Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Grumpy Old Man

Status

It never rains....

Today, when I left work, the car wouldn’t start. Lots of frantic clicks from the relays, and all ancillary electrics in shut down. Flat battery, methinks immediately. I flagged down a colleague and tried jumping it off his battery. All that did was overheat my (very very old) jump leads, and leave me with a burn on my hand. I called my breakdown company, and bless ‘em, they had a guy there in 35 minutes (in a proper loader too, as my car is a Quattro, and can’t be towed). Unfortunately, the truck wouldn’t go under the height restrictor to get into the office car park.

He tried jumping it off his portable booster, still not enough to start. So we had to manoeuvre the Audi out of its bay (nine point turn with no brakes or steering) & free wheel it down the ramp to the truck. He asked me if I had any previous problems. I told him the engine light was on after the inlet manifold flap motor link had come off (albeit I’d reattached it). “No worries”, he said, “I can reset that for you”.

Anyway, he connected his mega duty leads to the truck battery, and the car fired up right away. I switched all the lights, seat heaters, motors, aircon on while he checked the battery and alternator. All was fine, so I then switched everything off for the drive home. He went to reset the engine light, only we noticed it was out. It seems the shut down had somehow reset it anyway.

So now I have a dilemma. Was this a one-off glitch, or is it a sign that I need to buy a new battery?

Methinks I’ll know by the end of the week.

Meanwhile, my engine light is out, the manifold link is still attached, and the fault code reader I bought off Amazon should arrive tomorrow. So if the manifold link commits suicide again, I can keep pushing it back on and resetting the light while I decide on a strategy for sorting out the manifolds for good.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I called my garage, they said they could take the car in to test the battery & alternator this morning.

Unfortunately, car no startee.

Called the garage again, they came and started it off their portable booster and have taken it away.

Now I await the dreaded phone call.

A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.