wippy gear change and startup rattle

seany26

Reaction score
Hello all,
Bought an s4 back in march and am just going over a few things that are annoying me with the car. Don't get me wrong its an amazing car to drive but just not perfect.

1. when changing from 1-2,2-3 the rpm's seem to hang when at low rpms (around 2k) causing a wippy gear change.

2. The constant rattle on start up for 1-3 seconds from the engine area. espically first start in the morning.

anyone with with information on any of these issues i would love to hear about them.

05 B7 audi s4

not sure one 1. but 2. sounds possible, if i remember right like a stretched chain problem....its apparently quite common on the s4 engine. (look up b6 s4 engine rattling) or something similar.

though ready to be proven wrong...

hymmn so what your actually saying is its ok to have a worn chain and tensioner lol, and when it fails in a few thousand miles and his turbo goes due to starvation he will have his head in his hands and wish he never listed to such stupid advice

the probem is its costly due to main dealer no longer selling the chain etc they do a conversion, im also pretty sure there is companys selling pattern part chain kits etc which would make it good for another 60k or whatever, new hex shaft and chain kit needed, or convert to the proper setup

there is also another possibility of just noisey lifters etc on startup you need to get it listned to to find out

I'm fairly sure his turbo isn't going to have any problems.

Apparently 1-3 seconds of startup rattle on the B6/B7 is considered normal by Audi due to aforementioned oil pressure being low initially but I do know that my 2007 B7 S4 doesn't do it (yet).

No, not saying that. I wouldnt expect him to ignore the issue on one small post I made. Just covering a possible cause. And the rattle on cold start while oil circulates seems to be a common issue. Obviously get it checked but dont get yourself in a panic in the meantime. Everyone goes for the worst outcome and more often than not it turns out to be something else. However mine also has a ticking which lasts a while and since reading on the forum the stretched chain is always in the back of youre mind. So I Will also be getting mine looked at soon