Advice on egr valve

Gazthesparky

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a a4 b7 2.0ltr TDI and I'm not sure If it's just my imagination or if the engine is vibrating and noisier than usual while stationary

So I've read alot about cleaning the egr valve on the car so I'm going to have a look

The cars only done 41 thousand miles but the previous owner ran it on supermarket fuel so think it might be caked up

First things is do I need 2 new gaskets ?
Then is it carb cleaner I clean it with

And finally can I just check is this the valve in the picture and I'm guessing you undo the 3 Allen key bolts the 2 at the top and the 1 underneath ? Then undo the connectors and pull it out to clean

Do you then just replace the gaskets and bolt it back on ? Do you need to rest anything using vcds ??

Just got a few nerves as I don't want to try and fix something that's not broken and actually break it lol

Cheers

94777786.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow thanks I never thought of that how silly of me

No seriousily I did search spent the whole day researching and even read that thread

Was just asking for clarification as to the location and if in fact that was the egr valve that I'd taken a picture of because it looks different to picture I've seen of others

Gaz my mate is a mechanic, so i took it to him, he had mine off, cleaned out, new gaskets, back on 45mins (included us talking ****e and tea)

Just been to halfords and the only carb cleaner they have is wynss carb cleaner can it says for petrol engins can anyone confirm if this is ok to clean my egr valve? Or is there a desiel versition

Cheers

it'll probably be fine as your not really cleaning the carb with it

Wynns carb cleaner will be fine. If you could get 5 litres of brake cleaner that would be better as you can fill up a container with it.

I filled up something like an old ice cream tub with brake cleaner, and let it soak, then got busy with an old paintbrush.

A dirty horrible job!!

Well I did it used the a Tin of the wynns carb cleaner. It hasn't made any noticeable difference to the car when it's just idleling it still shake and vibrates the valve was certainly caked in carbon and now I've got black hands to prove it couple of photos of before and after

Before

51b6ba61.jpg

d54c60b5.jpg

After

5f59290d.jpg

So I'm not sure if the timing is out or it's miss firing so I believe u can check this with VCDS if someone could advice what I have to do to get these readings is be great full then if I could post the results up and if someone would be willing to look them over id be grateful because I haven't got a clue what is normal

Thanks for the advice up to yet

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaz, I'm no expert but everything I've read on these threads leads me to believe the symptoms u are experiencing are the dual mass flywheel failing not an engine issue.
My car does exactly the same, had the injectors replaced, cleaned the egr and will do the maf.

Sure someone will know better who has had the flywheel replaced, worth doing some more investigation though?

Mine does the same even though it had a new egr about 12 months ago and have only done about 4k since. Doesn't do it all the time though and I also see the rev counter moving which makes me wonder if mine is the dmf as I can't see how this would affect the actual revs.

Would like to get it sorted though

mine does the same thing. Ive changed the DMF and clutch but that didnt help. also cleaned EGR, new MAF, New turbo. still the same. i read somewhere that these engines to vibrate on idle and its the way the engine is. im not convinced. its got to be something thats causing it. the rev counter on mine doesnt move but u can still feel the car shake.

The revs dont fluctuate on mine either.
Surely if the engine was at fault you wolud see the needle moving or hear a change in tone?
My clutch is def on way out and will see about the dmf when it gets done.

I read they vibrate a little on idle although a few cars had this reduced by an ECU update apparently.