Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    206

    Question Rough idling - has anyone ever resolved this ?

    Hi,

    My 2.0 tdi 170 2007 , like quite a few others it seems, can be a bit rough idling, runs fine otherwise and is only rough now and then ( maybe about 30 - 40% of the time ) . I can see the rev counter bobbing up and down slightly. It makes me a bit concerned when stuck in traffic etc that it may cut out.

    I've noticed a few posts on here and other forums.

    Anyone here had this and been able to fix it ?

    Many thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    71
    A nackered dual mass flywheel can cause rough idle.. had this a few times

  4. #3
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,540
    at work ive had a heavy misfire on a 54 plate bkd engined mk5 golf at the beginning of the week. using lots of coolant too.
    a previous garage had fitted a new injector in no1 a few weeks ago.......
    anyway the cylinder comparisons showed no1 cyl was way out. did a compression test, also showing no1 was down on compression.
    while i was removing the head, to my amusement, on removing the inlet manifold i saw coolant all pooled up on the back side of one of the closed inlet valves!! so the head is cracked.
    not only that once the head was off you can plainly see no1 piston is roughly 2mm lower in the bore than no4 piston is. so its obviously been hydraulicing on the coolant on start up.

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    161
    MM707 - has your car gone back to Audi to have its injectors replaced?

    I noticed mine idled lumpy a couple of Saturdays ago. It hasn't done it since it had the injectors and loom changed. Might be connected might not but worth getting it done if not already just to eliminate them.

    How would a DMF affect idle? Interested to know as mine was lumpy at one point.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
    MM707 - has your car gone back to Audi to have its injectors replaced?
    Hi - yes it has had the injectors replaced a few months back. Doubt it's related but it has always taken a few more turns to start from cold since they were replaced.

    If the DMF was faulty would it not be irregular all the time ?

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    71
    a faulty dmf can throw the engine out of balance and give lumpy idle, it can also be intermitent depending on engine conditions

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    161
    Oh right - yet another thing to worry about :D

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by deian3387 View Post
    a faulty dmf can throw the engine out of balance and give lumpy idle, it can also be intermitent depending on engine conditions
    Thanks for the info - is there any way to test the dmf ?

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by murran View Post
    at work ive had a heavy misfire on a 54 plate bkd engined mk5 golf at the beginning of the week. using lots of coolant too.
    a previous garage had fitted a new injector in no1 a few weeks ago.......
    anyway the cylinder comparisons showed no1 cyl was way out. did a compression test, also showing no1 was down on compression.
    while i was removing the head, to my amusement, on removing the inlet manifold i saw coolant all pooled up on the back side of one of the closed inlet valves!! so the head is cracked.
    not only that once the head was off you can plainly see no1 piston is roughly 2mm lower in the bore than no4 piston is. so its obviously been hydraulicing on the coolant on start up.
    ^^^^ second hand engine came today. its pretty much all stripped ready to come out. just two engine mounts and drive shafts left to undo.

    dmfs you can tell by the rattling they make on start up and switch off. intermittent rattling on tickover coinciding with the shaking. also by pressing/slipping the clutch slightly while idling, does this change the "misfire" symtoms?
    apart from the above, no, its not something you can test without stripping the gearbox off.

  11. #10
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,540
    spent most of the day on it today. all done, all seems fine. chap collected it bout half 5. definalty wasnt the injectors cus its got its originals in it and its running perfectly.

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    25
    In the case of my '56 plate BKD, injectors are the main suspect.

    Haynes manual says that they could require replacing at 60k, although I find that pretty hard to stomach.

  13. #12
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    373
    Haynes manuals belong in the bin!
    Things have moved on a long way since they stopped being useful.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th April 2014, 23:30
  2. Rough idling at wits end 1000pounds later!!!
    By Sevv in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 20th March 2012, 12:50
  3. A4 2.0 FSI rough idling when cold & no fan fuse
    By manosskali in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22nd August 2011, 12:41
  4. Rough Idling issue (updated) 1.8T (163)
    By AudiJohn in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th June 2011, 12:16
  5. HELP PLEASE !!! - idling rough
    By AudiJohn in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th January 2011, 09:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO