AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Reverse Gear

Status

ADVICE about window tints...

Hi I am new to this site and thought id ask a question I could find out by google lol.

I have an 06' plate S-line Avant (see pic) and wondered what tints and grades of tint would look good where.

I am thinking limo boot, dark smoke rears and light smoke fronts but will this look odd?

HELP as I wanna get this doen asap. It looks tinted in the pic below (don't know why but I do have the sun guards built into the doors so it could be that). I did also have a little play with picasa on this pic.

Thanks for reading my first thread...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    Hi martyb, just thought I would let you know, ANY tinting of the front two windows is ILLEGAL, so you will be wasting your time having those done, as if you get stopped by the local constabulary, they will ask you to remove the tint, there and then and even hit you with an on the spot fine if they choose, so be aware!
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    you can get on the spot 3 points for each front window done
    fines and probition orders
    depends on the copper
    usaly 1 warning and rip them off at road side
    that stays on file second time points

Neutral

Status
    I thought you were allowed a 25% tint on the front? ive seen the plod with meters to test the tint. The law has maybe changed since then.

I like the OEM privacy glass look so all my tints are to replicate that.http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/...1122011053.jpg

Nice car martyb and good first thread!

5th Gear

Status
    Most cars now have a tint already in the fronts up to the legal limit, therefore even a light tint will push it over.
    Look out your front sides and then out your windscreen and you should see the slight difference.
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

6th Gear

Status
    I had my tints done, rears are dark black, fronts are 15% which is well within the legal limit of 25%.

Mac
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

Abb
    2nd Gear

Status
    By law, you cannot have any aftermarket tint on your front two windows. The figure is as low as 8% from memory, which is the equivalent of the factory applied tint. Will double check the limit.
    Audi S4 quattro cabriolet in dolphin grey metallic, Audi exclusive crimson red leather/black piping, red hood, carbon inlays, RNSE, tiptronic gearbox with paddleshift, electrically adjustable & heated seats, 6 disc multichanger, DVD multichanger, monitors in headrestraints, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, folding door mirrors, storage pack, 19" OE VW Touareg wheels with 25mm spacer/adapters all round, non res cat back quad tipped Milltek exhaust, lowered 30mm on H&R springs

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Abb View Post
    By law, you cannot have any aftermarket tint on your front two windows. The figure is as low as 8% from memory, which is the equivalent of the factory applied tint. Will double check the limit.
    My fronts are 15% (factory + aftermarket)

Check this
    Tinted vehicle windows - the rules : Directgov - Motoring

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

1st Gear

Status
    The reference for window tinting (which is the basis of the law) is Visible Light Transmission. This is a measure of how much light is allowed to pass through the glass. A VLT of 75% is not the same as tinting to 25% for many reasons. First up, factory tint on your windows will reduce the transmission to a certain value. For arguments sake, let's say factory tint is to 80% VLT. If the maximum is 75% (as it is) then that doesn't mean you have 5% left to tint. If you add a 5% tint to the windows now then you're adding 5% tint to an already tinted window, and the tints are rated at 100% clear glass VLT. Tinting an already tinted window is not as simple as just adding the numbers together. If you wanna do the maths and work it out, you'll see that a factory tint can have virtually nothing added to it before it drops below the legal limit. Even a standard glass side window is not 100% VLT as you're generally in to Lab Grade figures for 100% VLT on glass. Not something that car manufacturers aim at.
    Last edited by Viking; 4th June 2012 at 14:06.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    My fronts are 15% (factory + aftermarket)

Check this
    Tinted vehicle windows - the rules : Directgov - Motoring
    has it had the tintman on it ?
    iv had factory audi tinti fail the 75% in the past
    and been in the tinting game for 10 years anything on the front will put it over

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the in depth info, I guess I'm over the legal limit then, but I'm guessing the police where I live aren't up to speed or are not interested lol- happy days.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi Marty
    I would give away body parts for wheels like that, they look the dog's bits are they BBS???

1st Gear

Status
    I had dark smoke fitted on the front windows of my last car (golf r32) and was never pulled up in 7 years. However on my A4 I've only had the rears fitted with dark smoke, and I left the front as standard. I'd advise against limo tint as it's harder to see through at night (looking through the the dark smoke at night is almost the same as without them being fitted so good there), plus dark smoke on a car with a dark interior is hard to see through anyway so you won't gain much by limo-ing the rear.