Chris NottSky Insurance
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By marra_123

Thread: car turns over but will not start?!

Reverse Gear

Status

car turns over but will not start?!

Can anyone please help me? A4 TDI 170 on a 07 plate

I have an intermittent problem.. I get in the car and the engine turns over and over but will not start?? Ive noticed that when this happens the heater coil light does not come on at all?!
    After a while it can be 2mins to 10 mins of takin key in and out and locking and un locking car, all of a sudden the heater coil light comes back and boom it starts.. also doesnt miss a beat once its started?? its got me beat tho...

It shows no fault codes either!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thorsballs likes this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    possible cam shaft position sensor, they are well sensative on this engines. although far as im aware they arnt linked to glow plug light???
    A4 b7 170bhp quattro | 210bhp remap from Rick @ UNICORN MOTORSPORT ( 07880558534) | DPF deleted | EGR deleted | 19" TSW Zolder 5 custom bronze wheels | rs4 grill | rs4 22mm rear sway bar | lamin-x head lights, fog lights, side repeaters | custom carbon wraped chrome window trims | E M Tuning LED conversion lights | genuine audi s4 rear valance | genuine audi s4 quad exhaust system to fit diesel | cupra R splitter | black audi ring badges | alpine headunit, hertz spl sub with JL audio amp |

1st Gear

Status
    This issue used to haunt TDIs about 10 years ago. The problem then was the main ecu relay (provides power to the ecu) failed and didn't power up the ecu. A lack of glow plug light was always a giveaway. It was relay 109 which was faulty back then (on the Mk4 Golf platform etc.) but I'm not sure which relay it would be now.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replys guys! it was fine for about 2 weeks then last night it did it again, so i lifted the bonnet and slapped the top of the ecu and it fired up straight away!!!
    so i think your right its deffo a relay problem or worst case a ecu problem..

gettin a bit pissed off with it now it seems to be problem after problem, not bad to say i paid 25.5k new for a so called prestige car.....

3rd Gear

Status
    Have you sorted this, A mate has the same problem.
    A4 (b6) 2.5 TDi QS Saloon.

Lee Applin
    if its definatlly resolving the issue tapping the ecu you need to get it opened and examined and any dry joints reflowed etc, its not as uncommon as you think, i done a volvo dashboard the other day that had some dry joints

i use my gas iron on a low setting, it can melt solder ina few secs so i just wave it over most joints chips etc normally resolves it, bit like the old vauxhall edu units.

Reverse Gear

Status
    its deffo the ecu relay. i even went in behind the fuse panel and wiggled all the relays and its not done it for about a month now.
    just need to find which relay it is cuz audi aint interested in helping me. im still gonna change it, tho im gonna go down to audi so they cant fob me off.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marra_123 View Post
    its deffo the ecu relay. i even went in behind the fuse panel and wiggled all the relays and its not done it for about a month now.
    just need to find which relay it is cuz audi aint interested in helping me. im still gonna change it, tho im gonna go down to audi so they cant fob me off.
    I'm having the exact same problem as yourself - did you manage to solve the issue in the end?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Utred View Post
    I'm having the exact same problem as yourself - did you manage to solve the issue in the end?
    Any update on this one?

My car is a 56 A4 1.9tdi SE and is doing exactly the same thing...intermittent no glow plug light on dash and the car won't start. The only error code is 01314 (no communication). Slapped the plastic cover on the ecu box as the guy said above and it works!!

Do I change a relay? Which one? I am a total novice by the way.

Please help, it's seriously doing my head in now! Please!!!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    i have an audi a4 tid sline 170 on a 56 plate,had the same problem about a month ago i changed the relay under the ecu under bonnet,was a grey relay think the number was 614 but will check for defo on old 1 tomoz,was a bit fiddley to get the cover off ecu but not to bad.relay cost 26 quid form tps and was a little bigger than original but touch wood since i changed it it been ok,the relay was for fuel pump/main power relay for ecu,hope this helps

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mike81, thanks very much for you help/ advice. Ill get the relay swapped at the weekend. It's taken months for me to get the right answer to this fault, you wouldn't believe what so called "experts" at a couple of garages wanted to replace to fix this! Hopefully anyone else with the same issue will see this thread and won't have to fork out what I have over the last couple of months. If you can remember the relay number that would be great. Thanks again.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marra_123 View Post
    Can anyone please help me? A4 TDI 170 on a 07 plate

I have an intermittent problem.. I get in the car and the engine turns over and over but will not start?? Ive noticed that when this happens the heater coil light does not come on at all?!
    After a while it can be 2mins to 10 mins of takin key in and out and locking and un locking car, all of a sudden the heater coil light comes back and boom it starts.. also doesnt miss a beat once its started?? its got me beat tho...

It shows no fault codes either!

Any help would be appreciated!
    i dont know if this will help but i had a very similar issue with my petrol b5, it was the key reader around the ignition barrel that made the immobiliser not turn off, dont know if this helps but it sounded very much the same