JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    1st Gear

Status

EGR valve location on 3.0 v6 tdi engine

Hi all, I want to clean my EGR valve to see if it helps with some cold running issues I have at the moment.

I've searched posts for this, but can't find any answer as to where the damn thing is located on the 3.0 v6 engine!
    My best guess is that it's in the middle towards the front, but I'm not sure, any ideas? Pictures would help if possible.

Also, how easy is it to remove, clean and refit, has anyone done this before?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Tiptronic

Status
    I don't know, but I'm having it removed at a garage on Saturday so can tell you after that...

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

1st Gear

Status
    Are you having it replaced or completely removed and blanked off?

Any help appreciated if you can find where it is!

Tiptronic

Status
    I'm just having it disabled. Little point in having it blanked off or removed as if it's delected from the ECU code it remains closed permenantly. Then if it needs to be re-enabled (for any reason), it should just be a case of re-instating the code (after cleaning it most probably). I'll keep you posted on Saturday

Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

1st Gear

Status
    ok cheers

Tiptronic

Status
    Hi Jas, sorry for the late reply, had a hectic weekend. I didn't manage to find the exact location of the EGR as it was just disabled in the ECU and not removed. Sorry I could be of no help. If you take the cover off the engine and follow the piping from the turbo it should be fairly easy to find...

Neutral

Status
    It is between the cylinder banks, attached to the egr cooler next to the right hand inlet manifold.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    A picture would paint a thousand words.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

6th Gear

Status
    Look for the shiny silver actuator with a rubber hose going to it...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers guys, I think I know where it is, and it looks almost impossible to remove!

Neutral

Status
    not as bad as you think to remove - get a copy of the elsa off the bay and it shows you- i can't work out how to post pictures on the forum.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi, I need some help guys.

I keep getting these fault codes;

2 Faults Found:
    4807 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
    P0401 00 [096] - Short to Ground

5215 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
    P0087 00 [032] - Cannot Be Tested at this Time

Car has done 100k miles/160k km, and I'm thinking it is EGR valve that need to be cleaned. What do you think?

Engine bay looks like a rats nest and I'm not really sure where to look fot the EGR valve
    I hope someone wiser can show me, here is the pic of engine:

2nd Gear

Status
    I got mine blanked and deleted from the ecu roughly located r/h side towards front of engine, aproxx 1 1/2 inch dia braided pipe between exh and inlet, i'll send you a pic if you pm me as i still cannot post pics or vids on here!
    Carl

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mongs View Post
    Hi, I need some help guys.

I keep getting these fault codes;

2 Faults Found:
    4807 - EGR System: Insufficient Flow
    P0401 00 [096] - Short to Ground

5215 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure: Too Low
    P0087 00 [032] - Cannot Be Tested at this Time

Car has done 100k miles/160k km, and I'm thinking it is EGR valve that need to be cleaned. What do you think?

Engine bay looks like a rats nest and I'm not really sure where to look fot the EGR valve
    I hope someone wiser can show me, here is the pic of engine:

Perhaps no use now as you posted so long ago but I came to this thread via a google search and thought perhaps place the info for if another in future turn up...

Yours to me looks like the later engine code CAPA 3.0 TDi V6 (same for later 2.7 TDI engine code CAMA & CAMB)

Red box is electronic EGR control valve... green box is the vacuum operated EGR cooling flap solenoid...

1st Gear

Status
    I blanked mine, but when the car went in for some work I got them to remove the EGR and clean it - but it was already clean, so I unblanked it again. Getting to the location of the EGR was a bit too much for me.

1st Gear

Status
    mongs - it might be worth blanking it first to see if it helps, it's an easy job to blank it. It will bring the engine light on though.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I did change the EGR valve, seems like the problem is (almost) gone. I've driven at least 10tkm with it and only once have gotten the same error code (no MIL light)
    The EGR I removed, wasn't busted or clogged but the replacement valve has worked better (error-free). Maybe it was electrical faul in the EGR, since it the flap is PWM-controlled..

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    I don't know, but I'm having it removed at a garage on Saturday so can tell you after that...
    Quote Originally Posted by carl-1968 View Post
    I got mine blanked and deleted from the ecu
    How much did you guys pay for EGR delete from ECU?

TIA
    G