Oil Usage on 2.0 TFSI ?

jb007

Reaction score
Hi

I bought an Audi approved A4 (B7) 2007 cabriolet last Nov and have covered approx 1000 miles, out in the car today and the display told me the oil was at the minimum level, physically checked and as it said minimum level, so:

Providing the oil was full when I bought (should have been audi 145 point check, so they say......), I presume this oil usage is not normal.

I did have the cam belt and water pump changed last week (Audi main dealer), I presume this shouldn't have effected the oil level ?

Also what type of oil should I use, as far as I'm aware the car isn't on the long life service program.

Any thoughts, advice ?

Thanks

Jonny Boy

Ye they use oil mate just get used to it sorry ! I use castrol edge 30 5w it aint cheap but its good stuff.

Excellent, thanks for the reply, I don't mind it using oil as long as its normal behaviour.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

I was told buy audi and local indi that any thing up to 1 ltr per 1000 miles is considered normal !!!!!

1ltr per 1000 miles normal........ WTF !!!! LOL mine never used much when i had one maybe 1-2ltrs every 12 thousand miles or so.....

Reactions: Phantom_A4
Mine uses a fair bit of oil as well. It was a shock as I've never had a car that needed topping up! The manual has some figure for what's considered normal, I don't have it to hand but I remember reading it and thinking "really?!". Have a look.

The 1 litre per 1000 miles is the max before I'd say you have a problem it's either leaking or being burnt.

Years ago that sort of oil consumption was "normal" for turbo cars but I'd not expect it on a relatively low bhp good condition engine and turbo. Even my forged engine Evo VI doesn't get close to that. Check for oil leaks then check the pipe from the turbo to throttle body for oil.

Had the car done a lot of miles?

Mines done 40k audi and still uses oil always has not as much as 1ltr per 1000mls i was mearly saying thats the point were audi consider it to be a potential problem. I am not worried my car is in good health.

Mines got 37000 on the clock, I must confess i wouldn't have expected to have to top up after 1000 miles. I don't know where the throttle body is, but i have had a look around the engine bay and can't see any oil splattered anywhere.

I'll have a look at the manual and pop down to audi tomorrow and see what they say, in the meantime guess i'd better get some castrol edge 30 5w and top up.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

I've had mine a year now and it happily uses 1 ltr every 800 miles, :)

Audi master techs at work seem to think it's perfectly normal, so I've never question it. I think I'd be more concerned if it wasn't using any oil at all. Plus I'm not shy on the accelerater lol!

craigcull:1580079 said:
Audi master techs at work seem to think it's perfectly normal, so I've never question it. I think I'd be more concerned if it wasn't using any oil at all. Plus I'm not shy on the accelerater lol!

Yup same here perfertly normal seems some use oil some dont but its nothing to worry about.

Same here, 50,000 miles now and it seems to be getting better. Can use upto 4 litres between services.

I have the blackest exhauest tips in the carpark at work!

I plan to change the pcv thing just incase.

Best keep plenty spare.

Popped down to Audi today and they said that 1ltr per 1500km was normal.

Guess i'll convert the boot to an oil tanker :haha:

Thanks for all replies.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

I would worry if it was the other way around, ie 90% not using oil and a handful drinking it!

Think it's an Audi "feature" a friend of a friend has an R8, that's exactly the same.

The R8 engine is a different beast, and I'll bet not long run in so the oil consumption should reduce as its run in.

My DTM has done roughly 8000 miles since I've owned it and has been in once for a service, outside of that it hasn't needed topped up despite the fact I was even leaking it from a failed vacuum pump seal.

I do need to point out that Weekenny is 100% correct, the R8 is indeed not a 2L 4 cylinder turbo for the hard of thinking ! ;)

That said, still don't worry about the oil consumption.

If you do get the valve stem seals changed and it stops then I'm sure many people on here would love to hear about it!

I've driven about 8,000 miles since my last service and it hasn't used any. I check my oil regularly, let the car warm up and cool down too.......seems really odd that it would use more unless there's a problem......

If the valve stem seals or turbo seals were leaking oil, wouldn't ya see plenty of smoke to go with it?

Really black tail pipes would be an early indicator for either. Oil in the pipe from the turbo to inlet would be a sign of turbo seals on the way out.

Thanks to Audi's bottom plate under the engine bay leaks can be hard to spot I missed mine till the MOT tester mentioned it.

if it was turbo seals you may also see lots of blue smoke when lifting off the throttle when you gave it a bit but i take it you aint getting this......(which would make me think it isnt the turbo oil seals)... now if the valve stem seals would just be slightly passing oil into the bores it would be less noticeable... few years back i brought a 1.8t with valve stem seals leaking and used a fair bit of oil this is why i say it's not normal because when the head was rebuilt it stopped the oil ussage to nearly nothink....but even with it using oil it still didnt blow blue smoke if im honest unless you stopped and reversed up and then you would see a small cloud of blue smoke.. after the stem seals was done it cured this.... the seals was that badly worn out you could smell and see oil on the end of the plugs once removed instead of the nice biscuit usual colour you should see.......this was a 1.8t not a 2.0 tfsi but once again very similar engines

Mines got 37000 on the clock, I must confess i wouldn't have expected to have to top up after 1000 miles. I don't know where the throttle body is, but i have had a look around the engine bay and can't see any oil splattered anywhere.

I'll have a look at the manual and pop down to audi tomorrow and see what they say, in the meantime guess i'd better get some castrol edge 30 5w and top up.

Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

All sounds normal to me especially as your only doing 1000 miles per six months which means your probably doing short journeys. This will lead to higher oil consumption compared to a car that sits on the motorway munching miles...

as above normal
iv got audis that dont use a drop
and iv had them that use 1ltr 800/1200 miles
the a3 uses 1ltr every 1200 or so and its used for short drives
when i was useing it for motorway runs it was around every 4/5K

The bulk of the runs I have done have been short (probably between 5 - 30 miles), with only a couple of longer ones (approx 150miles).

I will be off to Le Mans in it next month (approx 7 - 800) round trip, i'll top it up before I leave and see how it gets on on a long run.

The consens of opinion seems to be that the consumption is about normal and Audi did say the same too, so fingers crossed its not the valve stem or turbo seals.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

jb007:1581491 said:
The bulk of the runs I have done have been short (probably between 5 - 30 miles), with only a couple of longer ones (approx 150miles).

I will be off to Le Mans in it next month (approx 7 - 800) round trip, i'll top it up before I leave and see how it gets on on a long run.

The consens of opinion seems to be that the consumption is about normal and Audi did say the same too, so fingers crossed its not the valve stem or turbo seals.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

As i keep saying its fine mate i really wouldnt worry about valve stems and turbo seals !
Enjoy le man have you been before ?I went years ago and its the most amazing petrol head weekend ever just remember to take plenty of oil as well as booze lol

Marrow,

This is 6th or 7th trip to Le Mans, previous yrs in my old TVR Griffith 500.

You're right it is Petrol Head heaven, will be taking plenty of 'stella' & Castrol....

We've bumped into McNish before (after the race), perhaps I should ask him what the oil consumption is like on his audi !!!! :laugh:

Thanks for the comments and roll on Le Mans.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

jb007:1582368 said:
Marrow,

This is 6th or 7th trip to Le Mans, previous yrs in my old TVR Griffith 500.

You're right it is Petrol Head heaven, will be taking plenty of 'stella' & Castrol....

We've bumped into McNish before (after the race), perhaps I should ask him what the oil consumption is like on his audi !!!! :laugh:

Thanks for the comments and roll on Le Mans.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

Griff 500 down to le man living the dream !!