S4 Avant

cejsmith

Reaction score
Hi

Been looking at get a new Audi, I've looked mainly at the cabs, but the stealer has a S4 Avant for about £29K.

Is there any problems with S4's?, what are the owners thoughts on them?

Thanks for the help

Col

Look mine to bits. I went in with my eyes open on fuel economy so it's not a problem...although on a long trip you do notice the £'s ticking by.

There's been one or two issues but nothing too major. All warrantied anyway.

As an average with varied driving (town work, motorway etc) I was getting 18. In fact I did 3000miles around Europe which was a mix of motorway (at 150mph), back roads, lots of Alpine hills and 4 days at the Nurburgring and I got just over 18.

Now the wife isn't driving it across town each day for work, it's gone up a bit to 19.

I worked out how much my fuel bil was on my chipped TT and the mpg and then worked out how much difference it would be in the S4. Given my milage it was something like £50 extra so that was acceptable to me.

cruise control at 40mph in 5th gear gives me around 31mpg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

so if you see me going along on the motorway at 40 you know why! lol

For what ever reasons I'm returning an average of 23 during the week with commuting and town driving and on long runs up to 28. Funny, fuel economy seems to go up the faster you cruise on the motorway.......... sorry track, track of course!! What was I thinking! Anyway 85-90 in 6th returns better than 70-80. Is it just me?

I imagine the Avant being a little heavier may return marginally less dependent on how much you continually carry in it but not so much to need a second mortgage.

S4, best car I've owned by a long margin and will only be trading up for an B7 RS4 when my six numbers come in (and a Gallardo but its still an Audi!)

hearing all this just makes me want an S4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

im probably about 10 grand short /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just got back from a 3000 mile jaunt around Europe which included every type of driving from 130mph+ on Autobahns to Mountain Pass roads.

Average fuel economy for the entire run worked out at 24.3 according to the DIS, which I dont consider to be to bad for a 4.2l V8, particularly given some of the high speed stuff through Germany

When I came back from my 3000 mile trip (same as you Autobahns and mountain roads) I only had an average of 19mpg. I did have four days near a place called Adenau though!
sekret.gif