My Lack Of Offset/ET Knowledge!

RYN-LDN

Reaction score
I have been on a quest to find myself a good used set of 19' alloy wheels for my Audi A4 B7 S-Line Saloon, to find myself stuck when they start talking ET's and Offsets. I did some reading and know they basics, the lower the offset the more it 'sticks out' toward the arch and the higher the offset, the more it 'sticks in' to the arches - but I don't really know the range in which I have to play for my A4 without causing any rubbing or fouling of the calipers. I've tried searching but to no avail..

Can anyone help?!

I am looking at some Audi/BBS Speedlines in 19X8.5J - PCD 5x112 - ET48 - Center Bore 57.1, and the supplied tyres which will need replacing are 255/35/19.

Thanks all!

I did a little more searching on the international forums and from what I gather, the OEM S-Line's have a diameter of 18 inches with a width of 8 inches, and the offset being ET43 (43mm).

The offset range can be anything between ET35 and ET45 depending on the size and width of the rims.

So with this in mind, what kind of spacers would I need to get for these alloys?

What your buying will be fine, buy them and fit them, if there is a masive gap, get some spacers, I'm running 19x8 BBS with et50 on 215/35/19 tires and have 15mm spacers in and my car is decked to the floor.......no rubbing and looks sweet

ONLY buy hubcentric spacers. Don't buy the cheap universal ones from ebay for £10.

I've just recieved my spacers in the post today and I was in your situation at the beginning of the week. Original alloys offset was ET43. New ones were ET45 (2mm less 'sticky-out' than OEM). As I wanted them to sit flush with the arches and I had about a 10mm gap with OEM I bough 12mm spacers. Which with the new wheels will give an effective ET33.

It varies depending on how you want the wheels to sit as to what spacers YOU need. But each 1mm added to a spacer takes away 1 from your resultant ET value. I will post picks when I get my wheels, springs, brakes & spacers fitted on 25th...

JJMurphy21187, Where did you end up getting the hubcentric spacers & bolts from? I've seen a few on eBay for around £45+, specifically the 10mm ones.

So on the alloys I intend to get which are a ET48, those spacers will bring it down to a ET38?

It's hard to imagine such small measurements make such a difference!

i am running an s line and have just dropped it 45mm fitted 19" alloys with 235/35/19s alloys are et45 but didn't fill the arches so fitted 15mm hubcentric spacers giving an et of 30 and they fill the arches nicely ,no issues with rubbing or catching as yet .

if you were to buy the alloys with et 48 they are around 12mm wider than standard so will be 6mm wider either side of the centre line anyway which is near enough the standard wheel position ,but personally i would run at least 15mm spacers on those .

lowered 45mm on eibach sportslines ,19's with et 45

IMG_1040.jpg

with same set up and 15mm hubcentric spacers fitted

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

cheers dav

Last edited:
Cheers for the info Dav, and nice looking alloys! I was looking around for the hubcentric spacers and found loads of companies selling them. Did you go for a specific brand? I read the aluminium ones are the best somewhere on this forum..

JJMurphy21187, Where did you end up getting the hubcentric spacers & bolts from? I've seen a few on eBay for around £45+, specifically the 10mm ones.

So on the alloys I intend to get which are a ET48, those spacers will bring it down to a ET38?

It's hard to imagine such small measurements make such a difference!

I got mine from Mark @ BM Autosport, same place as my alloys. Great customer service. They were 12mm & £75 a pair including extended bolts, which you'll need which ever spacers you buy, so factor in that cost when comparing prices... I also got some locking bolts separately from ebay for about £20. I believe they were all TPI branded. Nice anodised black finish so they'll match my black coated discs when they come too. In the end I decided to get them from Mark because he seems to know his stuff and I wasn't 100% on which fitment I needed.

I'm really tempted to get 245/35/19 tyres and avoid the stretched look... would be great if someone could comment on rubbing issues!?

Am I correct in thinking that an offset of 30 with 19" wheels, lowered a small quantity on coilovers, would be pretty close to flush? I'd like flush, but not pull me over. (B7 3.0 Quattro)

After collecting the Speedline alloys, cleaning, sealing and buffing them, I went my local tyre shop today and they rebalanced the alloys and as they were fitting them, the tyre was in contact with the suspension arm! Ergh! What a fail!

Now I need some hubcentric spacers and I shall once again begin my search on good ol' eBay. Question is, how much clearance do I need?! would 10mm cut it or should I get 15mm/20mm?