Can SDS and voice telephony be enabled on an A4 Cabrio

wesalexleft

Reaction score

• I've searched the threads, and looks like it may be possible, but there is so much information, and now I'm confused, so I thought I'd ask those "in the know". I have a 2009 A4, B7, 8H, with the RNE-E, Bose, Sirius, and Bluetooth enabled head unit. From what I understand the Speech Command (SDS) and telephony commands are disabled on the Cabrios due to the possibility of poor performance when the top is down. The steering wheel DOES have the talk button, but its disabled. This is my wife's car, which she uses for work, and needs to enter multiple addresses into the NAV. Doing this manually is a pain on the RNS-E! I'd like to get the Speech recognition activated on the head unit. From what I've found, I know I'll have to re-wire the mike from the Bluetooth input directly to the RNS-E. Does this disable the bluetooth entirely, or is it no longer needed when the change is made and dialing is all capable from the head unit. Also, I know there are some firmware changed needed on the RNS-E. Does anyone have a good source of info to make this change that is all in one thread/location? Any input as to where to start to make this change with resources, step by step, etc would be appreciated.

If it's an 8H with an RNS-E then it's a B7 - remember the cab carried on in production after the saloon and Avant switched over to the B8.

Do you mean full SDS or just voice dialling? To get voice dialling you just have to enable it by correctly coding the BT module (see Audi A3 (8P) Telephone Preparation - Ross-Tech Wiki), if it's full SDS (control of RNS-E mode as well as voice dialling) then you need to apply a software hack to the RNS-E and re-wire the mic via the RNS-E.

I would like full voice control over the nav as well as the phone, but NAV the most. I dont have any problems rewiring the mic, but I'm a little confused on the hack for the RNS-E. I have the hack code for it, but from what i've read, then you have to take the RNS-E back to an older update, then update again, and I believe that VCDS would be required as well for the MFSW. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!

I would like full voice control over the nav as well as the phone, but NAV the most. I dont have any problems rewiring the mic, but I'm a little confused on the hack for the RNS-E. I have the hack code for it, but from what i've read, then you have to take the RNS-E back to an older update, then update again, and I believe that VCDS would be required as well for the MFSW. Does that sound about right?

Thanks!
Sounds right to me.