BLB Engine, anyone done the chain to gear conversion without spending 000's ??

FlawlessA4

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an 05 A4 Avant, BLB 140bhp. 140,000

Don't mean to be rude but,
Before we start, i don't want this thread to be about Taking Audi to Court or how much You got screwed over, and how they should compensate you ect ec.
Because thats all i can find about this issue and not solution's !!

So Who has Done the Chain to Gear conversion and how much did it cost them ?
Are there any alternative solutions to complete replacement ?

Also, I'm quite surprised my engine hasn't blown yet !! any thread I've read with chain to gear issues have all been under 100k miles and I'm well over now at 140 ? this is also puzzling me !!!

Thanks a million to all the help.

Padraic

not all BLB engines will blow up, if yours has 140,000+ miles on the clock, there is no reason is shouldnt do another 140,000 again (so long as you keep up to date with the services lol) you only here the sob stories about those that have suffered the problem, but those that havent suffered (like you're self) dont rave about it not blowing up, why would they, unless you have a genuin reason like its sounds like its on its way out for doing the work, i wouldnt bother going down that route and stop thinking about it, hope this doesnt brake the rule on discusion and politics, just think some people get too scared and panic.......Don't!

Reactions: FlawlessA4
I used a different kit which I bought from an engineering company from Ireland. Very good guys to talk to. Basically it consists of a new (modified) crank gear and new chain and tensioner. I paid about £360 for the kit and fitted it myself. Inbelieve the gear driven kit is 1k alone and that's even if you can buy it now? Back order for ages!!

not all BLB engines will blow up, if yours has 140,000+ miles on the clock, there is no reason is shouldnt do another 140,000 again (so long as you keep up to date with the services lol) you only here the sob stories about those that have suffered the problem, but those that havent suffered (like you're self) dont rave about it not blowing up, why would they, unless you have a genuin reason like its sounds like its on its way out for doing the work, i wouldnt bother going down that route and stop thinking about it, hope this doesnt brake the rule on discusion and politics, just think some people get too scared and panic.......Don't!

I tend to agree with bigrich that you will "probably" be Ok if you have got to 140 K.
That said, and to answer your specific question, the cost to convert my BLB at Audi Teesside (with 20% off parts and with 50% off labour)was £2053.60 and that included a new water pump. timing belt kit and new bearing shells.

As long as you are happy driving around with a component under tension and that tension being supplied by a bit of plastic, then yeah you'll be fine. However, the symptoms of this problem can happen from out of the blue and when they happen you have to stop using your car, it isn't a case of leaving it and book it in sometime.

A couple of years ago mine cost £1850 with cambelt and water pump. One of the parts alone is £800.

As long as you are happy driving around with a component under tension and that tension being supplied by a bit of plastic, then yeah you'll be fine. However, the symptoms of this problem can happen from out of the blue and when they happen you have to stop using your car, it isn't a case of leaving it and book it in sometime.

A couple of years ago mine cost £1850 with cambelt and water pump. One of the parts alone is £800.

Most chain driven engines have plastic tensioners on them. The fact the tensioner breaks in my opinion is the fact the gear is sprung loaded. Mix that in with a heavy balance shaft unit and you will get chain slap. Hence the breaking of the adjuster. My adjuster hadn't broke on mine anyway. Just wear on the gear teeth causing the noise. The car's last 80-100k with the original. I'll never see that mileage out of my car whilst I own it. So it's money we'll spent in my opinion.

Thanks a Million for all the replies guys.

I would be tempted to just leave it be, BUT i got a loan out to fix the car and i plan to run it into the ground for the next few years and don't plan on spending a penny more than the usual service and wear and tear.
JON35Y sorted me out with a contact there, ( thanks a million) so I'm going to source a price and a part just to future proof the inevitable !!

thanks again.

Padraic

Thanks a Million for all the replies guys.

I would be tempted to just leave it be, BUT i got a loan out to fix the car and i plan to run it into the ground for the next few years and don't plan on spending a penny more than the usual service and wear and tear.
JON35Y sorted me out with a contact there, ( thanks a million) so I'm going to source a price and a part just to future proof the inevitable !!

thanks again.

