Spare Wheel Mount Removal

Reaction score
Having removed the spare wheel and replacing with some Holtz, I'd like to remove the plastic threadded spindle in the centre of the spare wheel well and create a removable bag/lining to increase the boot space.

However, the plastic spindle appears to be fixed into the boot and not removable. There is a thicker collar which unscrews completely, but the spindle is 'hooked' under a metal lip in the boot floor. I'd preffer not to snap it off if possible so that it can be put back at a later date. Does anyone know how to take this out without breaking it?

I've done it on one car, but can't remember if it was an Audi or a Skoda. Anyway, just pushed down and twisted 90 degrees to align toggle with slot - like cufflinks.

Cheers for the reply. Gave it another try this evening and despite numerous attempts before I must've got it at the right angle this time and it just popped out!

Hi it should just slide out in one direction. I think itshould push out towards the back seats.It was very loose on my old B6 a4..hope this helps..