Chris NottSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

EGR BYPASS AND DPF DELETE WORTH IT ??

Hi guys, just s quick question for those in the know, as the title says EGR Bypass and DPF delete is it really worth it ? Im not really interested in more power and my reasons for the bypass / delete would be purely preventitive " the less there is to go wrong " sort of thing. I know a remap will be needed and i will gain a few bhp, but like i said im not really bothered about that.
    Car is A4 2.0TDI S LINE 170, injectors have been replaced + full service etc and is running quite well at the mo apart from a slight " hickup " about 2000rpm when its running steady in traffic ( the cause of which is unknown at the mo, undergoing the process of elimination )
    Any comments appreciated.

Cheers
    Rich

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    yes its worth it.
    my mate did it on his Alfa 159 2.4 TDI.
    you will notice the car is more responsive, better MPG, if mapped correctly with a stainless steel exhaust you might get up to 220 BHP.

the downside is you wiil notice more smoke as you accellerate but the amount of smoke depends on who maps the car.
    secondly if you car is 2008 or 2009 onwards then the DPF is a legal requirement. but then its down to your local friendly MOT fella. WINK!! WINK!!

1st Gear

Status
    I had my EGR replaced with a machined ally pipe from Darkside Developments and I took my car to Lion Garage in Hay on Wye and they had a replacement pipe made up for the DPF - rather than gut the DPF and weld it back up.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4...on-garage.html

Its been fine so far. It doesn't smoke either which is a good thing. I do have a problem with losing coolant but I believe this was already present before the work was carried out - hadn't had the car long and it was low on arrival at Lion.

Shark Performance Shropshire

Status
    If you don't want a power increase, you could just do a dpf removal & stage 0 remap!

DPF is NOT mot requirement

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replys guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by APAutomotive View Post
    If you don't want a power increase, you could just do a dpf removal & stage 0 remap!

DPF is NOT mot requirement
    Funnily eniough i have just been speaking to the guys at Shark in Nottingham about that very thing, sounds like the route i will be going down.

Cheers
    Rich

AjM
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

Status
    On some cars, no it isn't, however on your engine, very much yes, the difference is phenomenal!!!

Shark Performance Shropshire

Status
    Its very popular as more people are becoming aware of this service, & as we all know the DPF is problematic & is a serviceable item

Neutral

Status
    Totally worth it, I went the new pipe route as the DPF pipes where very restrictive. I'm also running a Darkside EGR blank pipe.

It's transformed the car not just power wise but drivability is vastly improved and I find myself using 6th gear a lot more.

DO IT!

3rd Gear

Status
    It wont give bhp rise however it will be that bit more responsive, i defo recommend this. You will definitely notice the difference.

4th Gear

Status
    We've done this for a couple of forum members and the results have been superb, You also get a nice turbo whistle with the gutted DPF.

Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

Neutral

Status
    I had dpf/egr removal and remap from Rick and the car has never drove so good, I can highly recommend getting it done.
    Thanks again Rick

Genuine Full VCDS - PM for details (Manchester)

1st Gear

Status
    me to, with out doubt the best thing i have spent money on doing, you also get exellent back up with rick if needed and he is a very knoledgable guy!

highly recommended.
    A4 b7 170bhp quattro | 210bhp remap from Rick @ UNICORN MOTORSPORT ( 07880558534) | DPF deleted | EGR deleted | 19" TSW Zolder 5 custom bronze wheels | rs4 grill | rs4 22mm rear sway bar | lamin-x head lights, fog lights, side repeaters | custom carbon wraped chrome window trims | E M Tuning LED conversion lights | genuine audi s4 rear valance | genuine audi s4 quad exhaust system to fit diesel | cupra R splitter | black audi ring badges | alpine headunit, hertz spl sub with JL audio amp |

Reverse Gear

Status
    mine will be getting done in the next few weeks by rick can't wait

Neutral

Status
    Really interested in having this done on the my 140, got a few questions though.........What sort of peformance gains would I get? What is the cost? Also is the DPF not required for MOT's? I've also heard a rumour that in the future garages will be checking for remaps as part of the MOT?

Thanks,

Chris

Neutral

Status
    can you not buy the buy pass pipes ( and self fit ) then get a re map ? would be interted to know what people are charging for this work. does no one do the pipes off the shelf ?
    A4 S-LINE AVANT 2.0TDI DOLPHIN GREY.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogsie View Post
    Totally worth it, I went the new pipe route as the DPF pipes where very restrictive. I'm also running a Darkside EGR blank pipe.

It's transformed the car not just power wise but drivability is vastly improved and I find myself using 6th gear a lot more.

DO IT!
    This is what i have. Good mod imo. The Darkside EGR pipe has a little grub screw you could fit a nipple too for a boost gauge.