Padraic

I just ordered that kit from powermax in the north,
my blb is on 115k miles and no issues, but i just cant stand waiting for it to implode!

I just ordered that kit from powermax in the north,
my blb is on 115k miles and no issues, but i just cant stand waiting for it to implode!

Fully understand, this is why I got it fixed when I had no problem. Just didn't feel confident driving the car knowing it would break at some point.

Reactions: podgemasterson
Fully understand, this is why I got it fixed when I had no problem. Just didn't feel confident driving the car knowing it would break at some point.

Exactly, i've had the car four months now and haven't been able to enjoy it fully yet, did you or anyone on here use the powermax people?? They seem genuine when talking to them but I'd like to hear some feedback! cheers,
Padraic

Exactly, i've had the car four months now and haven't been able to enjoy it fully yet, did you or anyone on here use the powermax people?? They seem genuine when talking to them but I'd like to hear some feedback! cheers,
Padraic

Yes I used them and like you said, I found them very helpful and honest people. I believe they even supply an Audi garage in the south of England with the kit for people who don't want to spend crazy amounts on the gear setup. They will help you out with any questions you have.

imo if yours seems fine now......... its only a matter of time before it isnt fine.

you have 2 chioces, you can either be preemptive in your approach to this known and documented design fault..... or wait for it to let you down, could be in a months time or 2 years. who knows.

theres 5 blb engined a4s that come into our garage. ive changed each one. and non them reached the 140k yours is on.

Most chain driven engines have plastic tensioners on them. The fact the tensioner breaks in my opinion is the fact the gear is sprung loaded. Mix that in with a heavy balance shaft unit and you will get chain slap. Hence the breaking of the adjuster. My adjuster hadn't broke on mine anyway. Just wear on the gear teeth causing the noise. The car's last 80-100k with the original. I'll never see that mileage out of my car whilst I own it. So it's money we'll spent in my opinion.

what noise does it cause
what are the signs if any ?

Usually it's a rattling noise from the engine. However, there have been failures with no symptoms. If driving at speed, say 70, then there is a high chance of completely writing off your engine.

On idle you will hear a rattling noise from the front bottom of engine. Mine was a slight noise but replaced it anyway. Better to be safe than sorry. Mine was done at 60k. Found wear on the gear, chain and the hex drive into the oil pump. Replaced all parts including a new tensioner and it's been perfect ever since.

OH mines been rattleing for the last 10k
whats the link for the parts ?

OH mines been rattleing for the last 10k
whats the link for the parts ?

This is the company that do the modified gear etc that I used
J0N35Y said:
POWERMAX ENGINEERING ON

TEL - 028 867 62073 or 62305

EMAIL - enquiries@powermaxengineering.com

Have a chat with them. I found them very useful and are always willing to answer any questions that you may have. Good luck!

Mark

its like a medium to lightish tinkling rattle noise from the front of the sump. you can hear it best thru the lower grill in the bumper.
once youve got the rattle noise thats the plastic foot on the tensioner thats snapped and the chains flapping around.
the teeth on the sprockets will now be slowly wearing out.
one of the ones i changed the sprocket on the balance shaft was so worn it was literally just a disc.... no teeth left at all! the chain was very slack and worn but amazingly still in place, but obviously not providing the drive to the balance shafts/oil pump.

doubt mines that then
its from the top sounds near the inlet mani
sounds ruff as ****
but drives perfect

hi
what sort of money was the kit?

If you visit ebay uk and search Audi Oil Pumps there are usually several kits for sale, some by Powermax directly.
Don't forget this isn't a kit to convert the oil pump to a gear driven unit, it just replaces the original chain driven unit with a like for like.
Direct from Powermax ( Google Powermax ) I believe the kits retails at a higher cost than from ebay. I looked into this when I had my BLB repaired and for me the option was to have a gear driven unit fitted and not a replacement chain driven unit.

Paul B7