Paint bubbling on a 2005 s line!!!!

matt a4s line

Reaction score
Hi everyone was wanting to check if any other members are having the same issue with paint bubbiling along both doors at the bottom and around rear wheel arches? my car is a 2005 s line, in good nick to be honest so wasnt expecting this only noticed when i was polishing it. the bubbiling is definatley being caused from below the paint as the paint hasnt been broken and the bubbles are about 5mm in size, i heard maybe bad galazanising could cause this? as many 2007 and newer models are apparently worse?.

Will audi cover this? car hasnt been serviced with them but with a local mechanic so they will probably try and cop out of fixing it. Anyone any experience in claiming this under the 12 year body warrentry?

Thanks matthew

Wouldn't think you stand a chance of claiming under warranty TBH. Paint warranty is only 3yrs, perforation is 12yrs. Lots of terms and conditions to comply with which I imagine will include regular inspection by them (at service time?) so they can rectify problems at the eariest oportunity.

Definatly worth checking. They will just put a paint depth gauge on it and check it hasn't been in an accident. If they are happy with the result, it will then be passed onto Audi for them to decide if they will honour the claim. It will cost you nothing to try as it could be caused by poor zinc coat adhesion, resulting in corrosion. I'm a painter for skoda and if everything tallies up the claim usually goes through. Only thing that may pop up is a possible repair, in which case the repairing bodyshop would be responsible. Definitely worth a try tho mate, best of luck :)

Exactly I have nothing to loose, the corrosion isnt really bad but it shouldnt really be any corrision on this age and class of car to be honest a bit dissapointing!!!!.. Has anyone else had issues with corrosion on this age of car?. Also you say skoda honour the claims as long as it hasnt been repaired before, do you not have to have a full service history with skoda tho for them to honour this?. I am going to ring audi on monday and take it form there.. will keep this post updated!!..

Keep us posted on how you get on. Up here, you wouldn't stand a chance of claiming unless you had a full Audi body inspection signed off during the service interval at an Audi shop and the car was no older than 3 years. I have the usual rust under the front wheel arches edges....but it hasn't come through on the outside yet, and also I have a few slight blister spots on the rear nearside door from gravel chips....I understood the back hatchs on A4 Avants are prone to serious rusting too, but that may be on the B5's not B7's.
I share your frustration but at the end of the day we are looking at a 7year old cars, and certainly if you could see the climate abuse the cars get up here -25c winter +30c summer temps plus all the snow,ice and grit they drive through....I kind of expect it a bit.

Good luckand keep us posted.

Cheers
A

I have the same issue in totally different areas of the car, so no chance of it being poor repair damage. I don't have full service history, so I'll be interested to see what happens with Audi. I thought the corrosion warranty from hidden areas, ie from under the paint and not stone chips, was 12 years.

I have the same issue in totally different areas of the car, so no chance of it being poor repair damage. I don't have full service history, so I'll be interested to see what happens with Audi. I thought the corrosion warranty from hidden areas, ie from under the paint and not stone chips, was 12 years.

I have a neighbour with a 2002 Avant with rust under the front two wheel arches where the plastic lining mates up with the wing.
This car has 100k plus on the clock and has not been serviced by Audi for the last four years ( i.e. while he has owned it, he is the second owner). Audi Teesside are pursuing a claim for him with Audi UK that the original galvaising was not up to standard.
I'll keep the forum posted as to the end result.

Paul B7

We had a claim on a 2005 Fabia vrs which had an (s1) on both sills, which is replace both sills due to corrosion. I'm honna find out the basic scenario in which a claim was successful and let you know tomoz. Will maybe save you a trip.

Not saying it will result in a successful claim. But the system between all the brands are the same.

I dont believe you should need an audi full service history, I have read the terms and conditions of the warrentry which are as follows;

Body protection warranty
All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for
12 years from the date of fi rst registration.

The only preconditions are:
• The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be

within the warranty period

• The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insuffi cient care or maintenance, or by

external perforation from the inside out

• A member of the Audi authorised network must be advised about any perforation from the inside out immediately it is found

• All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved

parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection.

