Retro fitting fuel computer.

Roadrunner146

Reaction score
Hi there Forum members.
Just a quick question to get me started.
I have owned my A4 Quattro 2.0t fsi S-Line now for a month, and the only thing wrong is that it doesnt have a proper fuel computer, just the basic "How many miles in the tank" info.
Is it possible to retro fit the full Monty one by picking up the correct stalk and connecting the wires. Or will I have to swap the screen too.
Thanks
Brad.

It can be done DIY. I managed on my last car, although I must admit I'd almost be tempted to get it done for me if I had another car that needed it. Biggest ball-ache was wiring in a 'short' to turn off the washer level warning. I couldn't be bothered actually connecting up the sensor. Coding requires VCDS (or similar). Depending on what steering wheel control module you've got fitted you might need a new one (I did). This is more expensive than the new stalk and adds another level of coding required. Have you got cruise? I think if you do then you'll already have the right control module. If not, I'd be tempted to install both at once...

It can be done DIY. I managed on my last car, although I must admit I'd almost be tempted to get it done for me if I had another car that needed it. Biggest ball-ache was wiring in a 'short' to turn off the washer level warning. I couldn't be bothered actually connecting up the sensor. Coding requires VCDS (or similar). Depending on what steering wheel control module you've got fitted you might need a new one (I did). This is more expensive than the new stalk and adds another level of coding required. Have you got cruise? I think if you do then you'll already have the right control module. If not, I'd be tempted to install both at once...

You've been misinformed mate. Any Steering ECU in the A4, including the Low Line, will accept a Board Computer.

My car doesn't have cruise, not really bothered about that, but if thats just the case of adding a different stalk than I might consider it.
As for the coding, do I need VAG computer to do that. And whats the wiring. If I have a weakness, it's wiring.

You've been misinformed mate. Any Steering ECU in the A4, including the Low Line, will accept a Board Computer.

Thanks for the pointer - I wasn't actually misinformed, it was just a poor assumption on my part! I installed cruise at the same time and for that I did need a new steering control module. Wasn't sure about the DIS on its own.

From the OP's point of view it means DIS alone could be much cheaper than DIS + cruise (although perhaps worth checking what control module is actually in there before deciding on that?)

As for wiring, if you want the washer sensor installed it involves running a wire from the instrument cluster to the washer reservoir under the bonnet. I just earthed the wire behind the dash to shut off the warning.

Coding via VCDS is all I'm familiar with. The link in my sig can help with that. I'm sure other software is available but I can't comment on it.

I should have documented my install, but to be honest I just followed others that had done it before me so I'm sure there are a few "how-to"s online if you do a google...

Thanks for the pointer - I wasn't actually misinformed, it was just a poor assumption on my part! I installed cruise at the same time and for that I did need a new steering control module. Wasn't sure about the DIS on its own.

From the OP's point of view it means DIS alone could be much cheaper than DIS + cruise (although perhaps worth checking what control module is actually in there before deciding on that?)

As for wiring, if you want the washer sensor installed it involves running a wire from the instrument cluster to the washer reservoir under the bonnet. I just earthed the wire behind the dash to shut off the warning.

Coding via VCDS is all I'm familiar with. The link in my sig can help with that. I'm sure other software is available but I can't comment on it.

I should have documented my install, but to be honest I just followed others that had done it before me so I'm sure there are a few "how-to"s online if you do a google...

Ah, yeah a common misconception tbh as the A3 needs to have CC to have a trip computer and vice versa.

I agree, the A4 stalk for Cruise Control is cheap enough so if I was changing the DIS stalk, assuming the correct SCCM was in place I'd also add Cruise while I was there.

VCDS will tell you the installed part number. IIRC the last letter will tell you which SCCM you have, and it's something like F won't operate cruise, N/P will. There are others too I think (Q?). Sorry, it's so long since I did this I can't remember exactly but I'm sure this is documented somewhere (google).