New clueless boy here! (Sorry Lads)

Hughesy

Reaction score
Hi fellas new owner of a b7 2.0tdi cabby sline got a problem with it at the moment. im getting vibration through the chassis when hitting 70mph +. ive had it checked over mechanically and nothing obvious. So had the 19" sline wheels checked to find the rear wheels were both slightly buckled, so ive taken them in to be checked and was given some temporarys on the rear by the refurbers whilst they straghteded mine. On my way home from there with to good rear wheels now the vibration is still there!?!?! anyone else had anythong like this?

Also want to retrofit cruise control into mine. Easy job or to much hard work?

Sounds like a man with experience. if the fronts were the same would i not feel it through the steering wheel than the chassis?

yes indeed you would! if the fronts were out, you would probably get a twitch on your wrist at a certain speed, the rears, more of a hum vibration!
get all 4 done, and then the balance issue is ruled out!
if its still doing it after this, get all 4 wheels aligned (your tracking done) in old speak, but with 4 wheel laser alignment as its more accurate!
this should fix it!
if not then it could be something more sinister mate!

Or a bearing. To be honest it could be the fronts as I thought the steering had some sort of damping to reduce vibration.

no its not a quattro, im not sure its a baring as theres no rumble or groan just a shake at around 70-75 when i get it back ill test it if not get the fronts looked at and get tracking done. Best to do the cheap stuff first eh?

i was however told today that in the cabrio's any slight out of alignment with either balancing, tracking or a buckle in an alloy you feel it alot more than you would if you were in a saloon. Aparantly it due to it having a lightened chassis and obviously being a convertable and not being as ridgid as the saloon.

no you feel it more because its stiffened, you have no roof so the chassis is stiffened with thicker metals and reinforcment, not because its lightened, if anything your heavy and stiffer. in car speak of course