No mention of a full service history here, so they will not be pulling that one on me, if its not in the terms and conditions they cannot stipulate the vehicle must have a full audi service history as thats a breach of the warrentry contract.!!!.

Will let all know how i get on fingers crossed......

clear as mud is that......."against rust attacking internal cavities"........"perforation must not have been caused originally by external perforation from the inside out"

not sure how one can define that, seems to be a contradiction don't you think?

I dont believe you should need an audi full service history, I have read the terms and conditions of the warrentry which are as follows;

Body protection warranty
All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for
12 years from the date of fi rst registration.

The only preconditions are:
• The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be

within the warranty period

• The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insuffi cient care or maintenance, or by

external perforation from the inside out

• A member of the Audi authorised network must be advised about any perforation from the inside out immediately it is found

• All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved

parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection.

No mention of a full service history here, so they will not be pulling that one on me, if its not in the terms and conditions they cannot stipulate the vehicle must have a full audi service history as thats a breach of the warrentry contract.!!!.

Will let all know how i get on fingers crossed......

Aye, but shouldn't you have the body inspection section on your service book stamped at the required intervals for any comeback later?.

if you need a stamped body inspection book it should say that in the terms of the 12 year warrentry, I believe the most tricky part of the warrentry will be proving the rust is from the inside out and not the latter as they will more than likely say a stonchip caused this. I have a few stonechips on my bonnet and they are all grand so they will be geting shown them....

Have you owned the car from new?

Has there ever been a repair or damage on the area affected resulting in a repair beeing made?

if you need a stamped body inspection book it should say that in the terms of the 12 year warrentry, I believe the most tricky part of the warrentry will be proving the rust is from the inside out and not the latter as they will more than likely say a stonchip caused this. I have a few stonechips on my bonnet and they are all grand so they will be geting shown them....

Have you read your second precondition?

I serviced the car for a customer of mine, i am a full time mechanic. The customer bought it from new from audi belfast, the car has had thousands spent on it, last year the oil pump drive failed it got, a new turbo, clutch and flywheel, new big end bearings, and the new gear driven oil pump/balancer shaft retro fit kit, recently all new brakes, new top arms, new power steering pump. All work was done by myself, Audi didnt want to know at all about the oil pump failure,they said it wasnt a common problem and the failure was a result of abuse/ improper maintenance lol, I have a service book with every stamp in place!!! and just type in blb engine oil pump failure on google and see how many engines have failed. The customer than said enough and sold the car and i bought it because i knew it was mechanically mint.....

So I will not be taking any bull **** from audi about this 12 year corrision warrentry, my friend is a lawer and looked at the T & c of the warrentry and siad I have an excellant case and Audi cannot simply dictate to me

1. It must have a full audi service history
2. Must have been inspected by them on previous ocasions.

This is not in the terms of the warrentry so they havnt a leg to stand on tbh. Will be very interesting to see the outcome...

Sory got a bit carried away there!!! to answer the questions,

1.never been damaged I know this for a fact as i have always maintained the car.
2. Yes read the second precondition very cleverly worded, but I believe its apparent my rust is indeed from the inside out as the paint is still intact and ok, its just being forced into a bubble by rust coming from behind.

This is a very common problem with Audi apparently contaminated plating at the factory can cause this as the contaminations react and come to the surface...

still think you missed it, the precondition states the perforation must not be from the inside out. Hopefully this is a mistake but it's still something they may try to use against your claim......

unfortunatley I am going away on holiday this week so ive decided to wait to contact audi after my holidays.... will keep everyone updated..

still think you missed it, the precondition states the perforation must not be from the inside out. Hopefully this is a mistake but it's still something they may try to use against your claim......

Yes mate, you're missing the PERFORATION part, ie the paint must not have been damaged on any internal sections, for instance when removing trim.

Hi everyone was wanting to check if any other members are having the same issue with paint bubbiling along both doors at the bottom and around rear wheel arches? my car is a 2005 s line, in good nick to be honest so wasnt expecting this only noticed when i was polishing it. the bubbiling is definatley being caused from below the paint as the paint hasnt been broken and the bubbles are about 5mm in size, i heard maybe bad galazanising could cause this? as many 2007 and newer models are apparently worse?.

