Hi im new + advice on EGR remap

Darren198712

Reaction score
Right I am new to the forum and I work in the motor trade base in Birmingham

I recently brought a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 BRE. I am new to audi's and would like some advice

I owned a 2003 Nissan Almera which was my pride and joy and was highly modified (in my eyes) that was featured in Banzai recently
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486466_10151053860122803_1176860747_n.jpg

anyway the car was written off on april the 1st (I wish it was april fools) and I needed a car but I was not in a rush. I wanted a A5 or a A4 so I went out to buy a Audi A4

The car was a ex company car with 82k on the clock with full audi service history and print outs of what the lease company has spent on the car. I checked the car over and it was tidy and the mileage was slightly high but I never woried about that. When I got it home I took it into work and serviced it for the hell of it and change the cam belt on it as it was due

anyway I about a month ago I noticed the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler was leaking so recently I removed the EGR cooler and blanked the EGR off. I knew I would get a fault code. I was wondering if any one can recommend me some one that can remap a EGR delete. I blanked off the EGR as I had very heavy smoke on heavy acceleration so I disconnected the EGR and there was no smoke. so I decided to blank it off.

The EGR cooler is about £300 and I rather just delete the EGR as I know it would cause nothing but problems.

can any one on here recommend me a mapper that can delete the EGR via a remap? I am not too bothered about a performance increase.

I also have a Genuine copy of VCDS if that helps

Thanks
Darren

Last edited:
WHERE ARE YOU BASED? pendle performance in barnolswick quoted me 275 to remap my 2006 2.0tdi 140 they do a dyno test before and after so u can see the diffrence

hth
wayne

I used a guy in Nottingham if you are ok to drive up the 42?

Right I am new to the forum and I work in the motor trade base in Birmingham

I recently brought a 2006 Audi A4 2.0 BRE. I am new to audi's and would like some advice

I owned a 2003 Nissan Almera which was my pride and joy and was highly modified (in my eyes) that was featured in Banzai recently
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486466_10151053860122803_1176860747_n.jpg

anyway the car was written off on april the 1st (I wish it was april fools) and I needed a car but I was not in a rush. I wanted a A5 or a A4 so I went out to buy a Audi A4

The car was a ex company car with 82k on the clock with full audi service history and print outs of what the lease company has spent on the car. I checked the car over and it was tidy and the mileage was slightly high but I never woried about that. When I got it home I took it into work and serviced it for the hell of it and change the cam belt on it as it was due

anyway I about a month ago I noticed the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler was leaking so recently I removed the EGR cooler and blanked the EGR off. I knew I would get a fault code. I was wondering if any one can recommend me some one that can remap a EGR delete. I blanked off the EGR as I had very heavy smoke on heavy acceleration so I disconnected the EGR and there was no smoke. so I decided to blank it off.

The EGR cooler is about £300 and I rather just delete the EGR as I know it would cause nothing but problems.

can any one on here recommend me a mapper that can delete the EGR via a remap? I am not too bothered about a performance increase.

I also have a Genuine copy of VCDS if that helps

Thanks
Darren

Hi Darren,

I was chatting to someone at the GTI international and his opinion was that if you tap off some filtered air before the mass flow sensor that would not raise the fault code.

The theory explained to me was that when the EGR valve opens the volume of air metered by the mass flow sensor should be seen as decreasing (as air will be coming from the exhaust back into the intake), when the EGR is blanked the volume of air going through the mass flow sensor increases, which gives the error code. So if you can tap air from the airbox before the massflow sensor all should be fine.

I am still to try all of this wonderful stuff out, would be interesting to see if it works.

Hi Darren,

I was chatting to someone at the GTI international and his opinion was that if you tap off some filtered air before the mass flow sensor that would not raise the fault code.

The theory explained to me was that when the EGR valve opens the volume of air metered by the mass flow sensor should be seen as decreasing (as air will be coming from the exhaust back into the intake), when the EGR is blanked the volume of air going through the mass flow sensor increases, which gives the error code. So if you can tap air from the airbox before the massflow sensor all should be fine.

