A4 cabriolet windscreen pillars fitment..

crell1969

Reaction score
Hello , can somebody please help me, some nice person has taken 2 of the inserts that slot into the aluminium pillars. I have managed to source the pillars including the inserts , but I have not got a clue how to fit them myself as these pillars have cost enough!! is there anywhere I can see how to or get a description how to fit them? any help will be appreciated. Mark

I replaced one of mine for the same reason, the black strip was missing..

You have to remove the sun visors and overhead light, then you can unbolt the plastic headliner.
Unclip the headliner further, then you'll be able to unclip the A pillar trims.

This will expose the nuts that hold the metal trims in place at the top.

Remove the rubber door seal / peel back until you expose the rivets towards the bottom of the metal trims.
Drill these out.
Then you should be able to unclip the metal trims.

Clip the replacements in, pop a rivet in at the base, re-attach the rubber, put the nuts back on the bolts, refit the A pillar trim, headliner trim, sun visors and overhead light and you are done.

Be careful not to lose the washer on the top bolt - you might find it held in place with mastic as I did, but mine had been removed before when the screen was replaced by the previous owner as he didn't like the look of it..

You might want to add some mastic to ensure a good seal around the screen as well, but don't go mad with the stuff.

I used ELSAWIN to get the instructions, which include diagrams so you can see where the clips are, which is useful as you then know what direction to pull the trim with less chance of breaking bits off.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jason, And thank you for your help how long did it take you to replace the one you took off please? Mark

Took about an hour to do one, I could probably do two in 1.5hrs..