Will audi cover this? car hasnt been serviced with them but with a local mechanic so they will probably try and cop out of fixing it. Anyone any experience in claiming this under the 12 year body warrentry?

Thanks matthew

Hej Matt
Just over this weekend I have noticed bubblin paintwork at the rear bumper line on both sides.....sounds like we have the same issue. I thought it wa slimited to just under the wheel arches and stone chips but it would now appear to be rather bad on the rear wheel arch areas both sides. How did you get on....did you get any satisfaction from Audi GB?

Cheers
A

Hi All. My old audi a4 saloon had paint bubbling on both sides of the rear window just where the rain channels are on the roof.It was a 2002 model the car was 8 years old with full audi history and no panel damage. The body shop checked the thickness of the paint and forwarded the results to audi uk.Two weeks later the car was in for repairs.So i think audi will honour your claim upto 12 years.. :think:

Thanks for the info....Let you know how I get on.....won't get a chance to take it to the stealers until I return from Denmark. Only issue I have is that I have full FASH up till I bought the car in June....and I have a service stamp from the independent garage I bought it from, who did the last service on it!.....wonder if I should just play it ignorant and forget to take my service book. Their AUDI records will only show a FASH...up till Dec, 2011 but it will have needed a well overdue service by now.....if you see what I mean!....I will keep you posted.

Cheers
A

99% service history should help your cause..Good luck mate!

I have a neighbour with a 2002 Avant with rust under the front two wheel arches where the plastic lining mates up with the wing.
This car has 100k plus on the clock and has not been serviced by Audi for the last four years ( i.e. while he has owned it, he is the second owner). Audi Teesside are pursuing a claim for him with Audi UK that the original galvaising was not up to standard.
I'll keep the forum posted as to the end result.

Paul B7

.and the update is Audi rejected the claim !

Better check mine later, Although mines not got FASH. Does it cover those black window triangle bits (technical term :)) as i know theyve corroded a little

Service history is irrelevant to the paint/bodywork warranty, as you dont service the paint do you, thats mechanical, audi would have a hard time convincing a judge that the oil change wasnt done by them on this date, so the body started to rust, lol, I mean seriously you couldnt make this up could you.

Hi,

I have only actually had the car inspected today finally due to holiday and work etc... I went to Audi repair centre belfast to get the car inspected and guess what rust not covered why? those are zinc inclusions not rust so it is a paint defect not a body defect? what a joke.
The estimator wouldnt even photograph to send to audi as he said its a waste of time and would only result in not being covered....:weight_lift2:

Ok an update on the corrosion finally after many weeks (holidays and work) the car has been inspected.

Estimator says thats not covered as it is zinc inclusions not rust so its a paint defect not a body defect, what a joke tbh, he wouldnt photograph as he said its a waste of time as audi will just reject the claim.
How can a blisters nearly the size of 5p pence be a paint defect? the paint is perfect not broken so its bull s**t I believe, Its just away out of covering my warrentry as zinc inclusions are very common now on these cars at this age!!!. I said to the guy ok I will contact Audi directly again which I have and Audi uk said that they have opened a case but not to remain hopeful as they cannot overrule the body shops decision on paint or body defects lol........ Any help or ideas to prove my case?

Cheers Matthew

Hi Matt. Is it possible for you to take the car to another Audi dealer near you for a second opinion?:shrug:

Hi Thanks for the suggestion, Audi didnt inspect the car it was a approved audi repair centre and there is really only on within a 50 mile radius from me........

From how I gather it works, is that an approved dealer with a body shop would need to submit a report to Audi UK for the answer. That's how it works in Swedenshire anyway....and I am currenty waiting on a yes or no from Audi Sweden on my rust issues.

Estimator says thats not covered as it is zinc inclusions not rust so its a paint defect not a body defect, what a joke tbh, he wouldnt photograph as he said its a waste of time as audi will just reject the claim.
How can a blisters nearly the size of 5p pence be a paint defect? the paint is perfect not broken so its bull s**t I believe, Its just away out of covering my warrentry as zinc inclusions are very common now on these cars at this age!!!. I said to the guy ok I will contact Audi directly again which I have and Audi uk said that they have opened a case but not to remain hopeful as they cannot overrule the body shops decision on paint or body defects lol........ Any help or ideas to prove my case?

