Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Big Knob (From a 2009 TT) How to

Sorry couldnt resist the title! My DTM came with a very tired looking Alcantara Gearknob and steering wheel, The alcantara had become almost smooth leather and felt pretty grubby. Using the advice from places like detailing world i had limited success in restoring it by wrapping a hot wet kitchen towel round the areas allowing to soak and then carefully brushing with a small wire detailing brush however it nevere really looked good. here is the before

Here is the new Gear Knob

Now to remove the leather gaitor you need to manouver the gearstick to allow a bit of slack on the corner you are starting with and feel through the leather for the four clips which are stopping it from being able to be pulled up. Once you feel these you can carefully release them one by one using your fingers unlill the leather and chrome surround can be lifted up over the gearknob allowing you access to the spring clip seen here.

Ues pliers and a small screwdriver to burst this clip off and then the whole lot will lift off. (you will use a small hose clip to replace this or worst case a cable tie done up super tight)

then you need to remove the leather gaitor fro the old gear knob. ( i wish id taken pics of this bit but will try again) the leather is held on by the plastic bayonet fixing under the knob. you need to twist this until it releases allowing you to remove the knob from the leather. then the reverse to attach it.

make sure you line it up the right way up and its all nice and neat. then slide it onand use a hose clip to secure, fold the leather back down and your done.

It feels and looks much better IMO and matches my retrofit B8 S-line steering wheelo with the chrome inserts

the entire job took me less than 15 mins including trying to find my pliers at the bottom of the tool box.

you can get a good used gearknob on ebay for about £30 and the B8 WHeels are readily available as many people upgrade to the flat bottomed version. I like the look/feel of the newer ones and its made the interior a bit different which after all is what modding is all about

hope this helps someone have the confidence to go for a change

Adam
    Audi DTM edition, Sprint Blue, MRC remap, milltek, RS4 RARB.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Looks really good, great match, have you got a link fella. Is it OEM or aftermarket.

Cheers

Mac

Ah would you believe found one on the bay, cheers big knob lol
    Last edited by Macdoon; 25th April 2012 at 11:22. Reason: Found
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I changed my a3 one for a beetle sport one thats a nice one too.
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO MAP ,STATIS CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYTQ View Post
    I changed my a3 one for a beetle sport one thats a nice one too.
    Do you have a pic
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights, Brushed steel vinyl wrapped interior.

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Not sure and car is gone.
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO MAP ,STATIS CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    great mod!
    For Sale
    climate control (double din non chrome)
    Black roof lining (sportback)
    pm me for more info..

BBM: 28E07323

My Panoramic RetroFit

Neutral

Status
    thanks the knob was a Genuine OEM from a 2009 TT. fitted on perfect and sits about an inch lower than the stock one giving a kinda short shift effect.

5th Gear

Status
    Looks good. Leather cleaner and a micro fibre cloth worked well on my old one. They were a pain in the arse to keep clean though.

Much prefer my rs4 one, much less cleaning.. .
    Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2
    07 2.0T SLine SE V2 Quattro, Full Milltek with hi-flow sports cat, APR Stage 2+ 280BHP/325lb/ft, APR HPFP, K&N panel, S4 alloys, Spacers, Black Optics, Eibachs, RS4 grill and fogs, Fog tints, RS4 ARB, RS4 Gearstick, LCR splitter, Black Calipers, Drilled discs, Debadged, Colour DIS, Bose, Adaptive Xenons/DRL, Black/Silver Audi Exclusive leather, Audi Carbon inlays, carbon difuser/B pillars, RNS-E+/Bluetooth, Cruise, Int/ext light packs, Rain/light sensors, mudflaps, LED plate/side/boot/interior

Neutral

Status
    yeah the RS4 genuine one is sweet, but a LOT more cash and very hard to get for decent money secondhand. id like one but this will do for now

for anyone trying this here is a pic of the clips you have to undo and the hose clip i used. might help.

Status
    Nice job
    Black Audi RS4 2006 Exclusive edition, Black optic option (stock for now)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Looks nice, the RS4 one is very nice touch aswell, fitted it to my B6 S4, TT one is larger head which I think is probably better for usage tbh.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK