Which A4?

Pops848

Reaction score
Hey,

I've got an Audi A3 1.8T, but am now looking at A4's for the mother! She has had a recent change in job that requires lots of motorway miles. I'm looking into an A4, must be diesel, thinking the 2.0 TDI SE S Line. Got roughly 7K to play with so my question to all the A4 owners is which model is most preferable? I know my A3 inside out, common faults, what to do for services and what to look out for when it comes to buying one.
Can anyone give me any advice that I can use to look for a good diesel A4, and what to look for so I can haggle the price down as much as possible?

Thanks

Well my mother is 67 and has had a 140 tdi auto for about 6 months and its been fine so far. The auto doesnt get much love but she needed an auto and its ok for her. The mpgs isnt that great even from the 140. If she isnt doing mega miles i would check out petrol first. I have a170 diesel which is great imo but has issues.

Haggle stuff like cambelt, tyres etc. I got a decent deal on mine. 8.3k for 88k 2007 170 diesel avant S line with nav, bluetooth auto lights and wipers and has like motorsport type wheels which are audi but i never seen them before. Only thing it doesnt have is leather which i not too fussed really.

2.0 tdi 140. I'd stay away from 170. Check out dpf and oil pump/balance shaft issues. Again check out petrol depends on mileage etc.

i dont see how you can say the mpgs aint good from the 140
im geting just over 700 from a tank motor way and around 60 miles back roads
and thats doing 80/85 mph
as above the 170 has issues

My mothers 140 auto does high 40s mpg. Never seen it over 50. Her B6 1.9tdi did mid 50s no problem. Being an auto doesnt help. This is from the DIS which isnt that accurate AFAIK.

Hey,
Thanks for the replies. What's up with the 170's compared to the 140's? Thanks for the advice

My understanding is both 140 and 170 suffer balance shaft failure, read the long thread on this forum. 170 also has injector recall and has a dpf and associated issues that come with that. MPG on my 170 is very poor too.

Cheers

Matt

A4 Cabriolet, will make your Mum's day!

As mathew999 says pretty much all B7 diesel engines have weak oil pumps. Although don't forget the internet is full of horror stories of car engine failures so try to keep perspective. 170s have injectors replaced free, the DPF can be removed and mapping should squeeze a couple more MPGzz I love my 170 but wouldn't recommend the engine. I do think it is better than say a TFSI but not by much and not enough put it that way - hence suggesting look at a petrol just in case. However my last vehicle was 4.0 petrol 4x4 which was very low 20s on a good run! To me the 170 is great!

Thanks to everyone for their replies. After reading the oil pump failures in the long thread on here I've decided to avoid this year / engine number. I know it might not happen, and it can be prevented etc etc but being that it is going to be a business car, with high miles and has to be 100% reliable ( I know no car is) we've (being me) have opted to go slightly newer and fork out a bit extra cash for the 2006/7 onwards. Whilst they will have their fair share of problems, the oil pump is not one (I believe) so that's what I am no on the hunt for.

Ive just bought an 2007 A4 2.0 TDI 170 black edition and reading these horror stories about the oil pumps etc is really starting to scare me a little now :-(

Do they all have this problem or did the modify the parts by a certain age????

sorry to hijack your thread.

AFAIK its not just the 170s, its both 140 and 170 output models. It is the engine code that determines how likely you are to have a problem. I've got a 2007 A4 170 Avant as well and mine has a BRD engine which is probably what you have (its in the service book I believe) and the BRD engine is on the list of those prone - although the list of engines not prone is very low.

Only thing I could think of that might help is regular oil changes - like every 6 months or X miles just in case.

Frankly don't worry about it. You've bought the car now so unless you sell and get a petrol its always going to be there. Just cross your fingers and enjoy.

Your right my engine is a BRD and has done 36k, what kind of mileage do these problems tend to occure or is it not down to mileage???

Also does my model have the injector issues and if so how would i find out if they have been replaced under warranty?

Your right my engine is a BRD and has done 36k, what kind of mileage do these problems tend to occure or is it not down to mileage???

Also does my model have the injector issues and if so how would i find out if they have been replaced under warranty?

I have the 170 BRD, on 65k, injectors replaced, running great no other issues, so far.
Just contact Audi with your reg, they will tell you if your injectors need changing

Mac

I would say they probably do need replacing. My local dealers replaced all 4 and the loom FOC.

Watch they don't ring you with some cobblers about it needing x or y - they do this to make a few quid out of you. Mine wanted £150+vat for an oil change - yeah, OK! :)

Mines done 89K and seems OK. Having DPF and EGR removed and mapped tomorrow :)

I would say they probably do need replacing. My local dealers replaced all 4 and the loom FOC.

Watch they don't ring you with some cobblers about it needing x or y - they do this to make a few quid out of you. Mine wanted £150+vat for an oil change - yeah, OK! :)

Mines done 89K and seems OK. Having DPF and EGR removed and mapped tomorrow :)

Excellent, keep us posted as to how the car is after fella

Mac

I've just rang Audi and they said my car hasn't had the injectors done and is over due so I need to get it booked in.
I have heard a few people on here saying that their car went in to Audi for the injector recall running and came out running crap, worse than when it went in???
This is a little worrying.
Do they definatly need replacing?
Audi said they check them first and if there fine they leave them??? Is this the case??

The lad at my local Audi said that its a certain batch of injectors - how some get changed and others not I don't know. I think the problem is that one injector may fail and it shuts the engine down which wouldn't be the safest thing in the world doing 80 on the motorway. I don't know why they would change like 1 or 2.

As for running poor afterwards, I don't know. Maybe the job is rushed and they aren't fitted properly. I don't see why it would actually cause rough idle/drive. I'd be tempted to disconnect the battery overnight and see if that resets the ECU. Might help. Mine has done the rough idle thing since having the injectors changed. It did it once beforehand but I'd only had the car 2 weeks.