Supermarket oil

clockwork.satan

Vorsprung Durch Yer Maw
Reaction score
With the pennies being a bit tight at the moment, I was looking for a good deal on oil for my TDi 140 and whilst strolling through Tesco's (as you do), I noticed that they're selling 2 Litres of full synth oil for a tenner. It says on the bottle that it's good for Audi/Volkswagen diesel engines so thought that this seemed like bargain of the century and bought some.

After topping up the oil (with a very small amount), the engine seems to be running nicely but - and I could be imagining this - fuel consumption seems to have increased a fair bit.

Now, if this is the case should I just go and get a full oil change to flush this stuff out or will it be ok to get better oil and top it up.... Or could I simply be imagining all of this?

i think these engines are a pd engine need correct oil

Well... Yeah. It's 5W/30 oil, which is the correct type (correct me if I'm wrong) for the PD engines.

Anyone else have any experience of the tesco oil?

As long as its the correct grade/viscosity of oil 5w/30 etc then it should be fine. Just remember one thing, as far as i know Tesco dont make oil. It just be labelled for them. The price is fair though. £10 for 2 litres is a fair amount. Maybe you should stock up, lol. :)

You're confusing the grade of oil (5w 30) with the specification of oil (VW505.01 or VW504/507 etc.)

All 5w 30 oils are not suitable for your engine, and unless the 5w 30 oil you use has the correct VAG specification then you run the risk of camshaft damage or other such problems. VAG as a company spend many hundreds of thousands on developing an oil spec suitable for their engines, so I'd be following their guidelines rather than saving a couple of quid and destroying my engine.

Just do a full oil service mate with edge/slx 3 as its also known, 1 name is retail other is dealer, also new filter :), given the job it does, I wouldnt scrimp on what to use tbh.

Euro Car Parts, Castrol EDGE 5w/30 using code MAYCP25 makes it £28-92.