Indecisive auto wipers

alex.stanley

Reaction score
Driving along in the rain yesterday, the wipers were wiping intermittently and then onto slow speed as the rain got heavier, but every now and again it was doing a high-speed wipe - felt like the auto wipers were being slightly indecisive.

I've had auto wipers in a BMW and a Golf mk4 before and neither of them did this, so I'm wondering if it's a fault. Does anybody else have experience of this? Is there a sensitivity that can be turned down in VCDS?

Thanks.

There's a sensitivity control on the wiper stalk. Up = maximum sensitivity, down = minimum sensitivity with a few steps in-between.

There's a sensitivity control on the wiper stalk. Up = maximum sensitivity, down = minimum sensitivity with a few steps in-between.

Really, I thought that speed position was only when it was up 2 notches, as 1st notch is auto & the speed setting wasnt active in auto mode.

Really, I thought that speed position was only when it was up 2 notches, as 1st notch is auto & the speed setting wasnt active in auto mode.

im with petroldave, was messing with mine yesterday in the rain and that little thumb wheel thing deffo changes sensitivity even when on auto

You're mixing up speed and sensitivity.

First position = auto, with sensitivity controlled by the thumb wheel and can wipe intermittent, slow or fast speeed.

Second position = slow speed continuous

Third position = fast speed continuous

my auto wipers are a little inconsistant, not sure ive noticed the same as you, but do notice for example stopping completely, when actually its raining quite a bit....that kind of thing.

pita imo. might turn them off!

out of interest, how olds your windscreen? mine is original really stone chipped, so have always wondered if a new windscreen might make a difference?

You're mixing up speed and sensitivity.

First position = auto, with sensitivity controlled by the thumb wheel and can wipe intermittent, slow or fast speeed.

Second position = slow speed continuous

Third position = fast speed continuous

I'll have a play as swear mine dont do this on the 8P & my B6 didnt react that way, I know the 8P can be coded with a chassis specific sensitivity, but who knows on the B6/7.

I cant understand the logic in that either, thats not to say you're wrong Dave, but audi's thought process, as you'd have to constantly move the thumb wheel back if used on non auto mode.

Yeah, so anyway... ( ;) )

Has anybody else experienced anything similar, or should I be booking it in at a dealer for them to diagnose?

wait untill it rains again n see what happens, noticed mine are sometimes slow to clear rain than other times, possibly relevant to road speed or could be that simply the required amount of rain drops did not fall on the sensor, afterall rain fall is random ;)

Im not trying to throw another teory into the mist but this is how i got tought they work.
First notch up:
To start with they willbe on Normal Auto which means that they willl look at the time it takes for the eye to have droplets on the window/ get submerged in water, if it gets submerged in X msecs it will go to high speed etc.
When you move the thumb wheel at all you move out of auto wipers and it is controlled on timming between strokes only! you adjust the timing, this is why you will never get the high speed once you have moved the tumb wheel.
If you want to be back in auto you turn them off and back on, but then the thumb position means nothing once again.
Everyone knows the next notches up so i will not bother.

I'm pretty sure ALL the notches just adjust sensitivity and not speed. If you're having intermittent problems, try cleaning or wiping the area of the windscreen where the sensor is located (behind rear view mirror) and see if that helps it at all.

I'm pretty sure ALL the notches just adjust sensitivity and not speed.
+1

If you have auto wipers there are no timed intermittent settings, all the switch positions are just variations on the sensitivity.

Anybody read the manual? Lol... On mine I think the adjustment chances sensitivity, as it goes and all speeds regardless of the position.

Try rain-x on your windscreen, I found that my auto wipers were loads smoother after using that

This has become a major annoyance for me - it's still doing it. I end up driving down the motorway in pouring rain (but not enough to use "speed 1") with the wipers off and the using the flick function to decide myself when they should wipe. Not particularly safe.