Chrisd1983 - the 140 does not have a dpf.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
    Chrisd1983 - the 140 does not have a dpf.
    Is this true? Bit of an old thread so apologies but I have just had a new turbo fitted, and wondered what caused the old one to go. Assumed (as you would) it could be linked to dpf. But I have a 2.0tdi (07) 140.. ?

AjM
    Living in Blissful Ignorance

Status
    Yes, an 07 140 does not have a dpf

1st Gear

Status
    Interesting reading this...

Firstly, to my knowledge, DPFs are nothing to do with the MOT. The test does not test for particulates on emissions in this country and removal of the DPF does not affect the static emissions test.

There are some rumours from the tree hugging fraternity that in future cars should be tested for soot and particulate emissions, but they are nothing more than rumours. There are no official plans to test for particulates yet.

I have just purchased an 06 TDI 140 Cabriolet. Am I right in assuming now that this does NOT have a DPF?

If so, then brilliant! One less thing to worry about!

Neutral

Status
    i looked into this and had my astra 150 cdti diesel booked into Angel Tuning for dpf delete and remap (would have taken it to 200bhp and around 300lb's )........but then trading in against new 2004avant 1.8t sport - i'm very happy to get back into a VAG product - great build and nice touches throughout rather than the cheaper vauxhall build etc.

As previously posted 'at the moment' the DPF is not an mot requirement as they measure emmisions not what the car uses to acheive that reading. It did worry me that at some point the government could make the DPF and mot requirement but i'm not sure how they would discover it had been taken out....barring a mot shop seeing the re-weld on the exhaust box? I'm aware the tuners wont let you take the DPF home in a black bag which i'd have kept in garage in case it needed to go on at a later stage etc.

I'd certainly take the plunge unless i was doing constant motorway mileage - the regeneration process needs 15 odd miles at good speed to finish and if it does not finish i think it causes issues....

From my research i'd certainly look at Angel Tuning based around Oxford.

1st Gear

Status
    My 2006 avant tdi 140 does have a dpf

1st Gear

Status
    Just from my experience on various motoring forums, I have read hundreds of responses from people who have had the EGR delete, remap and/or DPF replacement pipe fitted on anything from VAG cars to Alfa 159s to BMWs and so on and I have yet to see one that ever said that they regretted doing the mod. All of them said that they got improved reliability, better economy, smoother running, better performance and so on.

The only downside I have ever heard of is that the engine does take a little longer to warm up on colder mornings. I'm sure most could live with that.

I am looking to get the EGR on my B6 1.9 TDI 130 Quattro Sport deleted very soon and the car remapped and also the EGR delete, DPF replacement pipe (if it has one) and remap done on the new B7 2.0 TDI 140 Cabriolet as soon as possible. Its an absolute no brainer.

Just for the record too, if the Govt bring in a particulates test as part of the MOT and make DPFs compulsory in the future it is highly doubtful that it will be done retrospectively and will apply to cars registered before the ruling is brought in.

J

Neutral

Status
    I was clearing the dpf on the motorway once a week, the car used to feel lumpy and sluggish. I used to waste fuel and time doing this, it was really annoying!

So I did some research as many companies do the dpf delete. In the end I booked it in with Rick @ Unicorn and he did a great job. He didn't quote me very high figures in order to get a sale - which alot of companies do, he was big on the reliability factor.. I opted for the the dpf delete and power increase.

The car now has been transformed as drives alot smoother and revs freely. It does smoke a little just like any remapped diesel when off boost.

Reverse Gear

Status
    This sounds interesting, does anyone know of a reputable company on the West Midlands that does the DPF delete? Also, if Audi serviced/MOT the car with the DPF deleted, would they moan about it?
    Now: A4 Cab S-Line Final Edition
    Then: A3 S-Line 2.0 TDi 170

1st Gear

Status
    The only thing Audi would have issues about would be the manufacturers warranty. I would imagine that any after market changes such as DPF deletes etc would VOID the warranty.

Apart from that I doubt that anyone would even notice.

Of course you have to bear in mind that if you take the car to Audi for routine servicing after you had got the EGR & DPF done and required remap, and they don't know about it, they will automatically plug your car into their computers and start updating the ECU software for bug fixes etc and will bu99er up your remap.

J

3rd Gear

Status
    For anyone whos into trying this themselves , the dpf can be cut open from underneath on the b7, three 16mm holes are then drilled through the dpf honeycomb while leaving the cat honeycomb intact.this has the same effect as a dpf delete but never causes the ecu to detect the dpf as clogged.
    Basically the dpf never regenerates, but is detected as fully functioning .saves you around 200 quid on a dpf software delete

4th Gear

Status
    The DPF will regenerate, it has to if it is still enabled in the software.
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com