How the feck can the inspector turn around & say that load of shxt just by looking at it, what a complete load of horse poo.

How was he able to ascertain the issue was this without testing the actual area for rust, zinc etc which would have needed a sample, I find it impossible he can use the naked eye to explain it as 100% this being the problem without actually properly inspecting it.

So its a paint defect from factory? thus it was defective when they sprayed the car, so by this there own original build has caused the problem? See where I'm going with this.

Also I did a search for the zinc inclusions, lmfao & look what come up as 1st link:

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Zinc Inclusions

Couldnt make this crap up could you lol, they've got this issue scripted but as per that link give hima shout & get proof he was told this & then goto audi & say why did you do there paintwork with same issue & not mine, for me its worth a go.

Thanks very much for that link....

Its very disappointing the bull I have been told from Audi and Audi repair center the two are on the same page!!!! I am simply not going to accept this and I will pursue it as what Audi are doing is wrong, The car either has a 12 year corrosion warranty or it doesn't I have met all the terms of the warranty so a solicitor may be the answer if they are not going to play ball..... That link is very interesting and only strengthens my case so thanks!!!!

Personally I wouldn't take what an Audi approved bodyshop says because 90% of the time they can't be ar*d pursuing the warranty claim as its paper work and hassle for them to potentially get the claim thrown out and then they get jack for the time and paperwork they have created, but if the claim is authorised then they will only pay for that panel to be rectified and will not pay for blend panels so potentially u could end up with a car where the panels are a different colour then that is on the bodyshops toes and not audi's therefor alot of shops can't be bothered with the hassle!!!!

This is the case for Mercedes as I work in a Mercedes approved shop so I'm assuming it's the same for Audi's!!
correct me if I'm wrong.

Audi approved bodyshops are tbh about as approved as the labour party, lmfao.

I did some work for a client sometime back, my 1st job for him a fair while back now, I noticed his drivers rear quarter looked awful, matty/orange peel like, I advised you need that bodywork polished mate, then 6 months later it came back to us for me to do some front end upgrades & repairs after an incident, subsequently my guys found it had actually had a cut/shut damage/repair work that the selling dealer hadnt advised about, subsequently I went back to the selling dealer for him, advised of the issues & the fact they didnt tell him of this repair when he asked has it had any accidents/repairs, they admitted yes it had some work done, but tried to wriggle out of it, but we bit harder & threatened legal action unless the repair was done again & properly, by our guys not there's.

The original repair shop (approved, my ***) came & inspected after calling them out about it & they admitted it was a terrible job, hence agreed to pay for the full repair by our guys which looked perfectly factory when finished.

Point is, it amazes me audi can even have these places with approval rated without inspecting the workmanship, just pay a fee & job done, also how they can take the word of companies that do such bad work without using external properly trained inspectors with real tools to assess the issues, fair is fair, if the clients spend the money with them as a brand, they should have the proper professional backups in place for the issues like these to deal with PROFESSIONALLY.

What mostly peed me of about this situation were 2 things, the attitude of the wimbledon dealer MD, really didnt appreciate this at all tbh given the situation & when I called him out about it, he didnt have an answer & continued to try & avoid dealing with & 2nd, the guy at the original repair shop even said on email I still have, we have QC processes in place to make sure cars dont go out like this ever, I was like, mate, come on, you've inspected the car, QC my ***, that was never checked when it was sent back & you know damn well you're talking out of it.

I have more patients for dealers as I've experienced 1st hand some of what vag throws at them & fair is fair, they dont rip people of in allot of situations, parts especially they're not coining of, but service like this instance is inexcusable in my book, totally.

Guys thanks for those stories.
Yous are correct about the guy at the repair shop, I turned up and immediately got the impression that he couldn't be ***** even looking at it....not a good start, then to tell me a load of bulls h**T about zinc inclusions and them not being covered.....

I am going to fight my corner and when Audi ring me will be stating the terms and conditions in the 12 year warranty which my claim fully makes !!!!!!!!!!