Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

CD changer Product Cod? can read MP3 CDs?

hi guys. my A4 B7 is with Audi concert2 +. And i'm looking for a CD changer for it. Can anyone find the Product Code for me plz?
    Also, does the CD changer read MP3 CDs? as i know my head unit can read MP3 CDs.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    Also, does the CD changer read MP3 CDs?
    No it doesn't.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear

Status
    Have glovebox mutichanger & it reads mp3
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

Reverse Gear

Status
    What's your part number if you know something about it?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdoon View Post
    Have glovebox mutichanger & it reads mp3
    Then it's not the Audi OE CD changer for the B6/B7 - that only reads audio CDs.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    Then it's not the Audi OE CD changer for the B6/B7 - that only reads audio CDs.
    No disrespect but...........it's OEM fitted by Audi, and i'm playing cd's loaded with mp3 tracks, and if it shouldn't then bonus for me

Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler.

Back from the dead

Status
    I could be wrong, but won't the head unit determine what can be played? I'd have assumed the changer is just a reader (I.e. it reads 1s and 0s irrespective of what encoding they represent)? So if you both have the same OEM changer, but with different head units, then maybe that's why you have different experience of what can be played?

Just a thought! :-)

Reverse Gear

Status
    CD changers are analogue units, so they don't provide digits to the head unit but an audio signal - the processor is in the changer I'm afraid

5th Gear

Status
    No disrespect but...........it's OEM fitted by Audi, and i'm playing cd's loaded with mp3 tracks, and if it shouldn't then bonus for me
    What's the Audi part number then?

Every Audi forum I've visited over the last 10+ years has had posts from Audi owners saying:

- Symphony II internal CD changer plays only audio CDs
    - Symphony II+ internal CD changer plays audio and MP3 CDs
    - glovebox changer only plays audio CDs not MP3 CDs, regardless of the head unit (as already said the Cd changer to head unit connection is analgoue)

And you're saying different to that...

Are you 100% sure the tracks are saved as MP3 files and that your burner hasn't changed them to audio format (as that's what Windows Media Player does when you tell it to burn a CD from MP3 files)?

Try taking one of your "MP3" CDs out of the glovebox changer and putting in your PC - what files are shown? It wouldn't surprise me if they are not xxx.MP3 but xxx.CDA files...
    Last edited by PetrolDave; 18th March 2012 at 10:05.

5th Gear

Status
    What's the Audi part number then?

Every Audi forum I've visited over the last 10+ years has had posts from Audi owners saying:

- Symphony II internal CD changer plays only audio CDs
    - Symphony II+ internal CD changer plays audio and MP3 CDs
    - glovebox changer only plays audio CDs not MP3 CDs, regardless of the head unit (as already said the Cd changer to head unit connection is analgoue)

And you're saying different to that...

Are you 100% sure the tracks are saved as MP3 files and that your burner hasn't changed them to audio format (as that's what Windows Media Player does when you tell it to burn a CD from MP3 files)?

Try taking one of your "MP3" CDs out of the glovebox changer and putting in your PC - what files are shown? It wouldn't surprise me if they are not xxx.MP3 but xxx.CDA files...
    Well I'm no techy, but I will defo stick one in my laptop and see what happens, the daughter says the music she has put on disc are mp3!
    But chill out a bit, and I'll let you know

5th Gear

Status
    Well I'm no techy, but I will defo stick one in my laptop and see what happens, the daughter says the music she has put on disc are mp3!
    That's my point, unless you specifically tell Windows to create a data CD it will convert the MP3s to CDAs - so if you just burn MP3s onto a CD you end up with an audio CD and not an MP3 CD.

But chill out a bit, and I'll let you know
    No need to chill, I'm sub-zero.

5th Gear

Status
    That's my point, unless you specifically tell Windows to create a data CD it will convert the MP3s to CDAs - so if you just burn MP3s onto a CD you end up with an audio CD and not an MP3 CD.

No need to chill, I'm sub-zero.
    I bow to your knowledge Dave, learn something new everyday, daughter is in for an arse kickin' lol

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I concur with Dave on this one, WMP does this 100%, if you dont specify, but as said, quick check is put disc into pc/laptop, check what file extensions are being used.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Back from the dead

Status
    Another (quicker) check is for you to just define 'loaded with'. If each disc has 100s of tracks then they aren't audio CDs. If just 10-20 then probably are...