I am still to try all of this wonderful stuff out, would be interesting to see if it works.

I was thinking about this myself. I blanked it off and it has insufficent flow. I un blanked it and there is still insufficent flow but I think there is a Map sensor that reads the signals. so when the EGR opens there is pressure coming from the exhaust manifold to the EGR. If I tap off before the Air flow sensor there will be no pressure so the values do not change. This will make no difference I personally think. no difference from just putting a breather filter in. but I did think that if I place the pipe in between the intercooler and throttle posistion sensor I will have boost and that pressure might keep the ECU happy. I am a bit worried as im new to diesels and audi parts are expenive lol compared to the Japanese stuff I use to have. I was thinking of a remap to map the DPF and EGR out. I work in the auto trade and they cause nothing but nightmares.

How did you remove the EGR cooler? How did you hook up the coolant pipes?

I've had the EGR and DPF removed from my car but the EGR cooler is still there. My car is making some odd noises - once warm its like the noise you get when you blow over the top of a bottle and it changes tone when on or off throttle. Been doing it for a while now so doesn't seem to be hurting it just annoying.

I want to take the cooler off just to eliminate from the system. I have a blank for the exhaust port and am thinking of getting a hose made up to go from the bulkhead to the back of the block.

well it was a bit of a pain to do but I removed it.

the coolant fllows from the cylinder head > EGR Cooler > heater matrix and back out again (or the other way round)
anyway there are 3 or 4 allan allan key bolts holding the the actual cooler on the cylinder head.
the pipe that goes to the EGR diverter valve can be just blocked off as its a vac hose.
and blank both of the pipes with a blanking plate (exhaust manifold and to the EGR valve)

you will have to remove the coolant pipes and there is quite a lot of coolant so new coolant is required

anyway hose clamp the pipe on the matrix and remove the pipes off the EGR cooler. Then remove the pipe off the head.
then what you have to do is connect the coolant pipe from the Heater matrix to the cylinder head

I managed to use the pipe coming from the cylinder head to the EGR cooler and twist it round so its facing the bulk head and cut both the pipes so the meet up agaist each other. Then I used a pipe and hose clamps to join them together.
needed 3 good quality jubilee clips and a hose joiner (18mm or 25mm hose joiner). measure diameter of the metal hose on top of the EGR cooler (where the coolant flows into the cooler and out again)

it sounds quite easy but its just a pain to get to everything. I work in the motor trade and have quite a large amount of tools but still it was a pain.

Thanks.

I've bought a samco 130degree elbow and 2 metal joiners and 4x clamps. Looking at the pipes where they are now I guessed that 130 would probably do the job.

I was thinking about this myself. I blanked it off and it has insufficent flow. I un blanked it and there is still insufficent flow but I think there is a Map sensor that reads the signals. so when the EGR opens there is pressure coming from the exhaust manifold to the EGR. If I tap off before the Air flow sensor there will be no pressure so the values do not change. This will make no difference I personally think. no difference from just putting a breather filter in. but I did think that if I place the pipe in between the intercooler and throttle posistion sensor I will have boost and that pressure might keep the ECU happy. I am a bit worried as im new to diesels and audi parts are expenive lol compared to the Japanese stuff I use to have. I was thinking of a remap to map the DPF and EGR out. I work in the auto trade and they cause nothing but nightmares.

Hi Darren,

Been think about what you said and what I said, its all dependant on the pressure in the inlet manifold, I assume it would be above atmospheric as the vehicles are turbocharged, I also assume that the pressure in the exhaust system would be higher than the pressure in the inlet as the exhaust gases flow into the inlet. So:

My idea of connecting it to the airbox would not work as the "compressed" air would leak back from the inlet manifold to the air box,
If you connect a pipe between the intercooler and inlet manifold, that would be the same as blocking off the EGR as the pressure in both sections would be the same and you would get no flow ?