearing well.
    So how is the disc held in place like the Audi variant? I realise the wheel has to go on afterwards.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Drilled and grooved here too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast