Best Scratch Remover? Quixx?

Reaction score
I've found various reviews online relating to different scratch removers, seems the best one I can find is Quixx Quixx

It's a TUV approved 2 part scratch remover. I'm a bit cautious about using something which claims to 'leave a dull surface' after using the first compound and then using a second to restore the shine. Has anyone had any experience using this particular brand and how does the 'repaired' finish hold up to polishing/washing in the future?

Looking to combine the scratch removal with a touch-up of deeper scratches and stone chips. Can anyone recommend a product/method for 'levelling' the surface when applying a small amount of paint to an area where the damage has gone through to the primer/metal surface?

Thanks for your help guys

I've found various reviews online relating to different scratch removers, seems the best one I can find is Quixx Quixx

It's a TUV approved 2 part scratch remover. I'm a bit cautious about using something which claims to 'leave a dull surface' after using the first compound and then using a second to restore the shine. Has anyone had any experience using this particular brand and how does the 'repaired' finish hold up to polishing/washing in the future?

Looking to combine the scratch removal with a touch-up of deeper scratches and stone chips. Can anyone recommend a product/method for 'levelling' the surface when applying a small amount of paint to an area where the damage has gone through to the primer/metal surface?

Thanks for your help guys

hi mate, im a paint sprayer for skoda.

if im honest i dont see how these scratch removers can work. To remove a scratch it usually consists of blocking down with a bit of 1500/2000 wet and dry, until you cant see the scratch then machine polish with a course compound, then finishing with a fine compound, followed by wax polish. the only issue you have with that is there is a risk of going through to the basecoat or primer, so you tend to do it buy eye without having to paint the panel again.

so either these companys have developed a compound that does all of the above in 1 go, or they just simply fill the scratch, which isnt a long term fix. my basic rule for scratch removal is simple, if you can feel it with you finger nail (even slightly) theres a good chance it will need painting. if you cant its worth trying to improve it.

as for a recommended touch up.... i usually use either a needle (time consuming) or a piece of masking tape folded up in a triangle to give 3 pointy edges to make it easier to drop the paint into the chip/scratch. both usually end in a result that takes your eye off it, from a distance, but stands out like a stiffy in speedo's when your up close, once youve coloured it, you can then go over it with a fine dab of lacquer and block it and polish it, but this is risky as it can cause the paint to go through around the damaged area.

basically there is no real money saving way to fix something like this, even smart repairs can be poor as most smart repairers use a 1k lacquer which dull's off and offers very liitle protection. my advice to you is find a local garage that has a reputable painter, who will be able to look at it and tell you straight away if its a case of machine polish or paint.
failing that, send me a picture to rotate1@live.co.uk or post it on here and ill try tell ya by looking at the pic (worth a shot)
if ya get stuck im a leeds based painter, i offer very good money saving machine polishes etc.

sorry about the essay lol, but these things cant be explained in short paragraphs, hope this helps :)

Thanks Craig. Some of the scratches are very light and cannot be felt by touch, the rear panel in front of the wheel arch looks like it has been polished with sand paper at some point... :no: Which is what I'd be looking at using the scratch remover for. People who have used them seem to have had generally good results however I just don't understand how they can work?

I saw a tutorial online about using 'paint leveller' in a small scratch that had gone to the primer and then painting very carefully on top of the filler to give a smooth finish, have you had any experience using this method?

I took the car to a paint shop locally yesterday and he said for the light ones get a touch up pen or scratch remover, hence my original post. There is a scuffed side skirt which is the main problem, along with multiple stone chips, but if I can find a good 'paint leveller' product I'd be willing to invest the time in making it smooth a painting over the top of the affected area line by line.

I've touched up scratches before using a touch up brush, but you could still see where the scratch had been due to the different in paint level (same colour but scratch outline indentation still remained). I was hoping to be able to make a better job of it this time if possible!

to be honest mate, in the 11 yrs ive been in the trade, ive never used anything like it. but im there purposely to refinish, so ive never been introduced to these methods either.

if the info and recommendations are good then its probably worth a try, but i know if it goes wrong it can be costly. when i used to work for a company that dealt with ferrari lamborghini and porsche, they had us touching in bonnets that looked like they had been shot with a shot blaster and the result was always the same. i would end up painting it. i suppose them levellers could work, but for it to be strong and last it would need to be based on a 2k acrylic lacquer which is whats used on all cars.

i repainted the full front end of mine when i bought it due to stonechips. coz i knew it would never look right.(to me)

what colour is your car?

somewhere reasonable would charge around £200 + vat for your bonnet to be painted and maybe £100 for each other bits.
is it worth saving? how much are these scratch removal kits?

The car's dark green pearlescent, and it's done high mileage hence it has it's fair share of wear and tear marks on the bodywork. The stone chips annoy me and I'd love to get rid of 95% of the imprefections on the bodywork so I would no longer be ashamed to park at AITP in the summer. But a bonnet respray seems a bit OTT, plus it wouldn't be a bonnet respray, if it were to go to a body shop it would probably be:

Bonnet
Both Front Wings (stone chips on the front of the arches)
Side Skirt
Rear quarter panel (both sides for different damage)

None of this damage is shocking to look at, but at the moment there isn't one panel I can look at and see a flawless finish apart from the doors (and the soft-top roof!), and I'd love to be able to get it looking A1 again.

The scratch removal kits are under £10, so the money aspect for the kit isn't a problem even if I needed a few to do all the affected areas. I'll give it a little longer and see if anyone who's used the kits can chip in (no pun intended) with their 2 cents on how the finish turned out.

Cheers for your advice Craig.