OEM style aftermarket GPS/DVD install. Stuck!!

hi2gav

Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

So i purchased one of these OEM style chinese all singing and dancing double-din head units to replace the standard concert (double-din) unit in my 2007 Cab.

Here is the link: AUDI A4----ZHUHAI WITSON INDUSTRIAL CO.,LTD.---Professional Car DVD Player Manufacturer

I am sure it will split opinion but it looks great and has a lot of features for the money. Got about to fitting it yesterday and once wired in, gave it a quick test and all seemed to be fine. However after i disconnected the battery again to run all the cables and fitted the unit fully into the dash, i went to reconnect the battery and have a play.

When doing so, the units rear illumination (buttons not screen) came on permanently and the unit would not turn on or function at all. This is a problem as it was doing so without the key in the ignition! As such i went to remove the head unit and check what had gone wrong with the wiring.

IT IS STUCK! I can seem to release 3 of the four corners with the keys but not the fourth and cant get the thing to budge. I ended up removing the fuse for the stereo so it wouldnt drain the car battery overnight.

Im pretty distraught about it as avoided using a fitter to save money and now i feel amateur and frustrated and i have no tunes in my motor, as well as a dash that cost me a fortune and looks great but doesnt work.

Anyone got any advice? Its ruined my weekend :(

Cheers

Gav

First of all the oem units use the high and low k lines to turn the unit on and off they don't use a switched ignition feed like most aftermarket systems there was talk on the forum the other week about this problem and someone suggested there's a relay unit avaliable to switch the ignition using the k lines

I'm sure someone will be around soon to link to it think it might have been NHN

Secondly can u remove the glovebox/drivers side cover to get to the back of the unit to try and release the unit

Thanks Gaz. To be honest i think i did something wrong with the aerials. The car has a double-aerial connector and my head unit was supplied with a lead that converted the two of these inputs into a traditional single one for my new head unit. The little green connector clips didnt perfectly fit into the car aerial plug so i 'made them fit'. When i tested the unit initially before actually fitting it into the dash i only connected one of these. Could this be the powere problem cause?

Regarding removing the unit, are you suggesting that i need to pull the dash apart to get it out? If so what parts exactly?

Thanks

Hi Gav, that looks like a lot of unit for the money if it's less than an RNS-E, can you buy them from their website? It only seems to have product info and no prices or ways to order? The TV unit looks like it does everything that you could ever want!

Let us know how you get on with the interface etc day-to-day if you get it working. Does it work with your orginal CD changer??

Thanks Gaz. To be honest i think i did something wrong with the aerials. The car has a double-aerial connector and my head unit was supplied with a lead that converted the two of these inputs into a traditional single one for my new head unit. The little green connector clips didnt perfectly fit into the car aerial plug so i 'made them fit'. When i tested the unit initially before actually fitting it into the dash i only connected one of these. Could this be the powere problem cause?

Regarding removing the unit, are you suggesting that i need to pull the dash apart to get it out? If so what parts exactly?

Thanks

The k lines are different to the arial connections the k lines are used as data lines and the whole car has them each contol module uses them to comunicate with eachother. When the ignition is switched on and off the car sends the data down the lines and tells the radio what state the ignition is in wether to switch The radio on or off

In regards to removing the unit yes the glove box is removed by removing the dash side panel where the door closes then there is 2 bolts bolting the glove box in underneath the glove box in the footwell then if u open the glovebox lid you will see 3 or 4 bolts along the front edge of the box. The glove box should then drop down giving access. Hopefully u can get to the head unit

Then the driver side panle. Again remove the side dash panel where the fuse box is you should see a bolt near to the light switch which holds the panel undo this bolt, then look in the footwell again and there will be 2 bolts simillar to the glove box holding the panel up. After then it's a little gental pulling at the panel to get it to drop down. There's some little clips that hold the trim panel in

Once this drops down u can unclip the diagnostic socket from the panel so u can remove it for better access

Again you can unplug the glovebox wiring to remove it completely but dont turn the ignition on or else it will bring on the airbag light which needs resetting via vcds (assuming u have the airbag key switch in the glove box )

With regard to removing the unit, I also have one of these aftermarket units, and when I was first installing, I also had issue removing it.

Firstly, don't panic, you may not need to go as far as what Gaz is suggesting.

Try this.

Make sure that the keys are all dead straight and not bent even slightly. If they are bent, they might be the reason for your difficulty.

Insert the top two keys until you hear each one click into place. After they have clicked into place, make sure that you can pull then towards the centre of the car slightly. When pulled together, you would be able to pull the unit forward very slightly at the top.
If it's one of the top keys giving issues, then remove the problem key and insert slowely until just before the click...Just as long and you can pull the keys together, and pull the unit out on one of them.

Next up insert each of the lower keys until they click in place.
If once the bottom keys are inserted, you are not able to pull the unit out pulling on the top keys, then try the same trick as above, inserting the key until just before it clicks.

Hope you come right without having to dismantle the dash. Sometimes, it takes just a little bit of fiddling to get it out.
Also, if the above all fails, see if you can get hold of the original Audi removal keys.

Another tip that B5Nut told me is don't use cheapo keys. They tend to be slightly too thin, using a decent set should get it out no probs. I did think this was a load of c*ap when I got stuck with my RNS-E but after using some decent keys it came out in a jiffy.

Thanks Gaz. To be honest that seems like a lot of work for someone of my level (i dont have a garage, most of the correct tools etc) as i am an 'enthusiast' at best. Probably should have paid a pro fitter in the first place, now i have to do it retrospectively with a risk of damage and greater cost. I have one locally, planning to get him to take a look somepoint this week. Time is very short for me at the moment which doesnt help either.

Thanks to the rest of you as well by the way, i suspected the cheap keys may have played a factor (my shredded fingers can attest!). Problem is that the current keys (some of them anyway) dont click in to anything (certainly if inserted perfectly straight) and sometimes slide all the way in to the ring. This means there is likely some damage to the clips that have caused them to catch, which is partly why i think it may be a case of taking the console apart. That said, i am fairly sure i can get all but the bottom right one to disengage.

Most frustrating!!!!

Hi2gav I'm not a Machanic I'm a enthusiast like yourself I just do lots of homework and research on the net so don't be daunted about removing the panels because it's easier than you think

As stated by viceroy you might not have to take the dash apart

Cheers Gaz, i'm not afraid to do it but my property lacks a garage which makes even a suitable location to have a go at it difficult. Whats more its the only car the wife and i currently have access to so hard for me to justify taking it apart when i dont know what i am doing or how long it would take to put right despite countless hours of careful reading!

Will get someone to have a look and report back on my decision.